Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saints hard men from union.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I don't think anyone actually knows if it happened

Definitely but never came to blows. Stretch walked to the front of the line and Stuart "politely" told him to get to the f#%^*$g back.Stretch identified himself and Evans said he couldn't give a F&Łk, get to the back. Stretch went to the back.
    The Chippie was in Greenfield Rd on the block before the old Windleshaw school.

Got A Replica Shirt

Anybody who hasn't nominated Cliff Watson has obviously never seen him playing or read about his exploits. He was the hardest and probably the finest prop Saints have ever had. The Aussies loved him!

Quote Originally Posted by jefmeister2004 View Post
    Indeed - it was the Spicy Chicken, but more to the point it was Tony Burke not Evans

Nah it was Evans.

Rumour was about Burke with his missus IIRC! The other major thing he dropped was that feckin pass in the CC at Salford!

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Nah it was Evans.

Rumour was about Burke with his missus IIRC! The other major thing he dropped was that feckin pass in the CC at Salford!
    It was Burke who threw the pass. Over 2 players heads and onto a piece of grass about 2 yards from our line. Salford just picked it up and scored a try.

The amazing thing about the Evans/Stretch incident is that 4000 people claim to have been in the shop at the time
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Nah it was Evans.

Did he and Forber have a fight over that?

There were many rumours about that Salford game. Player "A" and "B" fighting. Player "C" and "D" fighting, as well as the usual rumours that did the rounds in those days.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I think it was Forber flattened him at a Xmas drinks do at Joe Pickavance's house, but that was allegedly over Burke hitting his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by The Farter View Post
    Anybody who hasn't nominated Cliff Watson has obviously never seen him playing or read about his exploits. He was the hardest and probably the finest prop Saints have ever had. The Aussies loved him!
    Depends on the how you think what hard means. Watson was a HARD forward but when it came to the other meaning of hard i'm afraid he got filled in by Keith Holden at Knowsley Rd.

Noooobie

For me the hardest Saints' ex-RU forward was Graham Rees. He held together the Saints' pack in the early seventies. Mick Murphy and Roy Mathias were also as hard as nails. Steve Bayliss was a talented and hard player - what a pity he had such a short RL career.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Roy "slasher" Mathias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddington Standard View Post
    For me the hardest Saints' ex-RU forward was Graham Rees. He held together the Saints' pack in the early seventies. Mick Murphy and Roy Mathias were also as hard as nails. Steve Bayliss was a talented and hard player - what a pity he had such a short RL career.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Roy "slasher" Mathias.
    Kevin Whittle filled him in.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Remember KW playing up in Blackpool for "Pilks" in the 80' came on as subby didn't half do some damage , still owes me a favour .
    Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    Kevin Whittle filled him in.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    Depends on the how you think what hard means. Watson was a HARD forward but when it came to the other meaning of hard i'm afraid he got filled in by Keith Holden at Knowsley Rd.
    Keith Holden could "look after himself" The famous or infamous incident with Mick Sullivan on the team coach coming back from Workington and then sent off in a Ward Cup "friendly" along with Ray Ashby to then rejoin Wigan play alongside him one of the best Wembley finals ever seen v Hunslet in 1965. I was talking to Ray a few months back about that "friendly" game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Keith Holden could "look after himself" The famous or infamous incident with Mick Sullivan on the team coach coming back from Workington and then sent off in a Ward Cup "friendly" along with Ray Ashby to then rejoin Wigan play alongside him one of the best Wembley finals ever seen v Hunslet in 1965. I was talking to Ray a few months back about that "friendly" game.

I don't recall Keith Holden ever being a "Saints hard man" get back on track Gallery man and stop derailing the thread.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    Definitely but never came to blows. Stretch walked to the front of the line and Stuart "politely" told him to get to the f#%^*$g back.Stretch identified himself and Evans said he couldn't give a F&Łk, get to the back. Stretch went to the back.
    The Chippie was in Greenfield Rd on the block before the old Windleshaw school.
    It was in the chippy on north road, not Angelos on greenfield rd. I lived about 4 doors away from there. I seem to remember buffer being involved, or at least we heard it through his uncle who was a postie and linesman, was always a source of good inside info!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    So what you boring old weirdo.