Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Saints v Leeds (Feb 9)

Banned

He took two big hits in quick succession, both just in our own half. Couldn't see the detail of the actual tackles, but you could see he was hurt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sonny nuckles View Post
    well it was 2 points and some stand out performances from big alex and theo but if im being really honest i didn't think much of the game. People mentioned "its only the first game" but lets be honest many off our games last season our attack was as clueless as that game then, luckily leeds was just as bad as the had tons of possession in our 20 in the first half. I have seen people on the saints idiot fbook page describe the game as "thrilling" and "outstanding" and even "astonishing" if this is the case then i must be out of touch as i was pretty much bored.
    It's knuckles. You ••••ing idiot.

Got A Season Ticket

Watching from down here in Auckland I though Peyroux had a good game- solid and some positive runs. I know he is not a fan's favourite but good on him tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    [/B]

From where I was stood he was hit in the head by a knee and the Leeds player appeared to give him a sly hit for good measure with his left arm.
    Hope he back for the next game.

Certainly a good win for us. Our attack was probably blunted a lot by Lomax going off. We obviously need to improve in this area but defensively based on that performance we are miles better than last season.
    Excellent performances from Fages and Makinson and Richardson did not look out of place.
    From what i saw it was a clash of heads firstly that troubled Lomax.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Good to get a win in round 1. Thought we were really poor in the first half, far too many dropped balls and needless penalties conceded and we gave them opportunities to attack us. We clearly went out with the intention of offloading the ball and trying to run their older guys around the pitch but the ball just didn't stick. Defensively we were really good though and considering how poor our completion was we did well to go in just the four points down at half time I thought.

Second half we kept up the intensity in defence but got a foothold in the game. Fages' try was a big moment - we visibily raised and Leeds visibly felt it. Both teams defended really well IMO, we scrambled brilliantly and Makinson's tackle on the corner was a huge play. Both halves took some stick from their experienced back rowers but stood up really well. I predicted before the game that our bench would have the edge and it turned out that way IMO; the introduction of Roby made a big difference and Walmsley was sensational. I thought Wilkin had a really good game, Morgan showed some nice signs in attack and was solid defensively apart from the try which was a bit of a lack of communication between him and Richardson.

Attack wasn't great but we played without a 7 and 1 when Lomax went off so hardly surprising. Rugby is a simple game though, if you do the basics well you won't go far wrong. It was a very in-Saints v Leeds game in many ways. We need to reduce the errors and improve our decision making in attack but we showed plenty of guts to get the win.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Well I for one bloody enjoyed it! Really tight evenly matched and a nail biter. Yes we can look for faults but why it was entertaining.

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

It was entertaining bit to close for comfort for me but never the less entertaining kept me engrossed only noticed the clock in the last 3 mins so I was never bored which is what I want from a game of Rugby League, Looking forward to going to Leigh next week it will be my first time at their new stadium I hope Lomax is ok and back for that game and hopefully we can kick on an consolidate a win CoyS

Learning All The Songs

Peyroux stood up tonight had a decent game run and hit hard (Soliola esq)
    Douglas was poor his handling needs to get better got smashed all game
    Tommy Lee was ok nowt special but will come in handy as the season progresses
    Theo needs a special mention great MOM performance with Richardson along side him a good debut also.
    Morgan got that tackle on Moon so wrong otherwise didn't see much from him to be fair.

Overall good first win great defence effort and bring on the Leathers

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Agree on Peyroux, particularly when he went out to the wing, he took no pressure off the forwards by taking the ball in.

I agree Douglas made some mistakes tonight but I think once he is settled then he will be a huge player for us. Noticed most tackles he was finding the floor well and looking to turn in the tackle. Once he firms up his core to stop getting turned then he will be great. I liked he put his hand up a lot too, When he was on the field he was very visual in his wanting the ball.

Morgan looks dangerous. Few wobbles but if he gets early ball then he will be a great weapon. Please Please Please dont use him like we used Poor Shenton. Give Centres early ball when possible and leave the rest to them.

Solid from Richardson. Very vocal. Decent Kicking game. Good few touches. He will improve from it. I think we need give him 5/6 games then he needs to dominate our pack and field position.

Fages was fantastic. Really like this lad. He is 100% a trier and has a lot about him. Young lad who needs a steady 7 and he will excel. The size of him and the weight he plays above is impressive

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I really enjoyed the game and I thought our defence improved beyond measure.

Pleased that KC gave Richardson his trust and he didn't let him down.Best debut from a saints youngster for some time.

I watched again when I got home last night and I thought that the diabolical penalty count in the first half and the 5 dropped balls gave leads a massive advantage in territory and our defence on those 12 extra sets was absolutely magnificent.

We need some work on attack but that will come.To be fair on another day we would have had another 4 tries and beaten them easily.The result flattered leeds.

I think Bentham will be absolutely gutted Leeds didn't win with all the extra help he gave them.One of the worst displays since Thaler in last seasons semi.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Your right Don Bentham and the Sky pundits were gutted We spoiled big Leeds are back party!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Watching from down here in Auckland I though Peyroux had a good game- solid and some positive runs. I know he is not a fan's favourite but good on him tonight.
    I agree, I thought he showed some good touches in attack and almost got a try. While solid in defence. The extra pace he brings to the pack is more effective when he plays down the middle.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    I must admit it has been one of my pet hates over the years players moving off the mark.
    Especially when the ref then gives them a penalty for interference.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Some notable defence from Wilkin and Fages, 60 tackles and 42 tackles respectively.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    I was sat next to Paul Anderson in the south stand and he said that the officials have been told to clamp down on players moving off the mark and milking penaltys which would explain the 2 quick penaltys against Amor and then on Leeds. To be honest though he could've penalised a lot more players for the same thing.
    True.

Burrow did it every time he was tackled.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Especially when the ref then gives them a penalty for interference.
    Leeds & Wigan are masters of moving off the mark. When stood up in a 2 man tackle, once the ref shouts held they shrug both markers off and step to the side so the markers then arent square, then the 9 runs into them and gets a penalty. Hope this gets clamped down this year!

Got A Season Ticket Injury Crisis 2010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It's an awful rule and should be removed from the game,Hall looked just as surprised as anyone he thought it was play on.
    Is this a new rule? Because if it is I find it astonishing that it is just an extension of taking the ball dead with one foot either side of the dead ball line, now it will bring it further in field by applying the same to the try line. I think most people hated this rule and even SKY have slated it for some time now so I can't believe this is a new rule, more likely another piece of amateur officialdom (not just blaming Bentham here what do the touch judges see? if anything).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Leeds & Wigan are masters of moving off the mark. When stood up in a 2 man tackle, once the ref shouts held they shrug both markers off and step to the side so the markers then arent square, then the 9 runs into them and gets a penalty. Hope this gets clamped down this year!
    Blatant cheating for me.Wigan and Leeds are masters at it.
    Learned comment from The Don

Enjoyed the game. Enjoyed the tackles and big hits.
    Good to see Saints playing for each other. Credit to Fages Richardson compo considering they had no off season together. Fages is an incredible tackler and adjusts his tackle technique depending on the size of the opponent. Never stopped running.
    Thought Wilkin did well and like to say even though I did not want him to start Peyroux was ok. Also Lee, although not outstanding did OK and can see him playing a few positons when needs must. Big Al did well which I mention as I have said I have been disappointed in him last season. A good team effort.
    Watched the game on TV when I got home. The ref. Well just inconsistent would be my biggest gripe, which I think almost all refs are.
    Concerned about how Lomax was dealt with. He got a head to head clash staggered to his feet he was assessed on the pitch and given the OK. He was not, he was staggering. Then got a ball kicked to him and almost fell into TM to hand him the ball. I noticed the RFL guy speaking to our doctor who to be fair did not look happy Lomax had not been brought off sooner.
    Overall enjoyed the game which had some excitement until the end. Good start and some good performances from individuals as well as a team effort.
    Also nice to see the MOM was given to the player everyone around me thought deserved it.
    Vive la France I say
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Peyroux anonymous.
    Given some of the subsequent comments that he went well, I'll have to re-watch the game on TV it seems.

Enjoyed the game, though - the low scoreline is irrelevant sometimes.

I know it's early days for the lad, but Douglas had a shocker last night. It seemed as though every drop or penalty against us in the first half came through him, hopefully it was just debut nerves.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Tough hard game. We defended well but i think a better team would have punished us for turning over so much cheap ball (Leeds looked pretty average and are lacking something).

We need to be better with the ball but hopefully that will come in time.

In round 1 a wins a win.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    ... the officials have been told to clamp down on players moving off the mark and milking penaltys which would explain the 2 quick penaltys against Amor and then on Leeds. To be honest though he could've penalised a lot more players for the same thing.
    That's Wigan stuffed then because moving off the mark is a big part of their tactics to get a quicker play the ball.

Another thing has just occurred to me.. Can someone explain why TM and AS from the get go were playing in the middles for so much of the game. In the whole game we had no wing play, which must be down to our wingers not being there. Ok TM was FB in the second half, but am I missing something about this tactic. At times Swift was first play the ball and passing to TM?
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.