Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Even Saints want a Wigan win!

Learning All The Songs

I don't want Wigan to win anything, ever. If a bloke who supported Wigan was playing tiddlywinks I'd want him to lose.
    I've been brought up to despise Wigan rugby league club and everything they stand for. People saying it will be good for the game, no it will be good for Wigan so they can have yet another chip on their shoulder.
    Despite playing no pre season games, without 4 key players from last years premiership win (Barba Holmes Ennis & Feki), playing on the other side of the world and against a team with home advantage I hope the Skarks stick 50 on the pie eaters.
    Last edited by Drake920; 19th February 2017 at 09:58.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    I don't want Wigan to win anything, ever. If a bloke who supported Wigan was playing tiddlywinks I'd want him to lose.
    I've been brought up to despise Wigan rugby league club and everything they stand for. People saying it will be good for the game, no it will be good for Wigan so they can have yet another chip on their shoulder.
    Despite playing no pre season games, missing 3 key players from last years premiership win (Barba Holmes & Feki), playing on the other side of the world and against a team with home advantage I hope the Skarks stick 50 on the pie eaters.
    It bugs me when the BBC put Wigan on the weather map.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

I hope the pastry molesters get the rugby league equivalent of a dry b*mming!

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Spot on. I'm sick of hearing how a Wigan win will be "good for our game." How exactly? What will change?
    Really? How much criticism does super league get when they lose? Plenty, so it can only increase respect and exposure if we win. As I have said before, one win will not make it the best loved game in the UK but every small victory is a step forward

If you are only interested in your team at the expense of the wider game then this is an understandable view

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    I don't mind. It's usually raining there!

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdam dan View Post
    Hopefully both teams pick up a few injuries.
    So you want players to pick up injuries !!! Its their living and you want them to injure themselves !!

I'm astounded.......

I watched last nights game wanting Wire to fail for the reason I gave on my opening post to this thread. Today I still wished they had lost, however I am big enough to accept they they played well and totally dominated the game and deserved their win. I'm not getting carried away as Sky were about Brown being a world beater. Let's see how he goes. You could hear the relief from the Sky team, that this was not another Aussie drubbing.
    I just hope this is not repeated later today.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I want wigan to win ! It will be good for RL generally and good for the games profile in this country after we disgraced ourselves last year.......and I have a tenner on a wire/wigan double.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smart Alec View Post
    So you want players to pick up injuries !!! Its their living and you want them to injure themselves !!

I'm astounded.......
    Give over, were have I said anything about career ending injuries? Do you condone the numerous times Wigan have sent player out to deliberately injure their opposition? Stop being so precious.

Learning All The Songs

If Wigan win there's 20,000 people buying a season ticket for London broncos on the strength of it

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I was quite happy to see Wire win especially in the manner they did. Stops the Aussies gloating. However Warrington winning an exhibition game is totally different to having a year of Wigan crowing about being World Champions.

Got A Season Ticket

I'm sure this conundrum has been posted before. What if a Wigan win in Superleague led to Saints winning the Leader's Shield? Does that change the view of all those who say they do not want a Wigan win in any circumstances?

Got A Season Ticket

I'm trying to decouple the debate from what happens this afternoon to get at the principle behind the many avocations of 'Wigan over my dead body'. Hence the reference to Superleague in my post.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Really? How much criticism does super league get when they lose? Plenty, so it can only increase respect and exposure if we win. As I have said before, one win will not make it the best loved game in the UK but every small victory is a step forward

If you are only interested in your team at the expense of the wider game then this is an understandable view
    It's not that, I just don't think the "wider game" will change off the back of a Wigan win today. Is our rivals becoming World Champions worth perhaps a bit of respect for a week or two off the Aussies? Not a chance.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    I'm sure this conundrum has been posted before. What if a Wigan win in Superleague led to Saints winning the Leader's Shield? Does that change the view of all those who say they do not want a Wigan win in any circumstances?
    I'm not sure that many on here have indicated 'in any circumstances'. This thread is more about a trophy being awarded to our main rival. Most of us don't want that to happen.
    For what it's worth, I would want a Wigan win if it benefited us in a major way, such as in your conundrum above.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I don't think it's about respect or anything like that, I don't care if they respect us or not. You're asking for trouble if you're trying to prove yourself to other people and I don't think that principle changes just because it's professional sport.

What I will say is that last night set out an example on how to win big games, not only against Australia and their teams but also in our own comps as well. Kev and Kurt Gidley both spoke about the fact that they mentioned discipline before the game and they didn't give Brisbane easy access down the field. They did all the little things well. When they shifted the ball they did it in the right way, far too many English teams throw stupid and needless offloads because they feel the need to chance their arm and that's when mistakes come. Warrington won the play-the-ball all night and that allowed them to play on the front foot. I said before the game that it's all mental against teams Australian teams and Warrington dealt with the pressure and were disciplined.

I don't think Wigan will be able to replicate that because I don't think they've got the same cutting edge to their attack that Warrington have. If Cronulla lift the tempo, I don't think Wigan will be able to stay with them but future England teams can learn a lot from how Warrington went about their business last night.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

If might not change the face of superleague but I'd much rather see positive news of an English team beating an Australian team rather than the other way round.

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    I dont Wigan to win ANY game in ANY situation what so ever.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I was quite happy to see Wire win especially in the manner they did. Stops the Aussies gloating. However Warrington winning an exhibition game is totally different to having a year of Wigan crowing about being World Champions.
    If Wigan win the game later on today, then they have every right to be 'crowing' over a victory. They won the grand final over here last year and so have earned the right to compete for this title. For St Helens, then there's your motivation for getting your own opportunity to compete for the crown next year.

I have already said that I want Wigan to get the victory for SL and British RL. Because if we continue with the negative messages about our competition- that the players are sub-standard, the quality is poor and the NRL is the place to be, then it should come as no surprise that our players will want to go over there. Whereas if we can celebrate our sides winning these games, especially in the manner Warrington did as you say, hopefully this can help retain talent, but also attract talent from the NRL. Matt Parcell said one of the reasons he has come over here is because he feels it will suit his game. And you could see that against Leigh on Friday night. And I've made the point already about Tony Smith's post match comments; they knew what to expect from Brisbane and instead of trying to beat them at their own game- 'five drives and a kick', they was not afraid to spread the ball wide, get to the edges, and attack from their own half. He picked two genuine halves, one of which being 21, had an interchange hooker on the bench as well as a 19 year old. So hopefully this positive approach can be adopted as a successful model by some of the other sides in SL (Saints included) and we can promote SL as a more expansive game to that of what we see in the NRL. I can appreciate a battle of attrition, but more often than not I want to see the ball given some air and exciting rugby league.

Regards,

STEVO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    Ha! Ha! You as well? I reckon someone at the Met Office who does the maps comes from that poohole.

Personally, I hate Wycombe, cos it sounds like wi*an

Got A Season Ticket

OK, to put my cards on the table, I'm most interested in the health of RL. The long-running dominance of Australia for me parallels the position of Wigan in the 80s. It's not good for the health of the sport. We need a win by the European Superleague in order to nudge Australia towards recognising that they need to take a global view in order to have a sport that is healthy. I agree that a Wigan win this afternoon might not be sufficient to do this, but it's more likely to nudge in the direction I think is the right one than is a Wigan loss.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    If Wigan win the game later on today, then they have every right to be 'crowing' over a victory. They won the grand final over here last year and so have earned the right to compete for this title. For St Helens, then there's your motivation for getting your own opportunity to compete for the crown next year.

I have already said that I want Wigan to get the victory for SL and British RL. Because if we continue with the negative messages about our competition- that the players are sub-standard, the quality is poor and the NRL is the place to be, then it should come as no surprise that our players will want to go over there. Whereas if we can celebrate our sides winning these games, especially in the manner Warrington did as you say, hopefully this can help retain talent, but also attract talent from the NRL. Matt Parcell said one of the reasons he has come over here is because he feels it will suit his game. And you could see that against Leigh on Friday night. And I've made the point already about Tony Smith's post match comments; they knew what to expect from Brisbane and instead of trying to beat them at their own game- 'five drives and a kick', they was not afraid to spread the ball wide, get to the edges, and attack from their own half. He picked two genuine halves, one of which being 21, had an interchange hooker on the bench as well as a 19 year old. So hopefully this positive approach can be adopted as a successful model by some of the other sides in SL (Saints included) and we can promote SL as a more expansive game to that of what we see in the NRL. I can appreciate a battle of attrition, but more often than not I want to see the ball given some air and exciting rugby league.

Regards,

STEVO
    Yes. It also showed that mistake-free rugby and entertaining rugby are not incompatible.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    And I've made the point already about Tony Smith's post match comments; they knew what to expect from Brisbane and instead of trying to beat them at their own game- 'five drives and a kick', they was not afraid to spread the ball wide, get to the edges, and attack from their own half. He picked two genuine halves, one of which being 21, had an interchange hooker on the bench as well as a 19 year old. So hopefully this positive approach can be adopted as a successful model by some of the other sides in SL (Saints included) and we can promote SL as a more expansive game to that of what we see in the NRL. I can appreciate a battle of attrition, but more often than not I want to see the ball given some air and exciting rugby league.

Regards,

STEVO
    That's not exactly true though and is partly the reason why we get butchered by them 9 times out of 10. Warrington won the game because their forwards were dominant. They were playing the ball so quickly that Brisbane couldn't keep up with them and were they were goosed after 20 minutes. They didn't just throw the ball everywhere, their forwards gave them the right to play. That meant that when they did throw the ball out wide, they were doing so on the front foot and there was loads of space because all of the Brisbane forwards were tied into the middle of the field in an attempt to slow Warrington down.

All this talk about Pettan as well and how other clubs should learn. Warrington had Brown (who was exceptional), Gidley and Westerman (best 13 in the league for me right now) who did more or less all the ball playing. Patten played on the back of those guys - don't get me wrong he had a decent game, but it's a lot easier when you're surrounded by players like that.

It's important that we started getting these messages and analysis right. I'm sick of watching Saints lose big games for the same bloody reason each time - England have been losing for the same reasons since I stayed watching the sport and I've slowly started caring less and less for that reason.. As a club and as a country, we have to start learning these lessons.

It also highlighted the difference of having a ball playing loose forward. You can attack so much wider and with so much more space. Tired of seeing clubs pick workhorse second rowers or an extra prop there.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    That's not exactly true though and is partly the reason why we get butchered by them 9 times out of 10. Warrington won the game because their forwards were dominant. They were playing the ball so quickly that Brisbane couldn't keep up with them and were they were goosed after 20 minutes. They didn't just throw the ball everywhere, their forwards gave them the right to play. That meant that when they did throw the ball out wide, they were doing so on the front foot and there was loads of space because all of the Brisbane forwards were tied into the middle of the field in an attempt to slow Warrington down.

All this talk about Pettan as well and how other clubs should learn. Warrington had Brown (who was exceptional), Gidley and Westerman (best 13 in the league for me right now) who did more or less all the ball playing. Patten played on the back of those guys - don't get me wrong he had a decent game, but it's a lot easier when you're surrounded by players like that.

It's important that we started getting these messages and analysis right. I'm sick of watching Saints lose big games for the same bloody reason each time - England have been losing for the same reasons since I stayed watching the sport and I've slowly started caring less and less for that reason.. As a club and as a country, we have to start learning these lessons.

It also highlighted the difference of having a ball playing loose forward. You can attack so much wider and with so much more space. Tired of seeing clubs pick workhorse second rowers or an extra prop there.
    I agree with what you say Tez, your analysis is spot on. My point was that it's great to see a coach have a positive approach to the game. It's a balancing act- laying the platform as you say, and then having the ability to know when to get the ball out wide. Simeon makes a good point too, that 'mistake-free rugby and entertaining rugby are not incompatible'.

With regards to Declan Patton, I commented on him to highlight that he's a young half being given the chance to play in a big game without hesitation from the coach. And he did not look out of place.

Regards,

STEVO

Starting A Programme Collection

Just caught up on last night's game. I thought Warrington were very good and Brisbane were strangely off for an Australian team. Just a few of my thoughts,

I thought Warrington played the perfect game and probably won't play any where near as good as they did last night. The first 40 mins Wire had a 100% completion rate. I don't think I've ever seen that before in all my time of watching rugby league. A staggering statistic when you think of the way Wire play with all the off loads. Also every bounce of the ball seem to go the way of Warrington from charge downs to dropped bombs to general ref decisions.

I don't want to play down Wires win last night because it was a great performance but for Super league team's to compete with the Oz's we need a near perfect performance from our boys and hope that the Australian teams have an off night like Brisbane did last night.

I think Brisbane took Warrington too lightly and didn't give them enough respect which is why they looked shell shocked early on with how well Wire were playing. After the last few years of this club series you can sort of understand the Australian teams coming over expecting to just turn up and post 40 odd points and go home happy. It probably makes Wigan's task a little harder today as any complacency that Cronulla may have had going into the game was more than likely put to bed after watching that game last night.