Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walsh:How will he go?

Got A Replica Shirt

For me walsh hasn't been the same player since that bad ankle injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    There was a lot of whistle last night and I think he got some of the calls wrong. However, we have all been calling for much of the messing around in the rusk to be dealt with. In my opinion the only way to deal with it is blow the whistle and penalise. The penny will drop with the coaches and players eventually but in the short term it would mean some penalty strewn games.
    I agree, he did clamp down on what we are moaning about. But he did seem to get carried away with his positivity. The big example was the no try, try. He should have gone to the Vid Ref as I can't see how he could have seen the ball from his position. He also (as did his assistants) missed a few shoulder charges off the ball by Hull. But I think both his sin-bins were 100% correct.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

Not quite sure what Walsh did to have people bigging him up. Looked another dropoffathon to me but I acknowledge the conditions weren't exactly top of the ground rugby territory.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Not quite sure what Walsh did to have people bigging him up. Looked another dropoffathon to me but I acknowledge the conditions weren't exactly top of the ground rugby territory.
    Put himself about tackling everything.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    I thought his kicking game was v good and his goal kicking was outstanding in those conditions. It's what we saw at Saints and what we might miss at Saints. It's very easy to take goal kicking for granted (irony of course being that Walsh missed his most important one in the semi against Leeds a couple of years ago). I remember when Long went and we really struggled with it. Lost count of the amount of games we blew on goal kicks.

Walsh has clear strengths and clear weaknesses, like every half back in SL. I guess it just depends which you can deal with and which you can't.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by A_walsh2k7 View Post
    For me walsh hasn't been the same player since that bad ankle injury.
    I don't recall him getting tackled once last night... his refusal to take on the line since that ankle injury has been quite clear. He'll never be the same player again IMO.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    I don't recall him getting tackled once last night... his refusal to take on the line since that ankle injury has been quite clear. He'll never be the same player again IMO.
    It's easy to give him that excuse, but when he signed all the posts on the Panthers board were saying he never took the line on. It's always been a weakness in his game. I thought the injury affected his defence more than anything else.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Both Hicks & Child should be nowhere near Super league level, but is it their fault or the fault of their employers? They are getting top games because there is no one else. We have the smallest pool of refs I can recall simply because of this ridiculous full time thing and until the league drop that as a requirement at Super league level we're stuck with them.
    Yeah probably a bit of both as you say. All the refs are inconsistent and collectively they need to improve a lot. With Hicks though it's his attitude and the respect he shows towards the players that I don't like. It works both ways but one of the great things about the sport is that you can belt each other for 80 mins but there is always the respect there. I don't think he shows that and nothing good will ever come of it.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by teddlyf View Post
    It's easy to give him that excuse, but when he signed all the posts on the Panthers board were saying he never took the line on. It's always been a weakness in his game. I thought the injury affected his defence more than anything else.
    Maybe so but he definitely took the line on more in his early days than he did after his injury. I remember his first few games for us when he would make breaks from half way with a show and go or a cheeky sidestep. Very rarely see him get close enough to the defensive line for them to even tackle him post injury.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I was dipping in and out of this game, but Walsh for me wasn't much different to when he was at Saints. Running horizontally infront of the defence, dropping a pass off to a forward, and repeat. I think Catalans have good runners in their team, and whilst I don't rate him that highly it looks like Myler is being given the job of being the creative half back whilst Walsh simply plays the steady eddie role.

It's a constant issue for me that half backs like Walsh are lauded for their organisational abilities, because to me it doesn't actually take that much organisational ability to simply take a ball, run across a line, hand it off to somebody else and then put in a decent kick on the last tackle. That is the bare minimum that I would expect from a good half back, and Walsh does nothing over and above that for me. I will give him credit defensively, he got himself about and put in a shift in that regard, but it seems like Catalans have worked him out and simply asked him to do what they think he can do at this stage in his career, and that is to be a risk free 7 who recycles the ball, kicks well and can stick the ball between the posts. With the other weapons Catalans have it may well be that that is enough.

BTW, good win for them. Hull might not have been great, but that is one of the toughest places in the league to get a win, especially for Catalans who are traditionally awful on the road. 4 points from 4 from Wire and Hull is a great return.