Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Weekend Attendances

Got A Season Ticket

Default Opening Weekend Attendances

Found the below on Facebook, what does everyone think?

Salford looks good at 6K but apparently there were around 2500 Wigan fans there which suggests Salford haven't really made any improvements to their home support.

Catalan is a bit low especially since they're playing Wire. What happened to the likes of Wigan/Wire/Saints/Leeds playing Catalan in summer since they brought the most away fans over? Ourselves and Wire will have played them away by the end of March and even the Leeds game is the first weekend in May leaving only Wigan in peak summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Ours is a good crowd for a Thursday even with it being Leeds and a season opener. Cas getting 8,500 is good for them against a non-big team, despite the decent away following. Wakefield is about right. The other three are worrying IMO. Catalans have had a rough off season and that crowd could indicate a lack of positivity down there which will hopefully change after that win. Salford played on a Saturday afternoon in probably their biggest home game of the year combined with their home opener, so that isn't great, and Widnes just topping 5k isn't that good.

So, I'd say three good crowds, three poor ones.

Banned

I think Widnes is more worrying than Salford. Yes Hudds bring a coach full but first game out and with no camera presence that is poor.

Good point about Catalans because according to our sources when we are over there Wires take the most fans and February\March will see numbers reduced dramatically. Wakey and Cas well they don't worry about repayment for stadium framing like Salford do.

Learning All The Songs

Time on my hands so checked against equivalent regular season games in 2016 - 2016 games in brackets. Obviously had to exclude Cas v Leigh game

Sts v Leeds 12208 (11271) +937
    Wakefield v Hull 7027 (6701) +326
    Cat v Wire 6547 (8859) - 2312
    Salford v Wigan 6253 (4096) +2157
    Widnes v Hudd 5031 (4683) +348

Total 37066 (35610) +1456 up 4%

Only one game in and difficult to say how league position and timing of games last year influenced things.

After one week the increase might just be because we have been starved of sport for 3 months.

My Johnny Vegas' ad did its stuff

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

The disappointing attendance there is Catalan v Wire. The others are there or thereabouts with our game against Leeds probably a slight surprise given the Thursday night curse.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Interesting to get a view of what happened in 2015 opening round... http://www.rugby-league.com/article/31602/england

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Time on my hands so checked against equivalent regular season games in 2016 - 2016 games in brackets. Obviously had to exclude Cas v Leigh game

Sts v Leeds 12208 (11271) +937
    Wakefield v Hull 7027 (6701) +326
    Cat v Wire 6547 (8859) - 2312
    Salford v Wigan 6253 (4096) +2157
    Widnes v Hudd 5031 (4683) +348

Total 37066 (35610) +1456 up 4%

Only one game in and difficult to say how league position and timing of games last year influenced things.

After one week the increase might just be because we have been starved of sport for 3 months.

My Johnny Vegas' ad did its stuff
    It depends how you look at the stats though. You are not comparing like for like here. Should you not compare the attendences for last seasons opening week. To many factors, such as when we're the corresponding fixtures played etc.
    In truth the real test will be to compare attendences at the end of the regular season.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by macca24 View Post
    Found the below on Facebook, what does everyone think?

Salford looks good at 6K but apparently there were around 2500 Wigan fans there which suggests Salford haven't really made any improvements to their home support.

Catalan is a bit low especially since they're playing Wire. What happened to the likes of Wigan/Wire/Saints/Leeds playing Catalan in summer since they brought the most away fans over? Ourselves and Wire will have played them away by the end of March and even the Leeds game is the first weekend in May leaving only Wigan in peak summer.

Catalan crowd is wrong, it was announced as 8,800ish on their website

Banned

Can't believe anyone is bothered if I'm honest.

Starting A Programme Collection SodIt the Hedgehog's Avatar

Considering the off-season has been full of people threatening not to go to Saints any more because of the grind, the name of the stadium, the sponsors, Jon Wilkin, Matty Smith, the manufacturers of the sugar sachets for coffees and God knows what else, I can see why people might be interested to know what the attendance figures were even at this early stage, especially when compared to other clubs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I think 12200 was a good attendance, probably only about 700-1000 Leeds, so above 10000 saints fans is excellent

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdam dan View Post
    No, you're right. Why would anyone care about the amount of people watching our sport?

Learning All The Songs

One of the bars in the totally wicked north stand ran out of water on Thursday, that is very poor.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I think 12200 was a good attendance, probably only about 700-1000 Leeds, so above 10000 saints fans is excellent
    It is especially for a Thursday night

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    It is especially for a Thursday night
    Agreed - excellent attendance - it certainly isn't Summer rugby yet either

Got A Season Ticket

Round 1 2016
    Leeds v Warrington - Thursday - 16,168
    Hull v Salford - Friday - 12,265
    Saints v Huddersfield - 10,408
    Wigan v Catalan - 13,436
    Hull kr v cas - Sunday - 11,011 - (kr not in league so leave if need)
    Wakefield v Widnes - 5,240

Thought i'd put these up as suggested before it's better to compare opening day fixtures from last season not equivalent but still difficult to compare. Especially if teams play away instead of home or vice versa.
    Also would note for the post above that super league site has stated that Catalans attendance on Saturday was 8,842. As for saints that attendance is very promising especially like stated even tho it was opener and Leeds very good attendance, another note for poster that Leeds stated that had sold just over 1,000 tickets before the game on Thursday so at most 1,500 Leeds fans so great to have 10k saints fans at a game on a Thursday night. Next one will be interesting as we don't play this week and have Leigh away, next game is Wakefield at home and that attendance will be interesting. Few homes where there's been away games this season so be interesting if that helps attendances?

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Interesting to get a view of what happened in 2015 opening round... http://www.rugby-league.com/article/31602/england
    Yep, definitely interesting and probably doesn't make good reading. I think it's more relevant to compare the attendances of opening weeks each year, especially as some of the big teams were away from home on the opening week in 2015. Little bit of a concern but great attendance for us on Thursday.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdam dan View Post
    I was bothered enough to pose the question re attendence on a different thread day after the game. Would not want to see us playing in front of 3 men and a dog.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by sthelensawaydays8 View Post
    Round 1 2016
    Leeds v Warrington - Thursday - 16,168
    Hull v Salford - Friday - 12,265
    Saints v Huddersfield - 10,408
    Wigan v Catalan - 13,436
    Hull kr v cas - Sunday - 11,011 - (kr not in league so leave if need)
    Wakefield v Widnes - 5,240

Thought i'd put these up as suggested before it's better to compare opening day fixtures from last season not equivalent but still difficult to compare. Especially if teams play away instead of home or vice versa.
    Also would note for the post above that super league site has stated that Catalans attendance on Saturday was 8,842. As for saints that attendance is very promising especially like stated even tho it was opener and Leeds very good attendance, another note for poster that Leeds stated that had sold just over 1,000 tickets before the game on Thursday so at most 1,500 Leeds fans so great to have 10k saints fans at a game on a Thursday night. Next one will be interesting as we don't play this week and have Leigh away, next game is Wakefield at home and that attendance will be interesting. Few homes where there's been away games this season so be interesting if that helps attendances?
    Probably not a fair comparison when Leeds, Wigan, hull and KR were all playing at home last season but away this. Apart from Saints, all the other home teams were never going to get big attendances last week, still good to see a big crowd at Saints.

It's very hard to do a like for like comparison with anything really. Unless we had the exact same fixtures on R1 last season, with the exact same kick off times, the exact same weather etc, then we can't compare that accurately. We just have to use our experience and judge whether these crowds look okay or not.

One thing that I've noticed is that the RFL don't go for the big headlines by sticking loads of marquee games in R1 to get big crowds. They usually have one big game to kick it all off and then the rest of the round is very standard. Maybe clubs don't want to lose a big crowd during the season when they are guaranteed a decent crowd for their home opener no matter who they play, and maybe that's why the fixture list on R1 doesn't exactly whet the appetite.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Just to add to what Gray77 is saying above, we should also remember that Leeds, Wigan, Hull and Warrington will probably generate decent crowds for their first home games next round. I would also expect to see a fair number at Leigh.
    I expect (hope!!) that the RFL keep a watchful eye on attendances throughout the year, and they should know that it's far too early to draw any meaningful conclusions just yet.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Just to add to what Gray77 is saying above, we should also remember that Leeds, Wigan, Hull and Warrington will probably generate decent crowds for their first home games next round. I would also expect to see a fair number at Leigh.
    I expect (hope!!) that the RFL keep a watchful eye on attendances throughout the year, and they should know that it's far too early to draw any meaningful conclusions just yet.
    i dont know if other clubs do same as leigh but there charging saints £25 yet Huddersfield is only £23 i was told they increasing prices for saints leeds wigan and warrington so it is a game i wont be going for that reason alone i dont mind paying 25 but not when the next team there are paying less

Banned

I am not excusing it but it's a football idea having grading for opposition. Leigh will make hay with it this season but if they survive then the novelty wears off and away fans swerve going. I think for RL 22.00 pounds is the ceiling you should be charging in a decent stadia with Wakey/Cas/Leeds charging away fans no more than 16.00 pounds.

I thought£25 was steep for Leigh. Most of our local rivals pinned it at £20 last season in advance.

Got A Season Ticket

Salford last year was £25 if paying on the night, at least that is a new stadium with a roof.