Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith ?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Gotta disagree with you on this one.
    Richardson split his time between U19's and Reserves last year and very much lead the team around the pitch in both competitions. The only difference between 1st team and these lower grades is he'll get far less time & space on the ball to make decisions and he'll learn to adjust his game accordingly. People bring up his defence, but just because he isn't built like a brick ***house doesn't make him a bad defender. He's probably no worse than we've had with other half backs in the past.

I've watched him a few times in the lower grades and he always stood out, not just because of some of the plays he did but more because of his style. He's a natural half back with good instinct, he plays head up and plays what's in front of him not just to some set pattern. We saw a bit of that against Widnes in the lead up to Fage's try. The play was set up to go to the right on the last but he looked up and could see they had numbered up and were covering any kick through so he changed the play, came back inside and put the kick through to the post, completely taking their full back out of the game.
    Its that instinctive play you need to stand out these days, and one reason why we don't have many natural halves in this country, we're too robotic and too fixated on set plays and set completions.
    I'd say Williams play a lot on instinct for Wigan but I'm struggling to think of any other good young halves that do.

Let Richardson develop into that role while Smith is out injured, what have we go to lose. Yes he's probably going to come up with a few mistakes but I'd argue that we gain far more from having him in the team than without him. Playing Wilkin or Lee in the halves seriously hampers out attacking ability.
    Spot on mate. You make some great points.
    I have watched almost all U19's and reserve games last year and he was one of the stand out players.
    IMO he is ready. I hope KC puts him in. Also it will show the fans KC's intentions on how he sees us playing this year.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Gotta disagree with you on this one.
    Richardson split his time between U19's and Reserves last year and very much lead the team around the pitch in both competitions. The only difference between 1st team and these lower grades is he'll get far less time & space on the ball to make decisions and he'll learn to adjust his game accordingly. People bring up his defence, but just because he isn't built like a brick ***house doesn't make him a bad defender. He's probably no worse than we've had with other half backs in the past.

I've watched him a few times in the lower grades and he always stood out, not just because of some of the plays he did but more because of his style. He's a natural half back with good instinct, he plays head up and plays what's in front of him not just to some set pattern. We saw a bit of that against Widnes in the lead up to Fage's try. The play was set up to go to the right on the last but he looked up and could see they had numbered up and were covering any kick through so he changed the play, came back inside and put the kick through to the post, completely taking their full back out of the game.
    Its that instinctive play you need to stand out these days, and one reason why we don't have many natural halves in this country, we're too robotic and too fixated on set plays and set completions.
    I'd say Williams play a lot on instinct for Wigan but I'm struggling to think of any other good young halves that do.

Let Richardson develop into that role while Smith is out injured, what have we go to lose. Yes he's probably going to come up with a few mistakes but I'd argue that we gain far more from having him in the team than without him. Playing Wilkin or Lee in the halves seriously hampers out attacking ability.

Really informative post this. Thanks ST. Do you think we'll give him 80 mins Sunday or thereabouts? I wonder if Cunningham will still try different options in the halves seeing as it's a friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Really informative post this. Thanks ST. Do you think we'll give him 80 mins Sunday or thereabouts? I wonder if Cunningham will still try different options in the halves seeing as it's a friendly
    I think if we don't see him playing in that position for a considerable time on Sunday we can say that KC won't use him the following week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I just don't see the point in putting Jon Wilkin or Tommy Lee there. Neither of them are natural half backs and Wilkin will be on the field anyway We've tried Jon Wilkin over and over again for years and whilst he's done an admirable job, it's been frustrating watching his erratic performances in that position, probably to the detriment of his international career. Give the young lad a few games to prove his worth and see how he does.

As for Matty Smith, you've got to be gutted for him. Hope he recovers soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I would agree that starting the season with Fages and Richardson would indeed mean that we were not at 100% effectiveness, and I would agree that right now as a tandem they probably aren't ready to lead a team around to a tip-top level.

However, give them 10 games together and I think they either prove themselves worthwhile or prove that their time has not yet arrived. As another poster said, it is a great chance to give Richardson the 7 shirt and give him some games. Nobody is being dropped, nobody is having their ego or their pride harmed, it is a simple promotion of the No.2 scrum half into the team to cover for the injury of the No.1 scrum half.

We have enough quality in the team to win enough games to keep ourselves in the conversation. If this were August and we were fighting for a Top 2 place and maybe had a Cup Final coming up then I would see the logic in not throwing the lad under a bus so to speak. But for the opening 6-10 games, when we can lose a few and not be unduly harmed by it, I say give him the shirt and roll with it. Better to be in a situation later in the year where we know we can throw Richardson in if we need to, having already giving him a run out now.
    Id be very surprised to see Richardson get sustained game time, Gray. Its wishful thinking. Cunningham is far more likely to go with what he knows which equates to Wilkin at scrum half and playing to the forward strengths.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Id be very surprised to see Richardson get sustained game time, Gray. Its wishful thinking. Cunningham is far more likely to go with what he knows which equates to Wilkin at scrum half and playing to the forward strengths.
    I want to see Richardson be given the chance also but first game of the season On Sky i bet Kieron goes with Wilkin?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    I want to see Richardson be given the chance also but first game of the season On Sky i bet Kieron goes with Wilkin?
    There may be a school of thought that says that may be a better option given the pitches are likely to be heavier than the summer months at this point. That said, I think Wilkin is ineffective at 7 against better teams

In The South Stand

Well I am a season ticket holder but if Wilkin is playing scrum half in any games I will not go because I am not continuing to watch what I do not enjoy.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Well I am a season ticket holder but if Wilkin is playing scrum half in any games I will not go because I am not continuing to watch what I do not enjoy.
    Will Tommy Lee be ok Ged?

In The South Stand

No I want to see the young lad who has been trained to be first in case of injury to be given his chance and that is Richardson.

Got A Season Ticket Stockport Saint's Avatar

If I went to the theatre to see phantom of the Opera and the main actor was ill, I would want the understudy to perform not some trombone player from the orchestra! (Not sure if Wilkin plays the trombone!)

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Stockport Saint View Post
    If I went to the theatre to see phantom of the Opera and the main actor was ill, I would want the understudy to perform not some trombone player from the orchestra! (Not sure if Wilkin plays the trombone!)
    Agreed - Cunningham has already said that Richardson is the backup scrum-half and presto we need him. I can't imagine KC going against what he's stated in the Press because he's NEVER done that before

KC's latest thoughts..

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/6540

I want DR to start the season. One reason is if we use Tommy Lee then who spells Roby? Was that not why we bought him? Use Danny and if it does not work move Tommy Lee there or in case of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Doesn't really give a lot away other than Richardson will get another chance but it sounds like he's hedging his bets with regards 7.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

As long as we don't have a scrum half playing at scrum half we will continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.We have no toes left as it is.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    Agreed - Cunningham has already said that Richardson is the backup scrum-half and presto we need him. I can't imagine KC going against what he's stated in the Press because he's NEVER done that before
    If we go by Cunninghams "word for word" he said Richardson is a back up for Fages, KC would have been assuming that Matty very rarely gets injured and its Fages the more injury prone. I don't think he was expecting this scenario coming at him before the season starts of using a Richardson/Fages pairing, he might take a chance on it but he could resort to less risk and use the Wilkin/Fages/Richardson/Lee permutations not to the fans liking unfortunately.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If we go by Cunninghams "word for word" he said Richardson is a back up for Fages, KC would have been assuming that Matty very rarely gets injured and its Fages the more injury prone. I don't think he was expecting this scenario coming at him before the season starts of using a Richardson/Fages pairing, he might take a chance on it but he could resort to less risk and use the Wilkin/Fages/Richardson/Lee permutations not to the fans liking unfortunately.
    Reading his comments i can see him not taking the risk. I think we'll see a forward slotting in be it Wilkin or Lee

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If a coach does not at least consider every possible injury scenario then he needs to improve. Ok Smith does not have an injury history, but this is RL anyone can and will get injured. In the vital position that Smith occupied KC should have a plan in the draw for this exactly outcome. If (and I have no idea) after Smiths injury he and SL stomped around the office chanting (thank you Spike Milligan for this) 'What are we going to do now, what are we going to do now' then that's bad pre planning for the season.

Learning All The Songs

Tommy Lee couldn't get a game at Salford so why would he be our scrum half, Richardson is 20 not 17 if he doesn't play now he's never gonna get a game

Got A Season Ticket

Please KC, don't go with Lee or wilkin in the halves, PLEASE! Lee was the only one of the new players who failed to impress me on Sunday. We could have been running with less power in the front row, but it seemed to me that we lost momentum at the ptb when Lee came on, his passing looked slower and I can only remember one run from dummy half. I thought wilkin played well at 13 when he was on the field but he isn't a half and never will be. Time to play Richardson and Fage and let them learn together.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Going by his latest club official statement KC is currently not considering Wilkin in the halves. Reading between the lines if Richardson comes through the Cas game OK he might get first shout.
    For Round 1 he could have 3 forwards on the bench + Lee who could cover to spell Roby or replace Richardson if the young chap struggles under pressure.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    That's the fear.

But let's see if Cunningham has learnt the lessons of last season (namely, (1) Wilkin isn't good enough in the halves despite playing there countless times; and (2) fans are right browned off with the sort of grind rugby that Wilkin in the halves seems to lead to)

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Tommy Lee couldn't get a game at Salford so why would he be our scrum half, Richardson is 20 not 17 if he doesn't play now he's never gonna get a game
    Just to put the record straight Tommy Lee couldn't get a game at Salford because he was injured from April. Having said that I too think he should definitely start with Richardson. We ruined Dave Hewitt by not playing him let's not ruin Danny Richardson

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Cojam24 View Post
    Just to put the record straight Tommy Lee couldn't get a game at Salford because he was injured from April. Having said that I too think he should definitely start with Richardson. We ruined Dave Hewitt by not playing him let's not ruin Danny Richardson
    I don't think Hewitt was ruined by Saints by not playing him. He never got a chance because he was never good enough for the 1st team.
    His defence was awful, even in the lower grades and while he was good on his feet and a fairly elusive runner he never really displayed any of the skills needed for a top class half back such as a strong kicking or passing game.

Is Richardson a natural 7 ? ,I thought he played stand off for the under 19s with Rob fairclough at scrum half , Cunningham did say if Fages gets injured then Richardson would get a run at 6 .