Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nearly Thursday.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    With all due respect if you did not know there was a Saints game on Thursday you are not a fan, so not sure why you are on a site dedicated to Saints. Well I do, but hey if it gives you a cheap thrill knock yourself out.
    Like me he/she is probably fed up coming on here reading bullsh*t written by knowalls (well THEY think they know it all) with all undue respect he/she might not currently be a fan but like me he/she could have travelled all over watching Saints when the game was enjoyable and exciting and WORTH watching unlike the dire trash of the last few years. Now I'll let you superfans get back to tonguing each others discharge chambers.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Learning All The Songs

Nice dry night. Attractive opposition who usually bring a few, always like watching Saints against Leeds. Pretty confident the pack can lay a good platform for the backs to perform. Only Smith missing. Apart from the half backs we have a pretty useful back line. Just hope Fages kicks on this year, fingers crossed. Come on lads!

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Nice dry night. Attractive opposition who usually bring a few, always like watching Saints against Leeds. Pretty confident the pack can lay a good platform for the backs to perform. Only Smith missing. Apart from the half backs we have a pretty useful back line. Just hope Fages kicks on this year, fingers crossed. Come on lads!
    Leeds must have one of the worst away followings in SL. Always blaming the M62 for their poor Friday night showings. With it being a Thursday expect no more than a minibus full. There'll be more on the pitch than in the East stand.
    Even without Smith we should have enough to win this opener, although it's not the end of the world if we come up short.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Like me he/she is probably fed up coming on here reading bullsh*t written by knowalls (well THEY think they know it all) with all undue respect he/she might not currently be a fan but like me he/she could have travelled all over watching Saints when the game was enjoyable and exciting and WORTH watching unlike the dire trash of the last few years. Now I'll let you superfans get back to tonguing each others discharge chambers.
    I used to follow football. Don't now as I think is boring, so guess what I don't comment on the footy thread or any other footy forum. So if you or others were fans, great. If you now are not fans now for whatever valid reason that's fine as well. But if you can't stand watching Saints anymore then why comment about something you don't have any interest in.
    Thought a fans forum was for 'fans' maybe there should be a 'not a fans forum' for those that don't follow Saints anymore.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

New season
    New start
    There'll be >10k there but should be a good game and hopefully we can pick up a win.

COYS

I hope the lads do us proud on Thursday, but it will not be easy against a Leeds side out to prove a point after last season. I do hope that Fages and Richardson, are given the time to gel into a partnership until we get Smith back.

I'm also looking forward to see how the new guys go on, especially Morgan. I just hope Saints can put a marker down on Thursday for the rest of the season.

COYS

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Attractive opposition who usually bring a few
    For a club that size and success their away support is borderline pathetic at times. I'll never criticise a team for Thursday night attendance drops but Leeds wheel out the M62 excuse at the best of times.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

A high completion rate and good defence is all you can ask for at the start of the season. Fages/Richardson look weak (experience) compared to the Leeds counterpart, not much in it with the rest of the back line. Should have the edge in the pack to get the pivotal players on the front foot. Could be a close game with rusty combinations and bad reads in the defensive lines.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by The Verminator View Post
    For a club that size and success their away support is borderline pathetic at times. I'll never criticise a team for Thursday night attendance drops but Leeds wheel out the M62 excuse at the best of times.
    I think this is due to Leeds fanbase being from a wider area than most other teams. I've been to Headingley a few times in the last couple of years when I've been up seeing mates in Leeds and Sheffield, and on one occasions I got a train to Sheffield after the game, and on another I was coming up from Sheffield before a game. Both times the train was packed with Leeds fans heading to and from Wakefield and even as far as Sheffield. So for a sizeable minority of that fanbase the home games require a journey, and not just a walk up the road or a bus ride as is the case in St Helens or Wigan, so the away games are non-starters really.

I also think that their crowds increased off the back of them starting to win stuff again, and so the culture of travelling to away games is not ingrained in those fans. Fair credit to them, they stuck with their team in huge numbers despite a shocking season last year, but most had already paid for STs beforehand and maybe they wouldn't have been so inclined to turn up if they were having to fork out £25 every other Friday. Their away following has always reminded me of Bradford's when they were a big deal. They never brought massive followings despite averaging 15k at home, and I think the reasons are similar.

Learning All The Songs

Thursday evening temperature could drop below freezing. So get yer long johns out the cupboard chaps.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Can't disagree.

For the first time I can remember I won't be going to the opening game of the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    On the match, I think it'll be close. Saints have prepared with Smith at 7 all pre season and have now had to adjust. Richardson/Lee/Wilkin don't have the same qualities Smith has so we'll have to adjust our game, three weeks and one game isn't enough to fully adjust to that. We've got the edge on them in the forwards, it's nip and tuck on the edges (we'll need to try and cut down the 1 v 1's Hall had on Makinson) but I'm just wondering whether they'll have the edge in the halves. They'll come all guns blazing and they'll want to start the season really well after last year.
    Even Cunningham wouldn't be so stupid and not have an emergency back up plan if Smith got injured would he.

Close to call, I think we'll need them to have an off day but with home advantage you never know. It'll take a big performance to beat them IMO.

I used to follow football. Don't now as I think is boring, so guess what I don't comment on the footy thread or any other footy forum. So if you or others were fans, great. If you now are not fans now for whatever valid reason that's fine as well. But if you can't stand watching Saints anymore then why comment about something you don't have any interest in.
    Thought a fans forum was for 'fans' maybe there should be a 'not a fans forum' for those that don't follow Saints anymore.
    I was going to post the same thing. Do we really need to know that the same few posters haven't bought a season ticket, or won't be going to get game, or forgot about the game (despite spending their spare time on a website dedicated to Rugby League)? Or maybe the question should be, do we need to hear about it on every single post?

We get it, you're bored with the sport, bored with the club and no longer have an interest. In that case, I can't think why you would spend time talking about a subject that you are uninterested in!

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. I'll say it quietly on here, as it goes against popular opinion, but I'm looking forward to the season starting again. I've absolutely no idea how we'll go, which is one of the things that makes in interesting. I think our squad is better than Leeds, who I think will struggle again this year, but the result will depend on how we have adapted to losing Smith, and therefore having to make changes to how we have been planning throughout the off season.

If I was to make a prediction, I would call a narrow Saints win.

Banned

Saints are what bind many of us together it gives us a laugh and a really good moan but I cant wait for the season to come around again. The game has took a dive standard wise I think most fans of all clubs agree on that. We may need to accept that a smaller pool are playing the game and that may never be reversed.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    I'm basing it on what I've seen from KC over the last 2 years plus the fact he's gone out and signed 2 more props and a very structured HB in Smith.

Whilst these signings as individuals look ok - the only one that I am remotely excited by is Morgan (more out of hope than anything). We massively lack an X factor or anything exciting in the entire squad, I only see that coming from maybe Lomax and Fages on a good day. But Fages will probably be dropped like last year if he doesn't stick to 'the master plan'.

Plus Tommy Lee his signing is an embarrassment to our club.
    If you're going to win trophies, you need a balanced squad. The three main components to that are an organising 7, a good set of props and speed out wide. If a team ticks those boxes they've got a foundation to build on. He's signed two props because we needed them. Amor and Roby have carried us on their backs for a couple of years, Douglas will come in and take pressure off them. You can't criticise him for signings props, we've needed at least another consistent one for two years. Smith isn't everyone's cup of tea, fair enough, but we'll certainly miss him over the next few weeks.

I know you like Fages but he poses as many questions as answers IMO. He runs around like a bit of headless chicken and will bomb two tries out of three because his decision making and vision is erratic at best. Smith will do the basics, he'll direct and push people around the field. Saints' attack, from what I saw in the first half of the Widnes game, is aimed towards Fages and Lomax. It's going to be Fages' job to make those big decisions in attack and to throw the right passes to put players over he line. He's got a lot to learn and we were a far better team when Jordan Turner stepped into that role last year.

The way you're talking, you want a 1-7 full of mavericks. That'll get you into a relegation. fight and no further. Lomax is one of the best full backs in the country, Percival is one of the leagues best centres and Swift is developing into an excellent winger and they can all score from range. Morgan, I've not seen enough of to judge but there are only a couple with question marks over them and Fages is one of them for me.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    To be fair after reading the first page of posts I was beginning to feel guilty about looking forward to Thursday and about actually going to the match. Bit odd given this is a Saints forum.

Also FWIW I haven't been able to get to many home games over the last few years so I'll be replacing at least one of the stay at homes.

Learning All The Songs

With all due respect if you did not know there was a Saints game on Thursday you are not a fan, so not sure why you are on a site dedicated to Saints. Well I do, but hey if it gives you a cheap thrill knock yourself out.
    Mods; now I am not a super-duper fan anymore, do you want to revoke my Saints card? Kick me off the forum? Hate to upset the applecart. Just let me know...

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post

Mods; now I am not a super-duper fan anymore, do you want to revoke my Saints card? Kick me off the forum? Hate to upset the applecart. Just let me know...
    How puerile.

Anyway, bring on Thursday night and the return of SL. No doubt those who profess to having no interest in such a mind numbingly boring sport will be on here posting about it afterwards

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

It's up to each individual to decide if they're a 'fan' or not, how they 'support' the club, how they retain an 'interest' in it, or how to express there feelings about the whole issue.
    Renewing my ticket was never in doubt, but I do know that some on here have made some very difficult decisions not to renew, and not to attend certain games.
    IMO their views should be heard, even if others are bored with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    It's up to each individual to decide if they're a 'fan' or not, how they 'support' the club, how they retain an 'interest' in it, or how to express there feelings about the whole issue.
    Renewing my ticket was never in doubt, but I do know that some on here have made some very difficult decisions not to renew, and not to attend certain games.

Could not agree more. Excellent post

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

We'll said Barry.

There are some however who seem to think otherwise, usually wearing red vee tinted glasses and for whom Cunningham et al can do no wrong. I get equally bored with their endless commentary on how brilliant a fan this makes them.

Personally, I wouldn't post about a game I haven't watched, either in person or on tv. I'll feel free therefore to post about Thursdays game on Friday, should I decide to do so.

Those who don't like it, there's always the ignore button.........
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Verminator View Post
    Bronco posted a video of "Leeds Last Time Around". One of the first things I noticed was how empty the Leeds end was. I've been to Leeds a few times in recent years and we must take 4-5 times as many as they bring.

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Looking forward to seeing the Robes V Parcell battle. Apparently he is one of the signings of the season going up against probably one of the top 2 ever in SL history.....................mouthwatering!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I can't wait for Thursday now. Feels like forever since that last game at Warrington.

I'd just be happy to get off to a winning start to be honest. Obviously our plans have been scuppered a bit with Smith getting injured so I'm not expecting us to be playing the greatest style of rugby straight away until Richardson beds in, assuming he plays.

I think our pack is comfortably stronger than theirs and should give us the territory and field position to hurt Leeds; it's just a question of can our backs make the most of our chances.
    Our pack was dominated by Castleford a week ago and was, on many occasions, by other teams last year. We might have 4 props to trundle up the middle now, unlike other teams, but getting the ball to the wings remains a big enigma for Saints. The missing link is a true second row of quality. Teams with a good kicking game, as Leeds are, will peg us back in the knowledge we find it hard to emerge from our defensive zone. A lack of size and pace in 1, 2 and 5 contributes to this. Whilst this sounds pessimistic, I have seen nothing in the new signings to convince me things will change much this time round. The injury to smith is a massive blow. With him in the team our stability and shape will be much better.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Well said sir!