Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Even Saints want a Wigan win!

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I think a Wigan or Wire win would be good for the game over here. There's been far too much negativity. However I fully understand the majority of Saints supporters not wanting their main rivals to win, that's the nature of sporting rivalry.
    One thing the game doesn't need is an embarrassing 30 or 40 point defeat of the English teams.

I was at the WCC dinner at Wigan last night, around 450 people there including the Cronulla chief exec and coach. One interesting point of note from Ian Lenagan is that discussions are quite a way down the line for next years games to be played in Aus with a good chance that there will also be Superleague game(s) over there and that Wigan would hope to be involved at some stage.
    I'm a rugby league supporter, I want to get coverage all over UK, so I'm happy for English club to win, difficult with it being Wigan but still want us to flourish

That's why I also want us to play in aus, anything to promote the game or add interest
    When we got stuffed in 97 it was brilliant for our game, showed us were we were really at in terms of ability sometime losing is good for you

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I'm a rugby league supporter, I want to get coverage all over UK, so I'm happy for English club to win, difficult with it being Wigan but still want us to flourish

That's why I also want us to play in aus, anything to promote the game or add interest
    When we got stuffed in 97 it was brilliant for our game, showed us were we were really at in terms of ability sometime losing is good for you
    I think the sport here is at a critically low ebb and that a Wigan win would help alleviate some of the wider discontent and turbulence that the sport is suffering from. The game is in slack alley at the moment. Its followers are becoming more agnostic to the game; the skills are down on what they once where, even the coaches are begining to realise how sterile the product has become judging by recent interviews and the commercial challenges and struggles to attract the right partnerships are well documented.

I must admit I am disappointed with some of the puerile responses to the OP, some of which are just the type of response that youd expect from a guttersnipe.

Whilst I acknowledge bragging rights constitute a lot to some people, the sport is marginalised in the media mainly due to its incompetence and the decline in standards. For the longer term prosperity of the game a British success is needed. Its a long way away from being a panacea to all our ills but it at least would be a fly in the eye of the Australians and more importantly indicate a smaller gap than we imagine exists between the 2 leagues.

I envisage Cronulla will win by 12 points FWIW.

If Wigan wn it won't make a bit of difference to the game over here. We will still have the three leagues thats watched by an hardcore of around 80,000 spectators every weekend, we will still have no class at half back, we will still lose our better players to RU or the ARL, we will still be watching the rubbish we witnessed last night and tonight. We are stuck with what we've got sorry to say.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I think the sport here is at a critically low ebb and that a Wigan win would help alleviate some of the wider discontent and turbulence that the sport is suffering from. The game is in slack alley at the moment. Its followers are becoming more agnostic to the game; the skills are down on what they once where, even the coaches are begining to realise how sterile the product has become judging by recent interviews and the commercial challenges and struggles to attract the right partnerships are well documented.

I must admit I am disappointed with some of the puerile responses to the OP, some of which are just the type of response that youd expect from a guttersnipe.

Whilst I acknowledge bragging rights constitute a lot to some people, the sport is marginalised in the media mainly due to its incompetence and the decline in standards. For the longer term prosperity of the game a British success is needed. Its a long way away from being a panacea to all our ills but it at least would be a fly in the eye of the Australians and more importantly indicate a smaller gap than we imagine exists between the 2 leagues.

I envisage Cronulla will win by 12 points FWIW.
    Mate you could argue Wigan under Michael Maguire were right at the heart of developing a style of play that has seen the standard of the league decline. The Anti rugby tactics now adopted by many others (including Cunningham) slowed the game to such an extent we are now as far away from the NRL as we've ever been. The number of points they scored for a team winning the championship in 2016 was lower than any point in super league.

I will not be supporting them

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Hell would freeze over before I would want anything but a good thrashing for Wigoon

Got A Season Ticket

I used to hate Wigan when I was a daft young lad but not anymore. Don't get me wrong, I chuckle when they lose and I delight in us beating them, but hating them...I just can't muster that emotion for them. I like the town and the people and I hope they (and Wire) bring some pride back to Super League.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I can't get my head around any true Saints fan wanting Wigan to be World Champions. It makes no sense whatsoever.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Reading this thread has restored my trust in the folk of my long departed home town of St Helens. Wigan win - no way.

P.S. Love the Taliban post.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post
    I used to hate Wigan when I was a daft young lad but not anymore. Don't get me wrong, I chuckle when they lose and I delight in us beating them, but hating them...I just can't muster that emotion for them. I like the town and the people and I hope they (and Wire) bring some pride back to Super League.
    My feelings entirely. I will support a Superleague club every time. I just don't like being sneered at by the Aussies. Been to many W.C. games even though Saint's wasn't playing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post

My thoughts exactly exactly, the majority of Wigan people are great fans for their club and Saints likewise. Just can't understand the vitrolic hate coming from supposingly grown up people with a juvenile mentality on this forum, maybe hiding behind a keyboard gives them that opportunity.

Got A Replica Shirt

I remember going to Orrell to watch a training session with Wigan and Sydney two years ago, Shaun Wane was asked if he would be supporting St Helens, his reply "i never want them to win"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    My thoughts exactly exactly, the majority of Wigan people are great fans for their club and Saints likewise. Just can't understand the vitrolic hate coming from supposingly grown up people with a juvenile mentality on this forum, maybe hiding behind a keyboard gives them that opportunity.
    So you think it makes someone juvenile and immature to hate your rivals?

As for the keyboard comment, that's a load of rubbish. I hate Wigan in a sporting sense, I have been brought up that way, can't stand the club. I'd happily say that to any Wigan fan and I'd expect that in return. I'm married to a Wigan season ticket holder and she knows and understands my hate for Wigan rugby. She gets it. For me, hating Wigan comes hand in hand with loving Saints. That doesn't make me juvenile or a keyboard warrior.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

This was all started by Burgess another wigunner that can't stand the pressure in Aus or is it the Price of PIES. How many wigun players have gone to Aus could not stand the pressure & have come back to play at wigun in the last say 8 years(come on rogues) let us know?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    So you think it makes someone juvenile and immature to hate your rivals?

As for the keyboard comment, that's a load of rubbish. I hate Wigan in a sporting sense, I have been brought up that way, can't stand the club. I'd happily say that to any Wigan fan and I'd expect that in return. I'm married to a Wigan season ticket holder and she knows and understands my hate for Wigan rugby. She gets it. For me, hating Wigan comes hand in hand with loving Saints. That doesn't make me juvenile or a keyboard warrior.
    No it makes you a normal sports fan. Its ridiculous to suggest it's juvenile when the same thing happens all over the world in more or less every sport

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Our rivalry with Wigan is a weird one, because it's both a proper historic rivalry but it also has a bit of mutual respect. Unlike our rivalry with Wire which has more of an edge to it and lacks respect, the Saints-Wigan rivalry has a bit of class about it. They hate us doing well, we hate them doing well, and when we play each other we want utter determination from our teams to destroy the other lot. In the 80s it was a bit different, with them being professional, nabbing our players and generally being on a different level due to money. I hated them back then, but in the modern era of salary caps and all that I always think that we can be better than them, and if they win things it's because they are better than us which leaves me more annoyed at our lack of ambition more than me being bitter about their success.

As far as me wanting them to win tomorrow, well no, I don't really. But I don't think it really matters either way. When Saints have been in these games it's meant lots to me, but when other teams have been in it it's meant not much at all. I suspect for most RL fans it's the same. And the concept is so flawed that any time our teams beat the NRL champions you're left wondering what it all proved anyway, given their lack of interest in it. And, with RL as it is right now I don't see how our game gets bigger through anything other than a World Cup win.

If Wigan beat Cronulla tomorrow it won't make a single person in Australia rate us more highly, and I doubt it will make a single non-RL fan in England care about our sport. So, I don't buy any arguments that a SL team winning will be a shot in the arm, because it wont change anything, and there's the risk that a win papers over cracks and makes the men in charge think that life is rosy for English RL.

So, I look at it as a decent game to watch with nothing really at stake, except one thing...bragging rights for Wigan if they win. So ideally we get a great game, with Cronulla winning with a try from a forward pass in the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I said as much on Twitter. I hope both Wigan and Wire lose but narrowly and in heartbreaking and unfair circumstances. While I agree there's nothing to be gained from a Wigan or Wire win, I do think that another couple of thrashings could be damaging.

On another note I'd consider giving up my season ticket if Saints took a home game to Australia. It would be a pointless exercise the effect of which would only be to screw loyal fans. Drastic action would be required to send a message to the club on that one.
    I would love to hear the RFL and the clubs tell us the positives of playing a home game in Australia. Surely it could cost us players as it puts them directly in the shop window to the NRL clubs.

An earlier post stated that it was Mo who suggested fans of other teams turn up for the 2001 WCC and back Brisbane. I thought it was the RFL who did that? I thought Maurice was back at Wigan by then? I definitely remember him saying it was 'fantastic' what Saints had done day after we won. I remember reading it on teletext at the time. Gets a lot of stick Maurice but I think he was very complimentary towards Saints on that occasion.

Then we beat them 22-8 in the CC a few week later and he had a right cob on when he was shown on the big screen during the latter stages of the game at KR. I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Correct. And as someone has already said it's completely ridiculous to try and 'spread' the game where it is already at its strongest. Especially by offering them a product that is inferior to what they already have. If this happens look out for LA Galaxy v New York City at Old Trafford......

Absolutely correct. But the Goons over the hill think they're the biggest club in the world. Not even the biggest club in Wigan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Our rivalry with Wigan is a weird one, because it's both a proper historic rivalry but it also has a bit of mutual respect. Unlike our rivalry with Wire which has more of an edge to it and lacks respect, the Saints-Wigan rivalry has a bit of class about it. They hate us doing well, we hate them doing well, and when we play each other we want utter determination from our teams to destroy the other lot. In the 80s it was a bit different, with them being professional, nabbing our players and generally being on a different level due to money. I hated them back then, but in the modern era of salary caps and all that I always think that we can be better than them, and if they win things it's because they are better than us which leaves me more annoyed at our lack of ambition more than me being bitter about their success.
    The 80's dominance of wi*an wasn't just annoying because it was our biggest rivals being successful, nor because the domination nearly destroyed the game, but because it gave their fans such an overblown sense of entitlement that it made them incredibly bitter. Even when they were winning most trophies, a loss to us had them rabid with hatred; no sense of 'well we won't begrudge them that win, cos we'll still win the league'. Learning more about the histories of the towns & the rivalry, there really has been an undercurrent of hatred that goes back a long way - not least the fallout from the wi*an miners' cowardly capitulation during the General Strike.

Personally, and having known many wi*anners over the years, I'd say that they still begrudge any other club anything, and still have that overblown sense of entitlement.

And, worst of all, they talk like they have learning difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The 80's dominance of wi*an wasn't just annoying because it was our biggest rivals being successful, nor because the domination nearly destroyed the game, but because it gave their fans such an overblown sense of entitlement that it made them incredibly bitter. Even when they were winning most trophies, a loss to us had them rabid with hatred; no sense of 'well we won't begrudge them that win, cos we'll still win the league'. Learning more about the histories of the towns & the rivalry, there really has been an undercurrent of hatred that goes back a long way - not least the fallout from the wi*an miners' cowardly capitulation during the General Strike.

Personally, and having known many wi*anners over the years, I'd say that they still begrudge any other club anything, and still have that overblown sense of entitlement.

And, worst of all, they talk like they have learning difficulties.
    I think any team in any sport, if they have had a decent amount of time of dominance are the same, and that includes us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    I think any team in any sport, if they have had a decent amount of time of dominance are the same, and that includes us.
    We certainly don't talk like we have learning difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    We certainly don't talk like we have learning difficulties.
    well more or less the same

I will be cheering on The Sharks come Sunday. Show my support for Wigan - NEVER.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I'm not going to automatically be against playing a SL game in Australia before finding out the details. We are crying out for corporate money and interest, and nowhere in the World is corporate money and interest in RL greater than it is in Australia. If the attempt is to garner some of that interest by playing games down there then it might not be a disaster. If, for example it was an extra round of games instead of MW then it doesn't hurt anyone's season ticket either. If a deal was struck to play a round of games in Sydney or Suncorp with the NRL doing a round of games at OT (for example) then I'd support that.

NRL clubs already do this anyway. Souths play a home game in Cairns this season, Manly play one in NZ, etc. Clubs sell memberships based on the amount of home games they have allocated to their actual home grounds, so nobody pays for games they can't get to. Ideally we wouldn't need to do such things, but the game needs to take a few chances and see what happens. The fear of NRL clubs poaching our players if they're playing a club game in Australia is slightly missing the point that they are doing that already!

I also think that once Sky become aware of this idea they'll be right behind it as well. A chance for them all to have a beano to Australia will be too hard to turn down!

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    If Wigan wn it won't make a bit of difference to the game over here. We will still have the three leagues thats watched by an hardcore of around 80,000 spectators every weekend, we will still have no class at half back, we will still lose our better players to RU or the ARL, we will still be watching the rubbish we witnessed last night and tonight. We are stuck with what we've got sorry to say.
    Obviously one win will not see an instant massive change

It's consistent small gains and exposure from all angle which will help, this is just one small contribution, one that gets my support