Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: You play when you're told

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    And what do you think the other clubs would think of that? What if Widnes make the top 8 or top 4 on the strength of those two points meaning that a club ends up in the middle eights or loses a home game in the super eights? .
    I hate to agree with you, especially in an open forum, but I was going to say exactly the same.

The Widnes v Wigan game later in the season should be at Widnes.

Widnes may have got Wigan out of a mess and could lose out. For tonight's game they have had no time to sell corporate hospitality and sponsorship packages so have lost that income and they had probably already have Match Sponsors etc arranged for their home game against Wigan which not only could they lose for this season but those sponsors may not bother coming back.

Also, as some have said. The fans of both clubs. Some may travel a far distance (like some of our fans) and have had these disrupted at the last minute. Whilst it is not a great distance from Wigan to Widnes getting from to the other if you have booked trains and hotels it could be frustrating.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

You'll play when you're told
    You're just the rent boys

or

What's it like to own a ground?
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Banned

Manager of the Hull football club very publicly saying that it's "impossible" for RL to continue to also be played at the KC Stadium.

I know the stadium is owned by the council, and presumably Hull FC have a long (and hopefully watertight!) tenancy agreement, but with the money washing around in football, and the staggering level of Tory funding cuts for councils, for the football team to be saying this so openly must be a concern.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39245451

Banned

To add, any self-respecting RL fan should now boycott the football club.

Luckily, Hull have been so sh*t this season, they're hopefully going to be relegated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Manager of the Hull football club very publicly saying that it's "impossible" for RL to continue to also be played at the KC Stadium.

I know the stadium is owned by the council, and presumably Hull FC have a long (and hopefully watertight!) tenancy agreement, but with the money washing around in football, and the staggering level of Tory funding cuts for councils, for the football team to be saying this so openly must be a concern.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39245451
    To be far I think he meant the night before Hull City play at home that is why Hull Fc try to play on a Sunday when the football team are at home

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    To add, any self-respecting RL fan should now boycott the football club.

Luckily, Hull have been so sh*t this season, they're hopefully going to be relegated.
    Stuff like that annoys me. The Hull City manager probably didn't even know were Hull was before the job was offered to him. They're a nothing football club that's never won anything and are now acting like the top dogs in a RL city simply because they have PL money and a load of bandwagon fans who didn't care a jot about them ten years ago.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/...o-postponement

Unbelievable! They blatantly break the rules as they think they are bigger than the game, make a laughing stock of it, but it's not deemed worthy of any kind of punishment. Whoever said crime doesn't pay had obviously never heard of Wigan rugby league. Once again, the RFL proves ridiculous decisions are just the norm for them.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

No wonder attendances are an issues when clubs treat their fans like this and get away with it.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    No wonder attendances are an issues when clubs treat their fans like this and get away with it.
    Wigans attendances are up on last years!!

At least the game was played on the stipulated date, with no disadvantage to the two teams and the attendance at Widnes was about the same or even higher than last season.

At least the game was played on the stipulated date, with no disadvantage to the two teams and the attendance at Widnes was about the same or even higher than last season.
    I'm talking about the wider implications of this decision. Don't think the attendance at last Saturday's cc q final at the HJ was brilliant.

In The South Stand

There was certainly a disadvantage to some fans though who couldn't attend because of the venue change.

In any case the whole saga has taken months to sort out when it should have been dealt with in the week after.

http://talksport.com/rugby-league/su...e-postponement

I'd love to know who was on this "Independent Panel?" Given the minor slap on the wrist it might as well have been Ian Lenaghan, Maurice Lindsay and Shaun Wane on the Panel.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

How many Widnes fans couldn't go as this was supposed to be an away game, and on TV?

How much corporate income did they lose by the lack of notice for this game and any prearranged bookings for the return game now being invalid?

Why did Wigan just cancel the game without consulting with the league, Widnes, the referee and Sky?

And, the icing on the cake in this utter farce, why was an apparently waterlogged pitch being watered at HT in the Latics game the next day?

It's a complete joke and once again Wigan have shown complete contempt for the fans and the game as a whole.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

The sheer arrogance of Wigan never ceases to amaze...

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugb...agan-1-8627309

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    The sheer arrogance of Wigan never ceases to amaze...

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugb...agan-1-8627309
    With the Working Party discussing Wigan and Leeds I'm not sure how much consideration other clubs will get. The rest should not have to change to accommodated clubs that do not have a ground.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Not arrogance, but the two biggest clubs in British R.L should have a major say in things.

This year Wigans 1st round game was away at Salford, Wigan Athletic were away that weekend, wouldn't it have made sense to schedule Wigan R.L. a home game leaving the stadium free for the Latics the next weekend?

However, strangely, the two Widnes v Wigan fixtures this season have attracted higher attendances than in 2016, despite both clubs being lower in the league table than last year
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 2nd July 2017 at 19:27.

Not arrogance, but the two biggest clubs in British R.L should have a major say in things.

This year Wigans 1st round game was away at Salford, Wigan Athletic were away that weekend, wouldn't it have made sense to schedule Wigan R.L. a home game leaving the stadium free for the Latics the next weekend?

However, strangely, the two Widnes v Wigan fixtures this season have attracted higher attendances than in 2016, despite both clubs being lower in the league table than last year

Should it not be the two biggest clubs that have their own ground have a major say in things?

Then what you are saying is that the RL should look through all the football fixtures before setting their own fixtures. Do they then take into account there may have been a wedding on at the DW that weekend as well?

Your point about attendances cannot be quantified. There are too many variable factors to take into account.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Banned

Boom!

If it was a one-off incident then I would agree with the schedule you suggested.

However, when the Super League season starts in February, Wigan Athletic are likely to have somewhere between 8 and 10 home fixtures remaining in their season, particularly now they are in the lower leagues. Where there are between 8 and 10 potential clashes, I don't think it is practical, nor is it correct, that the RFL should schedule Wigan's (and therefore other teams matches) around when is convenient for a third division football team. I also think it is unfair to level criticism at them regarding scheduling when so many potential clashes arise.

Really, it shouldn't even be an issue as there has been no direct clash between football and rugby this season as Wigan RL's regular gameday is a Friday, a Wigan FC's is a Saturday. To the best of my knowledge, the other ground sharing clubs (with the exception of Salford on one occasion) have never failed to fulfil a fixture, and none have unilaterally postponed a match at 24 hours notice. If all other clubs are able to make suitable arrangements to play both football/union and RL on one pitch on a weekend, then I can't see why it is so difficult for Wigan to do the same.

I don't agree with the arguments regarding the pitch either. There has been a claim that it is too much to do to turn a pitch around between a Friday 8PM rugby clash, and a Saturday 3PM football clash. Yet last year (Easter Monday I believe), it was not a problem for the ground staff to sort out the pitch for a rugby match where a football match had been played earlier that day.

As for the crowds, I would assume that the reason the higher crowds this year may be because all 2016 matches were on Thursday nights, which traditionally attracts poorer crowds?

Banned

Taking my Saints head off he is actually correct Leeds get by far the biggest average attendance each Year,Wigan as a town are known for rugby league Fat Lasses and Pies.

Banned

However, strangely, the two Widnes v Wigan fixtures this season have attracted higher attendances than in 2016, despite

both clubs being lower in the league table than last year
    Sorry Rogues that does not wash. St Helens in real terms are a bigger club, your rental to lanlord a division 1 football club is frankly embarrassing and works very much against you. St Helens own the best Rugby stadium of either code in Britan. We consistently since the Second World War
    have been top 4 and contested major finals. The St Helens club has retained its top flight status in every guise of RFL competition unlike our neighbours. Attendence wise I would imagine Wigan lead the way since 1945 across all clubs but overall I would say St Helens are the market leader within a defined spread of what makes a resilient business and strong club since 1945 which is a more realistic measure than just super league which you would not be ranked in the top two by any sane individual in fact as a club since 1990 I would call Wigan morally inept.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Sorry Rogues that does not wash. St Helens in real terms are a bigger club, your rental to lanlord a division 1 football club is frankly embarrassing and works very much against you. St Helens own the best Rugby stadium of either code in Britan. We consistently since the Second World War
    have been top 4 and contested major finals. The St Helens club has retained its top flight status in every guise of RFL competition unlike our neighbours. Attendence wise I would imagine Wigan lead the way since 1945 across all clubs but overall I would say St Helens are the market leader within a defined spread of what makes a resilient business and strong club since 1945 which is a more realistic measure than just super league which you would not be ranked in the top two by any sane individual in fact as a club since 1990 I would call Wigan morally inept.
    I always think of them as being morally bankrupt.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

The two biggest clubs should not have a "major say" at all. They should have the same say as every other club. If they are the biggest clubs they prove it on the field week after week, season after season, not by being given special treatment.

But let's be honest, they are the two biggest clubs. But it doesn't win you anything just saying it. I'll happily take the history of Saints and the culture of our club over Wigan's any day of the week but still admit Wigan are a bigger club. It makes no difference to me, but it's still true.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk