Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Vegas

In The South Stand

Default Johnny Vegas

Just seen Vegas doing the promotion for Super League on Sky, Fantastic.

This file is not hosted on RedVee.Net, this is a YouTube video.
    Contact YouTube.Com if you have any copyright issues.
    Last edited by RedVee Admin; 29th January 2017 at 09:43. Reason: embedded video

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Just seen Vegas doing the promotion for Super League on Sky, Fantastic.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...er-league-xxii
    As much as JV loves his RL and is popular in the town, how much is he a walking-talking confirmation of the RL supporting stereotype? The ill educated Northern idiot.

Public and media perception was discussed fairly recently. I can't help thinking that RL needs to think more about how it reaches different audiences.

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

I agree with you doghead & he's got a Proper Saints Shirt on.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Tom Vol View Post
    I agree with you doghead & he's got a Proper Saints Shirt on.
    Got the later one with the V.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    As much as JV loves his RL and is popular in the town, how much is he a walking-talking confirmation of the RL supporting stereotype? The ill educated Northern idiot.

Public and media perception was discussed fairly recently. I can't help thinking that RL needs to think more about how it reaches different audiences.
    Would not mind be 5 bob behind that un-educated Northern idiot. I would suggest anyone with intelligence would see that JV is far more a success than others who were born into money and the best education (Comedian, comedy actor, serious actor, producer and music video producer to name some of his successes).
    Regarding a different audience, well like who? You ain't gonna convert a RU fan. You need to accept where your core base is and ensure the young want to watch it, not look to grab a posh kid whose dad drives him to see Bath play in his Range Rover and ridiculously knotted woollen scarf.

Also another thought about JV promoting RL. He is a household name, who is well liked by most, so I actually think he is an ideal choice. More people will know who JV is than about RL, so it may bring 'outsiders' to take a look.
    Last edited by 49er; 28th January 2017 at 13:48.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Even before I opened this thread I knew someone would be moaning about the video

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

"Johnny Vegas" is a character that Michael Pennington plays. Read his excellant autobiography to understand it more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    "Johnny Vegas" is a character that Michael Pennington plays. Read his excellant autobiography to understand it more.
    I already understand who Michael Pennington is mate. The question is rightly or wrongly what does the JV character imply about RL to those of us who arent ardent followers of the game (or JV for thta matter).

For a sport has partners such as Batchelors Mushy Peas, Betfred, Dacia, Ladbrokes Johnny Vegas fits nicely into a stratified c2 demographic. RL has always had a history of opportunity and transcending barriers not reinforcing them even though that history was rooted (proudly) as a blue collar one.

Business simply dont see RL as an attractive blue chip sport. Rather its perceived as a brand thats more B&M and far less Apple. The commercial implications for the sport are less revenue and a continued quest to find gold plated business partners that can positively contribute to a challenging balance sheet.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 28th January 2017 at 14:18.

Learning All The Songs

I already understand who Michael Pennington is mate. The question is rightly or wrongly what does the JV character imply about RL to those of us who arent ardent followers of the game.

For a sport has partners such as Batchelors Mushy Peas, Betfred, Dacia, Ladbrokes Johnny Vegas fits nicely into a stratified c2 demographic. RL has always had a history of opportunity and transcending barriers not reinforcing them even though that history was rooted (proudly) as a blue collar one.

Business simply dont see RL as an attractive blue chip sport. Rather its perceived as a brand thats more B&M and far less Apple. The commercial implications for the sport are less revenue and a continued quest to find gold plated business partners that can positively contribute to a challenging balance sheet.
    Thought it was really funny. I'd say having a leading British comedian is a good thing??? I agree with you on needing to boost the commercial revenue of the game but I dont think a light hearted comedy sketch to introduce the new season will be detrimental to that.
    We are a Northern sport at the of the day on the same way RL is mainly NSW and Queensland in Australia so having a famous Northern person on the advert is fine by me.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Would not mind be 5 bob behind that un-educated Northern idiot. I would suggest anyone with intelligence would see that JV is far more a success than others who were born into money and the best education (Comedian, comedy actor, serious actor, producer and music video producer to name some of his successes).
    Regarding a different audience, well like who? You ain't gonna convert a RU fan. You need to accept where your core base is and ensure the young want to watch it, not look to grab a posh kid whose dad drives him to see Bath play in his Range Rover and ridiculously knotted woollen scarf.

Also another thought about JV promoting RL. He is a household name, who is well liked by most, so I actually think he is an ideal choice. More people will know who JV is than about RL, so it may bring 'outsiders' to take a look.
    That did make me laugh as its very close to the money where Bath are concerned. I know and have seen exactly those types! You just need to add a pair of Joules chinos to the list mate.

Its a lot, lot less true where Glawster are concerned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Thought it was really funny. I'd say having a leading British comedian is a good thing??? I agree with you on needing to boost the commercial revenue of the game but I dont think a light hearted comedy sketch to introduce the new season will be detrimental to that.
    We are a Northern sport at the of the day on the same way RL is mainly NSW and Queensland in Australia so having a famous Northern person on the advert is fine by me.
    The last part of your post I personally agree with. I bristle at some of the bigoted attitudes of the south and loved the late Tony Wilson's total disdain of them.

Thumbs up from me. Like it ��

Got A Season Ticket

I live in Kent. I was brought up in East Anglia. I played union and nothing else. (League was never even on the radar). But I love watching League and I love supporting Saints. An expedition up to St Helens is one of the high points of the year, and I'll be watching them play the Rhinos at Langtree Park on February 9.

I liked Johnny Vegas's promotion, but it doesn't make a jot of difference to me. Rugby league is simply a great game.

Let's be careful about the stereotyping. Don't upset soft southern souls like me. (Not that I'll stop coming up north to see Saints).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Get over yourselves lads a national figure showing passion for the game......top stuff for me.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

The last part of your post I personally agree with. I bristle at some of the bigoted attitudes of the south and loved the late Tony Wilson's total disdain of them.
    Just how it is isn't it. South will always be Union dominated and North will be League but you make great points.

On a similar subject of appealing to fans....there's lots of people who are disillusioned with attending football.

Due to the similar nature of the event eg terracing, similar songs I think there's a real market to go for there.

I was totally fed up with football in 2012, came to one Saints game in 2013 and haven't looked back and I know people who have done similar, conveniently those same people and me are from the Midlands where football is in the main on its backside.

Areas where people are fed up with football should be a real target for the RFL to go after, however I doubt they've even got the vision to pick up on that.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I tend to agree, that word "insular" crops up again when the promotion will probably target an already captive market. The mockery of other sports is very funny and JV is very good in projecting the passions in the game. I think the RL needs to put something out there more slick and professional to give the sport profile a bit more up market to attract bigger money sponsors.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Canterbredve View Post
    I live in Kent. I was brought up in East Anglia. I played union and nothing else. (League was never even on the radar). But I love watching League and I love supporting Saints. An expedition up to St Helens is one of the high points of the year, and I'll be watching them play the Rhinos at Langtree Park on February 9.

I liked Johnny Vegas's promotion, but it doesn't make a jot of difference to me. Rugby league is simply a great game.

Let's be careful about the stereotyping. Don't upset soft southern souls like me. (Not that I'll stop coming up north to see Saints).
    Spot on mate!

Starting A Programme Collection

I love it. Its so typical of RL fans to worry about the image of the game and wanting to be squeaky clean and corporate.

Imagine darts saying, forget about all the drunk fellas in fancy dress dancing and going mental. We're going more professional. The whole sport loses its appeal.

There's nothing wrong with being a sport with a different identity to others. Who knows, it might even make it a little more interesting to outsiders, rather than just trying to be Rugby union lite.

In The South Stand

Not really a fan of Mr. Vegas but it's an entertaining and watchable video.

Got A Season Ticket Stockport Saint's Avatar

There are multitudes of people who like JV but have never watched a game of rugby league. If they catch the advert it might make them think about it. Also, it was better than rat boy running up a hill!

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

Love when he gets to the other code, and the DIRTY WORD!!! Reaction is brilliant, like he needs a disinfectant shower.

I like it, others players seemed into it and played along, now it just needs to be seen on SKY instead of on youtube and press releases.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

It's impossible for this to be a bad thing. Impossible.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Verminator View Post
    It's impossible for this to be a bad thing. Impossible.
    I really enjoyed it and agree it can't be a bad thing. Stereotypical or not it's a great advert for the game

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Thumbs up from me. Like it 👍
    I like it too, think some on here need to lighten up a bit

Learning All The Songs

Imagine not liking that video though