Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith ?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    I presume Saints will have been looking in the off season already for abother back up option in the halves. I wonder whether this will force their hand. Richardson looks a good player but what happens if he or Fages get injured which they have both done frequently in recent years.
    If we really wanted abother half we'd have signed Tod Carney.

Just got in from work and caught up. The one player who never gets injured gets injured. Speedy recovery Matty & best wishes.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I said on another thread that I thought Wilkin was the best on the field when he was on but the more I think about it, the more I think it could work. What I'd probably do is have Wilkin centrally at 13, Richardson right side, Fages left side and they can play second receiver on open side plays so they've got a bit more time. They'll have Wilkin running plays as he would at 7 anyway and we've got a big enough pack to cover for it. It's not ideal but at least we'll have some ball movement. Richardson has put at least a stone on I'd say over the winter and is more likely to cope now.

I'd try it next week v Cas and see how it goes at least.
    Yeah putting jw at 7 would be a good move. I once saw him get MOM at Leeds about 8yrs ago in a challenge cup game. I'm surprised we've not put wilkin in the scrum half position more often.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Yeah putting jw at 7 would be a good move. I once saw him get MOM at Leeds about 8yrs ago in a challenge cup game. I'm surprised we've not put wilkin in the scrum half position more often.
    pramtroll

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Broken ankle I've heard. Scan tomorrow to check for ligament damage.
    I've heard the same. Real shame.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection

How long is a broken ankle roughly?

Quote Originally Posted by saint-spoiler View Post
    A quick bit of research would suggest 6-12 weeks but it's all guesswork obviously at the moment. I guess it depends on many factors, not least ligament damage. Hopefully it's not too bad, the fact he hobbled off albeit with help is promising (I think).

Might be a blessing in disguise if it gives Richardson 6 or 8 games experience and Smith comes back to take the heat off him

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by saint-spoiler View Post
    I have broken my Ankle & it was 6 weeks in plaster, a further 2 weeks walking with a stick & a full 12 weeks from injury before I could jog let alone run.
    That said Matty will have a far better rehab than I did.
    It still hurts to this day when its damp or cold out.

Learning All The Songs

could be the "break" that Richardson needs to kick on - hope he takes his chance

Terrible news for Smith. Wasn't that keen on his signing but nobody deserves this sort of luck

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Completely regardless of what people thought of his signing, you have to feel for Smith, and for Cunningham too. It's shockingly bad luck for this to happen on his first game back and a lot of what Cunningham has planned and coached during pre-season will now have to be altered.

My personal preference would be for Richardson to be given a chance. The only silver lining from Wilkin moving to 7 would be Morgan Knowles getting a decent run at 13.
    If Cunningham is true to his word, then Richardson should get his chance- http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/..._Super_League/

I know he has specifically spoken about him coming in for Fages, but you would now have to think he will put the two together- Wilkin shouldn't be playing in the halves even under these circumstances. Jon Wilkin is Saint's best option at 13. I haven't seen Richardson play, but by all accounts he is a kicker and an organiser, so should be given the opportunity to do Smith's role.

If the injury to Matty Smith is as serious as suggested, hopefully he can make a full and speedy recovery, but it does again highlight the lack of options in the halves which was pointed out some time ago.

Regards,

STEVO

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Everybody could see the lack of depth in the halves. It says on the saints site Richardson is 16!!!! Is that right he's too young to play??? Or maybe he is going to suprise

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Everybody could see the lack of depth in the halves. It says on the saints site Richardson is 16!!!! Is that right he's too young to play??? Or maybe he is going to suprise

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

On his profile it says he is 16

No, It says he joined Saints from Halton aged 16

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

You're like the gift that keeps on giving Col. Keep it up mate.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

He is 16. #AlternativeFact

DOB 02/09/96, do the math.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    If we really wanted abother half we'd have signed Tod Carney.
    I think your typo got it just about right.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The number of games he has played without injury, this is unbelievable. I was really looking forward to seeing him with a dominant pack and decent 3/4s
    Hope you are back soon.

Got A Season Ticket

Thought we looked good early doors with our first 17 out, my only issue was with Smith kicking goals which we know he can't do very well, even if he did kick his goal from bang in front.

Gutted for Smith, but for the people adamant he offers nothing he'll get the chance to come in after a few weeks of the season and show us what we're missing. Broken ankle is the rumour, 12 weeks would with 3 weeks till the start of the season and a week off for the WCC would mean we could have him back by Easter Monday, and that's without him being a quick healer which obviously we don't know.

In terms of the team in his absence, I've no preference really.

Keeping Wilkin at 13 and giving Richardson a chance keeps us with 3 ball players but puts a lot of pressure on two young half backs, that being said Richardson is 20 now and should be looking to come through this season.

There would be a meltdown if Wilkin went into the halves, but I've always thought with a decent 6 he's done quite well at 7. In the last 2 seasons he's set up more tries than Smith. One of our best runs under KC came with Wilkin at 7, early doors in 2015.

Learning All The Songs

I'm not laughing at Smith; it's a horrible situation to be in, but jeez... we must be cursed. The guy has barely had a knock since he left us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Damn shame for Matty Smith. Hope he has a speedy recovery. On a more selfish note, new signing scrum half breaks his leg in friendly before seasons even kicked off. Could it happen to any other club????!!!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

You would imagine the way we started with Wilkin at 13 was how KC wants to set up for the season, the other alternative is LMS at 13 (fitness depending) and Wilkin at 7. I hope he doesn't do that, give Richardson his chance.

I must say, I was very impressed with Danny Richardson when he came on. He played with his head up, demonstrated a cultured kicking game, and when a play broke down he was smart enough to improvise his way out of the situation. Almost, dare I say it, like an old school half back.

The question will be over his defence. It looked okay yesterday, but he wasn't really tested too much. Time will tell on that score.

I'd definitely be inclined to give him the shirt while Smith recovers and keep Wilkin at 13.

Learning All The Songs

Tommy Lee to half back thats what will happen