Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Brexit: One Reason NRL players leave!

Default Brexit: One Reason NRL players leave!

Not the only reason but.... as we all know, since the vote leave Europe the value of the pound has nose-dived. So think of it as Aussie players takin a 15% pay cut.

Think all my family voted remain so if anyone ia available to come over for an argument on Christmas please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
    Not the only reason but.... as we all know, since the vote leave Europe the value of the pound has nose-dived. So think of it as Aussie players takin a 15% pay cut.

Think all my family voted remain so if anyone ia available to come over for an argument on Christmas please let me know.
    What's this got to do with the price of rice in China.

Starting A Programme Collection SodIt the Hedgehog's Avatar

A weakening pound isn't going to help. I've just checked the exchange rate for this time last year and today. If a club offered a player £200,000 a year this morning it'd be worth about $340,000 to him. This time last year, that was just under $412,000.

If the player dug his heels in and said "No, I want $400,000" it'd cost a Super League club £235,000 now compared to £194,000 twelve months ago -an increase of £41,000, or about 21%. What's that, a couple of young players? That's a dent in your salary cap because of the outcome of a political referendum which was ostensibly concerned with our membership of the European Union, but has affected the value of our money relative to Australia's because people voted to 'take back control'.

Add to that the fact that the prestige and standard of rugby is miles better over there and we don't really have much to persuade NRL-level players to come over.

In the main the only players that come from the NRL are if they are sub standard or their reputation is in tatters and nobody will touch them. The Australian salary cap blows ours out of the water and the Aussie currency has been strong for sometime.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    ... the Aussie currency has been strong for sometime.
    Yes but not this strong. This is now exceptional.

Got A Replica Shirt

*Just waiting for some racist to come on and say 'Get over it. Brexit means Brexit', so I can carry on reading about our away shirt....

Learning All The Songs

Dear god, the asylum gates have been left open and a few have rocked up on this forum !

SL player contracts are in pounds sterling not Aussie dollars. So a contract worth £100K before Brexit is still worth £100K now - Surely even the most backward remoaner can understand this (or maybe not judging by some of the comments on here)

The NRL cap is $7M for next year with plans to further increase it to $10M over the next few years. Regardless of the value of sterling SL will never be able to compete financially with the NRL - Sod all to do with Brexit

Got A Season Ticket

Sad in 2016 we rely so much on imports, and football is even worse! reading this week's rugby press yesterday we are going backwards lol

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Default Brexit: One Reason NRL players leave!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post

SL player contracts are in pounds sterling not Aussie dollars. So a contract worth £100K before Brexit is still worth £100K now - Surely even the most backward remoaner can understand this (or maybe not judging by some of the comments on here)
    Hahaha dear lord, you're the one who can't understand economics. Do you think the Aussie players spend their entire salary in Sterling?

To offer the same equivalent salary that an Aussie coming over here would have been offered 12 months ago would now cost 15% more - that's fact.

Equally it's now cheaper for an NRL club to sign a Brit demanding £100k salary to move to the NRL due to the exchange rate.

Even if we did go with your argument that £100k is still a £100k - even that's worth less due to the subsequent rise in the cost of living!!

Anyway, St Helens reaps what it sews for the way it chose to vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LastSaintsFanStanding View Post
    *Just waiting for some racist to come on and say 'Get over it. Brexit means Brexit', so I can carry on reading about our away shirt....
    Can we squash this nothing thread before we get more ugly posts like this one please?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Hahaha dear lord, you're the one who can't understand economics. Do you think the Aussie players spend their entire salary in Sterling?

To offer the same equivalent salary that an Aussie coming over here would have been offered 12 months ago would now cost 15% more - that's fact.

Equally it's now cheaper for an NRL club to sign a Brit demanding £100k salary to move to the NRL due to the exchange rate.

Even if we did go with your argument that £100k is still a £100k - even that's worth less due to the subsequent rise in the cost of living!!

NRL players don't come here for the cash while they can earn so much more over there.
    They come here when they can no longer get a decent NRL deal (either because their old or have been bad boys and been booted out), or because they can't get regular 1st team rugby.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by LastSaintsFanStanding View Post
    What? I hope this is a joke mate? Or are we going to label everyone who dares disagree with the establishment "racist"? This trick has been enacted before, the labelling of people with yellow stars to marginalise them and make sure their opinions didn't count! As Churchill said all those years ago, "The anti fascists will become the fascists." It's now beyond doubt thanks to numerous reports into child abuse in Rotherham and other "diverse" areas, that council employees and the police were afraid to do their job because of fear of being called racist. As a result over a thousand indigenous children were raped. To be honest you really need to leave this topic to websites that deal in politics, not on this forum. If it was a joke, my apologies.

I'm sure any Aussie worth his salt will have a 'Jimmy Carr' accountant employed to help him offset any currency fluctuations.
    I say this in a flippant way as I am laughing how people can link so many topics to a RL subject.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    What? I hope this is a joke mate? Or are we going to label everyone who dares disagree with the establishment "racist"? This trick has been enacted before, the labelling of people with yellow stars to marginalise them and make sure their opinions didn't count! As Churchill said all those years ago, "The anti fascists will become the fascists." It's now beyond doubt thanks to numerous reports into child abuse in Rotherham and other "diverse" areas, that council employees and the police were afraid to do their job because of fear of being called racist. As a result over a thousand indigenous children were raped. To be honest you really need to leave this topic to websites that deal in politics, not on this forum. If it was a joke, my apologies.
    Spot on Prez couldn't have worded that better my thoughts entirely.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post

True.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/m...cy/default.stm
    1 year high 2.118 Aus$ to the £
    1 year low 1.677 Aus$ to the £

That's around 21% drop.

In The South Stand

Dear god, the asylum gates have been left open and a few have rocked up on this forum !

Do you really believe this tosh?!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

NRL players don't come here for the cash while they can earn so much more over there.
    They come here when they can no longer get a decent NRL deal (either because their old or have been bad boys and been booted out), or because they can't get regular 1st team rugby.
    Just because they are not being offered a deal in the NRL doesn't mean they can't get a contract in Australia. It may well now be more enticing for them to play for the Ipswich Jets or the Burleigh Bears than come here when their £100,000 take home in sterling has been depreciated when converted back to Aussie dollars on go-home day.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Just because they are not being offered a deal in the NRL doesn't mean they can't get a contract in Australia. It may well now be more enticing for them to play for the Ipswich Jets or the Burleigh Bears than come here when their £100,000 take home in sterling has been depreciated when converted back to Aussie dollars on go-home day.
    I don't see that as bad news to be honest.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I don't see that as bad news to be honest.
    Agreed - hopefully a large proportion of the journeymen players will sign for Burleigh Bears etc and we can then use salary cap on attracting and developing British talent.

Re the Aussies as said above many of them are having to leave Australia under various temporary clouds. I don't think a short term movement in Sterling will prevent them moving away to escape the spotlight

Only impact of Brexit might be we cant have free movement of French players but am sure we can all live with that !

Starting A Programme Collection SodIt the Hedgehog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Only impact of Brexit might be we cant have free movement of French players but am sure we can all live with that !
    No way, I want to see Fages jinking through a broken field!

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I think the last line tells you if it was light hearted or not, unless the subject of our new away isn't a laughing matter to SOME?

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

The NRL cap is $7M for next year with plans to further increase it to $10M over the next few years. Regardless of the value of sterling SL will never be able to compete financially with the NRL - Sod all to do with Brexit
    Is it just me who can't stand that bloody word?