Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    As much as JV loves his RL and is popular in the town, how much is he a walking-talking confirmation of the RL supporting stereotype? The ill educated Northern idiot.

Public and media perception was discussed fairly recently. I can't help thinking that RL needs to think more about how it reaches different audiences.
    He's not ill educated get your facts right.

Banned

I think it is quality.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    He's not ill educated get your facts right.
    He was commenting on Rogues not Vegas.

I'm not sure how he is reinforcing any stereotypes. He's an intelligent and successful bloke who happens to be from the north and loves our game. A fantastic figurehead IMO.
    Anybody with any intelligence, wherever they are from will understand that and see past the Guinness swilling 'Johnny Vegas' character. If they can't they are probably too stupid to win round anyway.

If we can't be proud of who and what we are, without fearing what others might think of us, well we might as well pack in and rejoin rugby union

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Love it. Sod the 'stereotype' it's a brilliant advert for a brilliant game. They can make professional video of big moments set to epic music for any sport but this is something different and it's bang on.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Not particularly a JV fan but I loved it. Still not sure what non fans will think of it. Love the poking of fun at other sports.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Not particularly a JV fan but I loved it. Still not sure what non fans will think of it. Love the poking of fun at other sports.
    The best thing about the whole video is that everything he says in it is completely true!
    Great advert COYS

Got A Season Ticket

Well done JV! Just what was needed - passion, enthusiasm and OPTIMISM. Funny, but affectionate.

Sky started to advertise RL season last night on Sky Sports and JV pops up in that which is funny as well. It seems to be a continuation of his full video.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Great video. Far more entertaining than the usual guff churned out by sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

It's pitched right though, for example it takes the Mick out of footballers falling over. Most football fans are annoyed by that too

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

I see your point eddiewaringsflatcap, but I just don't think Jimmy Carr would deliver the same clout as JV in that particular Video.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Agree with most that there can be nothing but a positive from things like this. I've no idea how much good it does, or how many people curiously give the game a chance off the back of it, but I don't see how it can be a negative.

My only grumble isn't about Vegas. It is in the continuation of the naming of our game as "Super League". Never once do the words "Rugby League" appear in the video, which annoys me.

Banned

I get your point Gray 77 but sell your soul and you dance to whatever tune the band play. Rugby as a brand being allowed to be copyrighted by union now that is where buffet boy sat on his hands

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    I get your point Gray 77 but sell your soul and you dance to whatever tune the band play. Rugby as a brand being allowed to be copyrighted by union now that is where buffet boy sat on his hands
    It's selective though. The Super League website is now called rugby-league.com, and so this is not a blanket decision. This advert is obviously a Sky thing with no real input from the RFL. It's really just an advert for Sky's coverage, so I will give the RFL a break on this, and will accept that Sky only cover that comp and will wish to market it however they want. But, it still annoys me that our sport has had it's name diluted and changed to some degree.

And it doesn't even make sense given that 'Super League' isn't even exclusive to RL. My other half has Super League tickets for the Copper Box, and she certainly isn't going to a RL game!

Noooobie

Reasonable advert.

Digressing ever so slightly does anyone know where there is a link to Johnny Vegas training with us before the 2001 CC final? Tried looking on the popular video sharing site but can't seem to find it

Got A Season Ticket a holy saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Get over yourselves lads a national figure showing passion for the game......top stuff for me.
    Fully agreed, it is so funny, full of passion and can only be good for our wonderful club and the game in general. Well done JV!
    :saint:
    Frome the Holy One

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Love it. Sod the 'stereotype' it's a brilliant advert for a brilliant game. They can make professional video of big moments set to epic music for any sport but this is something different and it's bang on.
    I agree. I think it's fantastic!

I also like to see promotion of comments like this from other celebrated sportsmen wanting to talk about our game too- https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3Rzko2WYAACiFU.jpg:large

Regards,

STEVO

Got A Season Ticket

Just think it will only appeal to a limited audience, not the image I think for a so called re-launch, not that I find that too inspiring. Only think fans will watch it.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Just think it will only appeal to a limited audience, not the image I think for a so called re-launch, not that I find that too inspiring. Only think fans will watch it.
    I love Johnny Vegas and I love the ad but I think you're right when you say it will appeal to a limited audience. I shared it on Facebook yesterday and there hasn't been a single reaction to it. Not very scientific I know but I also know that at least some of my Midlands and Southern friends don't get Johnny in the way I do.

To be honest, I suspect that ads promoting a specific sport probably only appeal to fans of that sport. If Peter Kaye appeared on TV promoting Wimbledon, I'd probably mentally turn off and I also really like his humour. Sky have really tried and have probably pleased most fans but a purely factual ad (details of the start of the season and proposed coverage) may have been just as good.

Despite my views on the effectiveness of the ad, however, I'm glad they made it. I think Johnny's passion for the game has probably got us fans stirred up for the season. It's got me looking forwards to the 9th February anyway but then again, I haven't been to either of the friendlies!

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I love Johnny Vegas and I love the ad but I think you're right when you say it will appeal to a limited audience. I shared it on Facebook yesterday and there hasn't been a single reaction to it. Not very scientific I know but I also know that at least some of my Midlands and Southern friends don't get Johnny in the way I do.

To be honest, I suspect that ads promoting a specific sport probably only appeal to fans of that sport. If Peter Kaye appeared on TV promoting Wimbledon, I'd probably mentally turn off and I also really like his humour. Sky have really tried and have probably pleased most fans but a purely factual ad (details of the start of the season and proposed coverage) may have been just as good.

Despite my views on the effectiveness of the ad, however, I'm glad they made it. I think Johnny's passion for the game has probably got us fans stirred up for the season. It's got me looking forwards to the 9th February anyway but then again, I haven't been to either of the friendlies!
    You are going into the psychology of advertising I guess, and I do agree with what you say. But to be fair that's not only the problem with RL. Football on Sky is hyped at the seasons start, during the season and beyond, but I don't guess anyone who is not into footy will be moved to watch. But what needs to be tapped into, and football has done this by mistake is to get someone who is not a footy fan to go to footy. I read an article about how a growing number of people attaching themselves to a big named footy club (Man Utd etc) who do not care about football, but go because it's now 'an event'. They go to be seen, mix with mates, drink, eat, book hospitality etc. They rarely follow the game whilst it's on the pitch, yet watch it via the TV feed in their 'box'. This is the same for top RU clubs, national events (England Footy games, Wimbledon to name a couple).
    This has now extended to music festivals etc. I spoke to a couple who went to Glastonbury for a week and never watched a bands set all the way through. They said it was just a great place to mingle etc.
    RL has to (much against the diehard fans views) get on this bandwagon if it want to grow. The NFL are masters of it. Lots of stuff before, during and after a game that bring in the 'event goers' as well as the diehards. Making RL attractive is the first problem to a wider audience though. We manage it to a degree at CC final, the GF and I guess maybe the magic weekend where many people who go then don't actually bother during a season (because if that were the case we should be getting 30,000 if you look at our 2014 triumph).
    Maybe JV and the ad is an attempt at that.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

My thoughts are that sports should play to their strengths and amplify whatever traditions they have. You know when the BBC roll out their 6 nations promos, the Scottish actors will be all bagpipes and kilts, the Irish all Guinness and clover and the English all pomp and ceremony. Darts played to its strengths and turned each match in to a night out with drinks. Barry Hearn took a British tradition and cranked up the volume, and now its packing out arenas. Hearn tried the same trick with snooker (walk-on music, informal attire etc), but concepts like 'power snooker' looked tacky and the drinking crowds singing over the the action was grinding through the TV set. Snooker, unlike pool, is a thinking person's game for the higher British attention span as opposed to say an American audience, and so it should drive harder towards its dickie-bow and waistcoat convention, not away from it. Sorry to go off on a tangent about snooker and darts , but it's a good example. So I don't mind Rugby League playing to its northern, working class integrity or more trivially pie eating (careful) image. Its heritage should be its commercial driving force in my opinion.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    My thoughts are that sports should play to their strengths and amplify whatever traditions they have. You know when the BBC roll out their 6 nations promos, the Scottish actors will be all bagpipes and kilts, the Irish all Guinness and clover and the English all pomp and ceremony. Darts played to its strengths and turned each match in to a night out with drinks. Barry Hearn took a British tradition and cranked up the volume, and now its packing out arenas. Hearn tried the same trick with snooker (walk-on music, informal attire etc), but concepts like 'power snooker' looked tacky and the drinking crowds singing over the the action was grinding through the TV set. Snooker, unlike pool, is a thinking person's game for the higher British attention span as opposed to say an American audience, and so it should drive harder towards its dickie-bow and waistcoat convention, not away from it. Sorry to go off on a tangent about snooker and darts , but it's a good example. So I don't mind Rugby League playing to its northern, working class integrity or more trivially pie eating (careful) image. Its heritage should be its commercial driving force in my opinion.
    You are absolutely right. And the ad is funny, passionate and really well done.

Thinking about other sports shows that you've got it spot on. Union attracts attention by emphasising Welsh, Scottish and French stereotypes and rivalries. However, I don't know whether ads work. Will Sky attract any new Rugby League viewers simply by showing the ad? Will any new spectators wonder into Langtree Park, Headingly or the Halliwell Jones Stadium because of the ad? I have my doubts but here's hoping it works.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Who's this advert actually aimed at?

I doubt you are going to attract viewers who watch other sports by patronising them and telling them the sport they follow is a load of old crap as are the players that play it and the people that watch it.

It's an unfortunate Rugby League trait. If you can't convince somebody how great your sport is (and it probably is hard these days), try to convince them that their own sport is a bag of shite and hope that does the trick instead. Unfortunately, rather than working it just makes them think you're arrogant and have a chip on your shoulder and any slight chance they might have had of turning the game on has now been flushed down the khazi.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

I think it's just a bit of fun to draw attention to the start of the new season. Take the mickey taking in the spirit it's intended. It's not going to make or break the sport but I don't think it's meant to.