Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zeb Taia - Confirmed

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Different circumstances with each of the players you've named - Graham went to prove himself against the best collection of players in the world; Greenwood seems to have a long-held ambition to play there. Eastwood went chasing the £ and possible celebrity (I'd bet that his agent spun tales of being the next Jason Robinson). Jones? A squad player who we valued at that level, and who considered himself worth more - more our decision than a case of being completely outbid.

Other than that, I agree with your post. I think Saints have acted quickly & decisively to make the best of a not ideal situation. I wish Joe Greenwood the best of luck over there, and hope that he does return to Saints in a few years a more complete player that's close to fulfilling his undoubted potential.
    Every player's situation will be different every single time, in my opinion though the little done over the last 10 years with regards the salary cap and things like that to keep the best talent around in SL make it a no brainer for the likes of the names mentioned above to go to AUS or RU. It's always going to be enticing but I think my frustration lies with the fact it doesn't appear that we are doing the best we can to keep these players from going to the NRL or RU. How financially sustainable it would be to try I do not know the ins and outs of and most likely is what prevents SL and the RFL from sanctioning it.

Agree on hopefully he'll be back. There were rumours he and KC didn't get on but they have both spoken positively of each other in the interviews that have gone round and hopefully both he'll return a better player and we wont miss him to much in the mean time.

I think Saints have acted quickly & decisively to make the best of a not ideal situation. I wish Joe Greenwood the best of luck over there, and hope that he does return to Saints in a few years a more complete player that's close to fulfilling his undoubted potential.
    I agree and think Saints deserve credit sorting out a potential poor situation with possibly keeping Joe until the end of the season but really he wanted to leave early and all that involves. (Although I do think Joe would have not been an issue). They have managed to get a great replacement who as has been said has played in the SL so knows what it's like to get cold and muddy. I for one say, well done Saints for making the best out of a possibly poor situation and you can argue have in the short term improved our squad for the next couple of seasons.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Good business all round for me. Greenwood can go and live the dream and Saints get a proven replacement in Taia. I bet Gareth O'Brian thought he had seen the last of him!

Welcome Zeb Taia 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Good business all round for me. Greenwood can go and live the dream and Saints get a proven replacement in Taia. I bet Gareth O'Brian thought he had seen the last of him!

Welcome Zeb Taia 36.
    36? That his age?

Haha, hot off the press.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQt8UMmB0h-/

So when will be here?,in time for round 4 or 5?

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    So when will be here?,in time for round 4 or 5?

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk
    Says he hopes to be here for Wakefield in round 3

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    The club will be disappointed - you can tell from Cunningham's interview that he'll be sad to see him go. They've developed this lad since being a kid so to see him go having not achieved a thing in a Saints shirt is disappointing. We've all had our say on it now I guess but I don't think he'll be a success over there straight away. Whether he's got more patience than Tomkins, Joe Burgess and the other guys who have come back remain to be seen.

It's all about Zeb Taia now though. Good player, experienced, dynamic, aggressive, knows the competition. He's a good signing on paper, the rest is up to him I guess.

Welcome to St Helens.

I heard last year that Cunningham didn't like Joe and used to single him out and I bloody knew this would happen, so its a load of bull that he is sad to see him go. I bet any money that he hasn't got it written into his contract that he has got the option to come back

I would have preferred us to not make a bad situation worse. Releasing a good young kid for a 32 year old that looked pretty average at Cats.

Taia could end up a reasonable player for a couple of seasons but regardless of that he is a just blocking Ashworth out the team.

Wish Greenwood good luck, start Ashworth in the next game and leave it at that.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I would have preferred us to not make a bad situation worse. Releasing a good young kid for a 32 year old that looked pretty average at Cats.

Taia could end up a reasonable player for a couple of seasons but regardless of that he is a just blocking Ashworth out the team.

You sure about that? Taia was one of the stand-out players in 2015 and if I remember rightly was in the Dream Team at the end of the year. To suggest he was average is ridiculous.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Taia made the SL DreamTeam whilst at Cats

If Ashworth is good enough, and the coach is fair, he'll get gametime. But we're in the competition to win trophies and so, whilst it'd be fantastic to win the double with a squad comprised of players who've all come through the ranks, we are a long way from that and need to ensure we have the best team possible out there competing. If that means bringing in a player who may be post-peak but is still a better player than our alternatives on the books, then that must be the way.

Learning All The Songs

Your just Ageist, 2 yr ago at Catalans he made the dream team and played out of his skin hence NRL came knocking.

32 is coming to the end of your career but hopefully he stays injury free and plays as good as Gaz Ellis at Hull and he's in his 40's

Quote Originally Posted by saint-spoiler View Post
    Says he hopes to be here for Wakefield in round 3
    Need him to have a week or so training with the squad. Saints say LMS will be playing against Leigh replacing Joe.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Need him to have a week or so training with the squad. Saints say LMS will be playing against Leigh replacing Joe.
    A second row pairing of Peyroux & LMS.

Hmmmm....

Learning All The Songs

Hmmmm....
    Peyroux played ok v's Leeds leave him alone

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Peyroux played ok v's Leeds leave him alone
    They're not going to be the most dynamic & mobile pairing, are they?

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Hmmmm....
    Peyroux had a decent game against Leeds to be fair up against Ablett, Moon and Hall. It's only one game, don't get me wrong, but it will be interesting whether he backs that up. I still think we're a second rower short but it's up to the players we do have to step up and show they can add something to the team. Wilkin and Knowles are both 13's for me so by my reckoning that leaves LMS, Taia, Peyroux and Ashworth.

Ashworth is really similar to Greenwood a few years back IMO: tall, bit of speed, similar build and running style. Like Greenwood though he lacks ball skills and a bit of agression to his game. There's real similarities there IMO so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. Greenwood had a pre season where he put a huge marker down and went straight into the team, Saints will be hoping Ashworth does the same.

Thompson is another who I'd be looking at for one of those back row spots. He's big, athletic, aggressive but possibly a bit erratic to play through the middle consistantly. If he starts and then LMS comes on, LMS can play to his strengths a bit more and we start with a bit more agression. There's enough games to have a look at these options and then the rest is up to the players.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Hmmmm....
    That's only for defensive duties, going by the friendly and the Leeds game Makinson and Swift will be the second rows from the PTB.

Got A Replica Shirt

sevilio and now greenwood,does not seem like good business to me ,maybe they will both do a wigan,and both come back next year?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by kimmysaint View Post
    I heard last year that Cunningham didn't like Joe and used to single him out and I bloody knew this would happen, so its a load of bull that he is sad to see him go. I bet any money that he hasn't got it written into his contract that he has got the option to come back
    Now is this FAKE NEWS or is it fact! I never like news when they say 'I heard' or from a 'reliable source'.

Learning All The Songs

"ZEB TAIA IS ON FIRE"
    "YOUR DEFENCE IS TERRIFIED"

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

As mentioned earlier, happy the club brought this to a quick conclusion which is best for all parties with minimum disruption to the club. As good and young Greenwood was, sometimes it's about the here and now. Good luck Joe. Welcome Zeb

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

I think the club deserve a lot of praise for making the best out of a bad do here. Our hands are tied if someone wants to go to the NRL, there's not much we can to to stop it really. I like Greenwood a lot, and a lot more than a few people seem to. I think we will feel his loss but Taia is a very, very good second rower and we have done well out of this deal I think. Greenwood gets his move, we get in a quality and experienced replacement and our season isn't massively disrupted. When most teams lose a player to the NRL there's no deal done or exchange made so we've done very well here for my money.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    You sure about that? Taia was one of the stand-out players in 2015 and if I remember rightly was in the Dream Team at the end of the year. To suggest he was average is ridiculous.
    Yes calling him average was harsh given he had a good run in his Dream Team season.

He definitely did better than some of Cats bigger name signings. He is a significantly better signing than our other off season signings.

We just seem to have a lot of players blocking young kids at the moment and it is hard to believe that these players are any better than the kids they are blocking.

Our backrow is now, Payroll/Wilkin/Taia with LMS to come back. Pretty grim stuff IMHO.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkH5GNN_iZI
    might be a good deal this hey?