Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Harry Pinner and three top guests

Got A Season Ticket

Default Harry Pinner and three top guests

The launch of the biography "Harry Pinner. A Born Leader" will be held on Wednesday afternoon 7th December between 2 and 4 in St Helens Library. Among the guest speakers will be Ray French, Billy Benyon and George Nicholls. Everybody welcome.

Any other sessions planned?
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    Any other sessions planned?
    I was in Wardleworths on Westfield Street yesterday and they told me he was doing a book signing in there next Saturday. Don't know the time though.

Bought his book in Wardleworths and I think they said Harry Pinner would be signing books from 10.00-11.30 next Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Bought his book in Wardleworths and I think they said Harry Pinner would be signing books from 10.00-11.30 next Saturday.
    Thanks for that. Will do my best to get down there

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I went down on Saturday to get my Dad a copy. He came across as a really nice gentleman who is rightfully very proud of the career he had. Before my time but I've seen the tries from the Hull KR final in 85 and games in and around that era and he was clearly an excellent ball player and tough as old boots.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I went down on Saturday to get my Dad a copy. He came across as a really nice gentleman who is rightfully very proud of the career he had. Before my time but I've seen the tries from the Hull KR final in 85 and games in and around that era and he was clearly an excellent ball player and tough as old boots.
    You missed a treat.

He is a really nice person. He would always take time and talk to fans.

I am sure it broke his heart leaving Saints, especially in exchange for a mercenary like Fieldhouse.

My all time favourite memory of him is that try in the 1985 Premiership Final.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Got A Season Ticket

I have seen an interview where Harry was not happy at leaving Saints. I think he thought Murphy was threatened by his presence in the team.

Banned

He was captain in my first season watching Saints, and I distinctly remember fans loving and dismissing him as garbage in what seemed to be pretty equal numbers.

He was a guest on Radio Merseyside's 'Try Time' last night. I only caught a bit of it on the drive home from work as I had to take a phone call, but I think you can listen to the show at www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04gnzzc

Learning All The Songs

He was in the Tommy Martyn class regarding ball handling. Very clever footballer who was classy from an early age.

Banned

Harry did not bend his back to tackle very often. However Harry came through when the glory days had gone. Leigh and Widnes led the way this side of the hill and the two Hull clubs over there. Wigan went down, Leeds were bang average. Saints as a club hit lucky in a way, we had Harry who was class no doubt about that and Neil Holding couldn't half shift and Stevie Peters couldn't half tackle. Those three between 79 and 82 kept our club in the top 8. I remember times our pack was so lightweight we had Les Jones second row and prop forward wise I do believe that is why Eric Chisnall left the club due to not wanting to move to blind side prop, don't forget guys it wasn't a sanitised game then, Jim Mills, Les Boyd, Len Casey they didn't replicate the Josh Perry school of front row forwards, no Harry was a good un at a very young age.