Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nearly Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Voll au Vent View Post
    Leeds must have one of the worst away followings in SL. Always blaming the M62 for their poor Friday night showings. With it being a Thursday expect no more than a minibus full. There'll be more on the pitch than in the East stand.
    Even without Smith we should have enough to win this opener, although it's not the end of the world if we come up short.
    Come on here about 10.15pm on Thursday night if we do come up short and people will be saying it is the end of the world
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    How puerile.

Anyway, bring on Thursday night and the return of SL. No doubt those who profess to having no interest in such a mind numbingly boring sport will be on here posting about it afterwards
    It would be nice to be in a position where I have all the free time and spare money in the world to continue following Saints as they play their usual exciting free-flowing brand of entertaining rugby, but sadly reality isn't like that.

My job and family won't allow me time and money to travel from Manchester to St Helens every two weeks, and, let's face it, no matter how much you want to shout otherwise, the brand of RL in the UK at present is poor when compared to the entertaining rugby we have had in the past.

If you have the time and the money and the inclination to continue following them week in, week out, fair enough. All props to you. Some of us don't though. Having a 16 month old baby and a full time job means that I don't pay as much attention to TV and the internet anymore, and I literally forgot we were on. If that makes me a bad fan, so be it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Only 35 hours until the 2017 season begins.
    Let the anxiety, worry, panic and inevitable disappointment commence
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    It would be nice to be in a position where I have all the free time and spare money in the world to continue following Saints as they play their usual exciting free-flowing brand of entertaining rugby, but sadly reality isn't like that.

My job and family won't allow me time and money to travel from Manchester to St Helens every two weeks, and, let's face it, no matter how much you want to shout otherwise, the brand of RL in the UK at present is poor when compared to the entertaining rugby we have had in the past.

If you have the time and the money and the inclination to continue following them week in, week out, fair enough. All props to you. Some of us don't though. Having a 16 month old baby and a full time job means that I don't pay as much attention to TV and the internet anymore, and I literally forgot we were on. If that makes me a bad fan, so be it.
    All of that is perfectly valid and applies to me (live 200 miles away, two kids under 2, rarely get to games). It's only rugby - it's meant to be fun.

My comments are more aimed at the people who claim to have no interest, yet continually post on here. It's something I find difficult to understand - if you have no interest and only want to point out all the reasons why you have no interest, maybe just spend your time doing something else you enjoy more and leave those who want to get enjoyment from rugby (without the endless stream of negativity) alone

Before anyone says it - I am well aware of the difference between those who have a keen interest but are disenchanted for various reasons and those who claim to have lost interest entirely yet spend lots of time pointing out how disinterested they are.

Learning All The Songs

All of that is perfectly valid and applies to me (live 200 miles away, two kids under 2, rarely get to games). It's only rugby - it's meant to be fun.

My comments are more aimed at the people who claim to have no interest, yet continually post on here. It's something I find difficult to understand - if you have no interest and only want to point out all the reasons why you have no interest, maybe just spend your time doing something else you enjoy more and leave those who want to get enjoyment from rugby (without the endless stream of negativity) alone

Before anyone says it - I am well aware of the difference between those who have a keen interest but are disenchanted for various reasons and those who claim to have lost interest entirely yet spend lots of time pointing out how disinterested they are.
    No worries. Thanks for clearing it up.

Banned

Talking of anyway followings I remember when Saints used to take one coachload to away games two if we where lucky

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Banned

Very different times though. Travel outside of Lancashire was a big deal and money was only what people had on a Thursday when your Dad came home from work. Ellisons and Gavin Murray always took a coach and Helena Travel normally did. I started in 1970 with my mate Smithy 8 and 9 year olds who went everywhere with Ellisons and I mean on our own, parents are jailed for less now. Happy days though.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Very different times though. Travel outside of Lancashire was a big deal and money was only what people had on a Thursday when your Dad came home from work. Ellisons and Gavin Murray always took a coach and Helena Travel normally did. I started in 1970 with my mate Smithy 8 and 9 year olds who went everywhere with Ellisons and I mean on our own, parents are jailed for less now. Happy days though.
    Thursday payday brings back memories. My first wage back in 1964 was £3-13 shillings and I was told by my mam to give it to my godmother. It must have been tradition then as it's never happened to us.

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    Come on here about 10.15pm on Thursday night if we do come up short and people will be saying it is the end of the world
    Win and some on here will be saying we will win everything from Superleague to the Grand National.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I used to follow football. Don't now as I think is boring, so guess what I don't comment on the footy thread or any other footy forum. So if you or others were fans, great. If you now are not fans now for whatever valid reason that's fine as well. But if you can't stand watching Saints anymore then why comment about something you don't have any interest in.
    Thought a fans forum was for 'fans' maybe there should be a 'not a fans forum' for those that don't follow Saints anymore.
    Thank you for your input what I do is my business not yours if I want to go on any site that isn't at odds with human decency or backing a terrorist group or some other illegal organisation I will thanks. If you want to start up a Forum for non fans fine I don't think many will want to sign up but at least you can force your views on them with impunity.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

How puerile.

Anyway, bring on Thursday night and the return of SL. No doubt those who profess to having no interest in such a mind numbingly boring sport will be on here posting about it afterwards
    Oh you don't what puerile means then ? You can rest assured I will not be on here Thursday after the game has finished, but having been a "proper" supporter like what you is I will watch it on Sky but I will not be investing my money in travelling to St Helens or anywhere else whilst the modern day coaches and administrators strangle the very soul out of the game that I have been following since the 70's. I have to log off now before the real experts come on and start to ram their self appointed expert opinion down everyone's throats.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Thank you for your input what I do is my business not yours if I want to go on any site that isn't at odds with human decency or backing a terrorist group or some other illegal organisation I will thanks. If you want to start up a Forum for non fans fine I don't think many will want to sign up but at least you can force your views on them with impunity.
    Well enjoy watching the game on Sky tonight that you don't enjoy watching anymore.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Just read on the website that they beat us 70-0 in 2004. Struggling to remember that one a bit, did we rest players or something?
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Just read on the website that they beat us 70-0 in 2004. Struggling to remember that one a bit, did we rest players or something?
    It was a truly awful night at Headingley. Either week before or week after the cup final I think and we rested some. It was shocking.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    It was a truly awful night at Headingley. Either week before or week after the cup final I think and we rested some. It was shocking.
    Cheers mate, briefly remember us playing Wigan around the same time. I was only a kid at the time but it was 2004 when we beat Wigan in that final wasn't it? Still have great memories of that day.
    V

Cheers mate, briefly remember us playing Wigan around the same time. I was only a kid at the time but it was 2004 when we beat Wigan in that final wasn't it? Still have great memories of that day.
    Cracking cup final that was. Long's performance in that game was imperious.

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Talking of anyway followings I remember when Saints used to take one coachload to away games two if we where lucky

Me too and I was invariably on it!!

Banned

Knew everyone by name Paul

Last edited by Div; 9th February 2017 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    One of the best half back performances I've seen pal, unreal he was. Was nice to get some revenge for the 2002 cup final as well.
    V

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Knew everyone by name Paul

Indeed. Many of them sadly no longer with us which makes me feel old!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Yeah that was the one at Cardiff. I had £10 on Lee Gilmour first try. I can still see Jason Hooper charging down Radlinski trying to get a kick away early on and Gilmour scoring from it.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

You need to subscribe to my youtube channel...andy1ad.

I need to get that game up, though... I htink its not added yet.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    You need to subscribe to my youtube channel...andy1ad.

I need to get that game up, though... I htink its not added yet.
    Ah, that's your channel! Top work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Long was brilliant on the day and we took the goons apart especially that run, kick and pass to Talau. Long made up for the infamous betting issue which saw him and Gleeson suspended earlier in the season.

Got A Season Ticket Gill O'Mild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    No it was not following the Cup Final - I think that we whipped Warrington away after the great Cardiff win. It was in the middle of summer and we had gone down heavily to Hull the week before.
    At the time we were struggling to beat Leeds, Wigan and Bradford in matches. That inability to win against the aforementioned ultimately led to the removal of the coach - the word on the Road at the time was that the Saints were under-prepared against the top teams; the Cardiff Final being the exception.
    Never knowingly resorts to ad hominem