Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Player memories - Steve Prescott

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Default Player memories - Steve Prescott

I've had this idea for a thread for a while now which I thought could be a nice one for the website before the season starts. Some one starts a thread with the title 'Player memories - *said player*' and we talk about our memories of 'said player', good or bad on the field, off the field, personal interactions, funny interactions, how you rated them as a player. The only 'rules' I have is that they have to have played for Saints (to stop it turning into threads about other clubs) and can't be a current Saints player.

So where better to start but with probably the most inspirational rugby player I've ever met. On the field I have to be honest I didn't remember much of him when he played for Saints as I was only 6 or 7, obviously I've seen the videos of him at the 96 Challenge Cup final with Bobbie's bombs. Sadly the only vivid memory I have of him playing is when he played for Hull FC and in 2003 at the KC Stadium. He made a break and even though Prescott was a few meters in front I was convinced that Albert was going to catch him but 10 meters or so out Prescott change direction just a fraction and that was enough for him to score the try. Hull went on and won I think pretty convincingly that afternoon. When he scored my dad turned to me and said that was great play by Prekkie, me being the rose tinted young Saint that I was quickly said to my dad that he was lucky and if the pitch was a little bit bigger then Albert would have caught him easy. Then dad explained to me how he used his brains and experience as well as his legs to score that try and a younger player probably would have just been head down and got caught. As annoyed as I was at the time whenever I saw the replay of the try over the years the close up him just doing enough to get past Albert always made me smile and appreciate the try for what it was, a great piece of play from Prescott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuuCKEvBrqk try is at 1.14 for those who are interested.

Please, fill up the thread with your memories of the great Steve Prescott.

Banned

Please, fill up the thread with your memories of the great Steve Prescott.[/QUOTE]

Not the greatest player to wear the red vee and perhaps not in the greatest 100. But the finest bravest man to come from this town. To be diagnosed in the way that Prekky was and do so much for others was amazing.

When you hear the word cancer 99% of the population quite rightly go into panic mode that lad left a legacy of help and compassion.

As a player he was a part of our journey from bridesmaids in a competition that was unequal and came to pass built on sand by one club to winners and that is what he will always be a winner.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I though Precky was a very good player and was inches away from being the first player to score a hat trick at Wembley. As Furlongs says not a great but certainly very good.

As a person he was second to none and his fight against his illness inspired a whole sport. I feel previleged to have met him several times during his illness and have never met a nicer, more humble man than Steve.
    Hero is a word that has lost its meaning in modern times but Steve was definitely a hero in its truest sense

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I remember first watching Prekky in the 92/93 season as a goal kicking full back for the A team who scored plenty of tries , Eric Hughes made a him first team regular over the next couple of seasons.
    If you're talking about memories and moments and things that just stick in your mind for some reason I have one. We played Leeds away in a Premiership semi final in 1995 which we did lose but I remember the ex Widnes forward Esene Faimalo being put through a gap 40 yards out with only Prekky in front of him, I thought he's gonna steam roll him here, Faimalo could shift for his size but Prekky shown him the touchline and brought him down with a cracking tackle round the ankles and Faimalo either went into touch or knocked on or something which sent the Saints fans into song "Prekky for England", referring to the upcoming World Cup that year.

Really liked him as a player but as a person a true inspiration...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I remember first watching Prekky in the 92/93 season as a goal kicking full back for the A team who scored plenty of tries , Eric Hughes made a him first team regular over the next couple of seasons.
    If you're talking about memories and moments and things that just stick in your mind for some reason I have one. We played Leeds away in a Premiership semi final in 1995 which we did lose but I remember the ex Widnes forward Esene Faimalo being put through a gap 40 yards out with only Prekky in front of him, I thought he's gonna steam roll him here, Faimalo could shift for his size but Prekky shown him the touchline and brought him down with a cracking tackle round the ankles and Faimalo either went into touch or knocked on or something which sent the Saints fans into song "Prekky for England", referring to the upcoming World Cup that year.

Really liked him as a player but as a person a true inspiration...
    Yes he did lots of one on one defensive tackles in that style of coming into the side and taking the legs. He had deceptive pace at times and we all remember his long range tries for both Saints and Hull. One interesting point was his salary dispute with the club resulting in his move to Hull, if our club gave him the salary upgrade would we have seen the 14 years of Paul Wellens.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

My two stand-out memories from his playing days are both from 1996. Firstly his performance and 2 tries in the cup final at Wembley, and as someone else mentioned coming inches from a 3rd try when Goulding's kick hit the crossbar. Secondly his try-saving tackle away at Castleford later in the season on Jason Flowers (I think). It was a pivotal moment not only in that game but in us winning the title and ending Wigan's dominance that year.

Off the field, there's not much I can say to do him justice in terms of his inspiration and the strength he showed during his illness. I was lucky enough to meet him once or twice over the years and I knew his brother Neil from his time at Thatto Heath Crusaders and the way he battled on and never gave in and raised loads of money in the process was amazing. Reading his book was very emotional I don't mind admitting but it gave a real insight into the things he went through and he really was a hero in many people's eyes and will never be forgotten.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I never met him but saw him around from time to time. When his name comes up I never think of his rugby days and that's not because I did not rate him. It's because he is one of the few people in life who have really moved me. His fight for life and combining it with his fight for others is indeed inspirational.
    I can never comprehend how he dealt with all his health issues and still had time and energy to give so much. I know for one I could not do what he did.
    My only (selfish) regret is I never had the chance to shake his hand and just say 'Hi'.
    A true inspiration.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

I've many happy recollections of his playing exploits but the standout memory is an occasion when he was battling against illness and yet putting his body on the line to raise money for charity. I was in the departure lounge at Liverpool airport with my grandchildren when we noticed Steve Prescott and others waiting to fly to the South of France to begin one of their marathon endurance fundraisers. My wife went over to ask Steve if he'd be willing to have a photo taken with my granddaughter explaining that she was an avid Saints fan but too young to remember him as a player. Not only was he happy to do so, he also had a long chat with my granddaughter and then went round gathering the ex-Saints players in the entourage (including Chris Joynt, Scully and Gary Connolly) so they could have a group photo with my granddaughter. A very good player in my view but an even better person.

What he achieved as a person is beyond praise really - unbelievable courage. But I think it has had the effect of overshadowing slightly what an excellent player he was. He meant a lot to me as a player for a few reasons. Firstly, I think he was probably the first exciting youngster that I saw come through the ranks at Saints (I started watching in 92-93, and he made his debut the following year, I think). Secondly, at that time I was a skinny kid trying to get somewhere playing rugby ... I had footwork and pace but there was nothing of me. Prekkie was an inspiration to me when he was breaking through because he showed that you could be lightweight and still be a cracking player if you were talented enough (I wasn't, but let's not dwell on that). And thirdly, he was just a pleasure to watch - a really elegant and instinctive runner.

As for specific memories, there were of course the heroics in '96, but I think I most fondly remember his first full season in '94-95. One moment that sticks in my mind is his contribution to an Anthony Sullivan try at home vs a strong and unbeaten Cas side. At 6:35 here. Watch him skin Kemp, sit Nikau down and then flick the killer pass to Sullivan. Magic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    What he achieved as a person is beyond praise really - unbelievable courage. But I think it has had the effect of overshadowing slightly what an excellent player he was.
    Great point - and I agree.

I worked with his mum, so followed his emergence into the 1st team closely. He was fast (not lightening, but one of the fastest FB's in the league), fearless and had a rugby brain. I don't remember the opposition (think it might have been the piescum), but there was one occasion their winger broke through. Prekkie showed him the outside and it looked for a moment that he'd been skinned, but then he just dove round the winger's legs and let his momentum take them both into touch. Copybook.

In The South Stand

One of Steve Prescott best ever games was this one. Outstanding in defence and attack that day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZL3BSl200A

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    One of Steve Prescott best ever games was this one. Outstanding in defence and attack that day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZL3BSl200A
    I remember it well.What a great match

I remember a tackle he made on a Wire player when we beat them 80-0 in the regal trophy semi final either late 95 or early 96. That was brilliant. Knew him quite well as his mum and dad live in the street behind where my mum and dad used to live. Neil is a great lad too. He was an inspiration and it was a very sad day when he passed away. What he's done and gone through will help people suffering from that illness. An incredible human being

Check out this video of Steve in action, both attack & defence, club & country - http://steveprescottfoundation.co.uk...s-1993-to-2004
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

Lived over the road from Prekky when I was a kid and he was at Saints. Wonderful fella, used to throw the ball with him on our front and shown me all of his shirts and memorabilia he'd kept from games. Memories I'll always keep those

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    What he achieved as a person is beyond praise really - unbelievable courage. But I think it has had the effect of overshadowing slightly what an excellent player he was. He meant a lot to me as a player for a few reasons. Firstly, I think he was probably the first exciting youngster that I saw come through the ranks at Saints (I started watching in 92-93, and he made his debut the following year, I think). Secondly, at that time I was a skinny kid trying to get somewhere playing rugby ... I had footwork and pace but there was nothing of me. Prekkie was an inspiration to me when he was breaking through because he showed that you could be lightweight and still be a cracking player if you were talented enough (I wasn't, but let's not dwell on that). And thirdly, he was just a pleasure to watch - a really elegant and instinctive runner.

As for specific memories, there were of course the heroics in '96, but I think I most fondly remember his first full season in '94-95. One moment that sticks in my mind is his contribution to an Anthony Sullivan try at home vs a strong and unbeaten Cas side. At 6:35 here. Watch him skin Kemp, sit Nikau down and then flick the killer pass to Sullivan. Magic.
    I've only got to this point in the thread and had to comment. That is magic! What a try