Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty smith signs

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by wrexhamsaint View Post
    Answered your own question there.
    This is claimed but other than Roby/Graham when was the last time we produced a top international? Saints seem to produce journey men but i don't want to get into that.

I didnt state Lomax or Percival were top internationals.

You have edited my comment for some reason to, do you work for the media by any chance?

Got A Season Ticket

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/37105827
    A mere 55 days ago...... Makes him look like a complete clown
    Yes , my problem isn't in the signing of Smith but the way KC has consistently denied it and it 's not the first time either. He definitely needs to attend media classes and learn how to avoid a question rather than blatantly lie. Never has my opinion of a man changed so drastically, can't believe a word he says

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I think that it might actually be a good signing provided that it genuinely leads to more game time for Richardson and Fages with an experienced half to play alongside.If there are more signings to come then as a whole the recruitment might be pretty good generally.

A bit more thought may have actually gone in to this recruitment.Just wait and see until we finish with the signings.
    This isn't going to happen, to quote our great leader 'his partnership with Theo will be an exciting one to watch'

Which means we will not see any youngsters coming through next season, or the season after, or the season after that (barring any serious injuries), which will then be 3 more years down the line and the likes of Richardson et al will have been shipped out to Barrow, or Featherstone never to be seen in SL again

Starting A Programme Collection wrexhamsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Verminator View Post
    This is a dark, dark day as far as I am concerned. It's about more than his ability, it's about the class (or lack of class) of person we've signed. I don't think he's very good to say the least, in fact he is the dictionary definition of smack bang average. But he has kissed the Wigan badge in celebration at scoring a try against us. There is no way back as far as I am concerned. I have 3 weeks to think about my season ticket renewal - I feel that strongly that I think that my mind is already made up.
    Dark, dark day? Really?

He's a good player - not Thurston, not Marshall, but a good player nevertheless. I know RL is tribal, but he's a professional sportsman, not a fan, and they give their loyalty to whichever team is paying their wages: if he kisses a badge, so what? I hate to propose a radical solution, but shall we wait until we've seen him play for us before we pass judgement?
    Burning with optimism's flames.

Quote Originally Posted by wide 2 west View Post
    Yes , my problem isn't in the signing of Smith but the way KC has consistently denied it and it 's not the first time either. He definitely needs to attend media classes and learn how to avoid a question rather than blatantly lie. Never has my opinion of a man changed so drastically, can't believe a word he says
    Why would he come out and say he wants Smith when Smith is still playing for Wigan and has a chance to win SL with them?

Do you think Saints should tell you every time they speak to a player about signing, or who they want to sign?

In The South Stand

I've exploded enough on Twitter about this so don't want to go into too much depth on my disappointment at this signing. But I will say this is a perfect representation of where this club is right now. Average is fine, middle of the road stability is the aim. Trophies are a bonus if one ever comes along, the club isn't what is was in the KR days, it doesn't care about success anymore. The lack of ambition is so grating, especially when you see the sheep trying to justify it. The only thing that MIGHT make this an average signing is if the quality of the rest of the league falls in line with our own decline, which is continuing at pace.

But to try and elevate the debate from whether it's the worst signing ever or amazing as the sheep claim, can anyone answer the following questions for me:

1 - Why did Matty Smith agree to leave Wigan? (Two years left on a his deal, plays every week and just won the Grand Final. Far better chance of success at Wigan.)
    2 - Why did Wigan agree to release Matty Smith (Does it not worry everyone else that they've done this? Are they going to announce some proper signings and make up look stupid?)
    3 - Is KC mentally ill or is it just the club's PR department working overtime to make him look a fool? (Claimed he wasn't on our radar, no need for smokescreens as not other club in SL would want Smith, claims that fans will be delighted with the signing)

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Smith is ideal for Saints. We are a club that talks the talk but never walks the walk anymore. We spin nonsense about signing x, y or z when everyone knows Smith is the one we're getting. He is a steady eddie scrum half, is dependable, can throw a three yard drop off pass with the best of them and on the last tackle can welly the ball like a star. Unfortunately he cannot break a line, cannot make a pass longer than 10 yards to his left, is a bog standard goal kicker and is the walking talking 6 or 7 out of 10 player every week. For some that's obviously fantastic, because he's no worse than the other average players we've had before him.

Smith being no worse than his predecessors doesn't make Smith a great signing, it makes Saints a club that aims low and consistently ends up with players who aren't good enough, with Smith the latest example. He'll do fine in Cunningham's system. He'll be an 'organiser', he'll 'lead us around the park' and 'allow others to take the limelight' and all the other buzz phrases that mean 'he's bloody average but won't do anything ridiculously bad'. We'll be no worse than this season in that respect, but as some of us have repeatedly said, the club see 2015 and 2016 as good seasons. They see 4th and a semi final as a good season, and the chairman and CEO see nothing wrong with Cunningham's coaching or style of play, so why would they oppose signing Smith? He is the poster boy for everything that we are looking for in a player right now.
    I don't want to say anymore about Smith now he's signed (or rather now the official announcement has been made). You're absolutely right about aiming low though. I am not excited by our prospects next season. I always hope to be proved wrong and hope our team will shine and that RL will become the exciting sport that the Eddie and Stevo spin tries to put on it. However, currently, my optimism seems to be in short supply.

Although the signing is totally expected it doesn't soften the disappointment. A player, deemed to be not good enough on two occasions to be our number 7, is now described by our head coach as a 'class scrum half' who we are 'delighted' to have signed! It's just a complete lack of ambition and follows the trend of signing players that are simply not of the calibre that our club should be signing, and we will be looking to offload after 2 years (eg Burns, Vea, Tasi all worrying KC signings).

After being a season ticket holder for over 35 years I am seriously considering not renewing such is my disillusionment with our style of play, lack of ambition and RL as a whole. My Dad, a season ticket holder since the 1950's has already decided enough is enough. I'd imagine the club is going to be in for a shock by season ticket sales come mid December.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I've exploded enough on Twitter about this so don't want to go into too much depth on my disappointment at this signing. But I will say this is a perfect representation of where this club is right now. Average is fine, middle of the road stability is the aim. Trophies are a bonus if one ever comes along, the club isn't what is was in the KR days, it doesn't care about success anymore. The lack of ambition is so grating, especially when you see the sheep trying to justify it. The only thing that MIGHT make this an average signing is if the quality of the rest of the league falls in line with our own decline, which is continuing at pace.

But to try and elevate the debate from whether it's the worst signing ever or amazing as the sheep claim, can anyone answer the following questions for me:

1 - Why did Matty Smith agree to leave Wigan? (Two years left on a his deal, plays every week and just won the Grand Final. Far better chance of success at Wigan.)
    2 - Why did Wigan agree to release Matty Smith (Does it not worry everyone else that they've done this? Are they going to announce some proper signings and make up look stupid?)
    3 - Is KC mentally ill or is it just the club's PR department working overtime to make him look a fool? (Claimed he wasn't on our radar, no need for smokescreens as not other club in SL would want Smith, claims that fans will be delighted with the signing)
    RL isnt what it was in them days.

Imagine if Wigan came out 2/3rds of the way through the season and said they have signed Percival? How would the fans react?

If they have made an agreement then all sets will have to keep it as quiet as possible.

Starting A Programme Collection Saint19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Great Day for RL View Post
    Imagine if Wigan came out 2/3rds of the way through the season and said they have signed Percival? How would the fans react?

If they have made an agreement then all sets will have to keep it as quiet as possible.
    You talk sense. The person I find myself agreeing with the most on here
    Not Arrogant. Just Better

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Crock of shit signing and anyone who says otherwise is delusional. We just signed a Wigan cast off, end of. It's another 'but he's my mate' signing and I think wanes chuckling at gullible Cunningham. A season tickets not on my radar.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
    Bye!

Lenagan states that Saints approach them earlier in the year. I wonder how earlier? Surely Saints have tried to scout out a replacement Walsh for a while now, but decided on Smith?

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I don't want to turn it personal against Matty he isn't a bad scrum half in my opinion but I am sick of the BS and self important waffle that comes out of KCs mouth, I loved the guy as a player but I've got little time for him thesedays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Lenagan states that Saints approach them earlier in the year. I wonder how earlier? Surely Saints have tried to scout out a replacement Walsh for a while now, but decided on Smith?
    who else would they have been able to get? Marshall was a no go as was Thurston!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by wrexhamsaint View Post
    Bye!
    The problem is, the club may actually be saying bye to a lot of fans. I'll see you next year but I'm not currently overly confident about the season to come.

Got A Season Ticket

Why would he come out and say he wants Smith when Smith is still playing for Wigan and has a chance to win SL with them?

Do you think Saints should tell you every time they speak to a player about signing, or who they want to sign?
    Like I said, when speaking to the media there are ways of answering a question without actually telling lies

This is claimed but other than Roby/Graham when was the last time we produced a top international? Saints seem to produce journey men but i don't want to get into that.

I didnt state Lomax or Percival were top internationals.

You have edited my comment for some reason to, do you work for the media by any chance?
    Apologies - it was a bit of tongue in cheek mischief owing to having mis-interpreted your original comment. I'm probably a tad over-sensitive owing to the volume of nonsense posted on here over the last 8 months or so - this isn't aimed at you by the way.

Starting A Programme Collection Saint19's Avatar

I'm pretty confident and i'm renewing my season ticket in a few days.

A fully fit Lomax
    A fully fit Makinson
    A fully fit Percival
    All from the off.
    A Roby who's having an off season rest.
    Along with 3 new good signings (so far)

I'm looking forward to next year.
    Not Arrogant. Just Better

Quote Originally Posted by Saint19 View Post
    I'm pretty confident and i'm renewing my season ticket in a few days.

A fully fit Lomax
    A fully fit Makinson
    A fully fit Percival
    All from the off.
    A Roby who's having an off season rest.
    Along with 3 new good signings (so far)

I'm looking forward to next year.
    Get your hard hat on, mate.

Got A Replica Shirt saint at wire's Avatar

This is true, but it doesn't justify the signing of Smith who is bang average and as people have said, was considered at least twice before as not good enough by our Club.

I think I know what I've missed though, it's in the press release:

At Wigan, Matty continued his development as one of the top 7s in the British game
    Basically we should be thanking wigan for polishing a turd for us.

However, it's still a ........

The reason for the media shambles is that the club were and are aware of how unpopular this is and it is clear
    that KC does not care and hence takes little care in how he articulates himself.

"Matty Smith is under contract to Wigan, we are considering a range of options at half back for next year"

That's all he needed to say.

The media team are amateur. KC just doesn't care , in fact his comments
    throughout the season would suggest somebody who trapped in his own ego bubble
    who actually has no respect for the fans and actually enjoys winding them up.
    He's not that stupid , so his words are a conscious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

1. no brainer for him, he'll be first choice as long as the coaching staff and CEO is made up of the jobs for the boys brigade and a 4 year deal
    2. because they realised he isn't good enough
    3. usual patronising club spin, "Matty is in that number who won't be far off next year" etc
    Last edited by Dunderhead; 11th October 2016 at 17:09.

Quote Originally Posted by saint at wire View Post
    This is true, but it doesn't justify the signing of Smith who is bang average and as people have said, was considered at least twice before as not good enough by our Club.

I think I know what I've missed though, it's in the press release:

Basically we should be thanking wigan for polishing a turd for us.

However, it's still a ........
    In my opinion he is a solid signing but a lot of people state he is average, who else is there to bring in?

He has played at saints before, knows their style of play and will be a good signing this year.

who else would they have been able to get? Marshall was a no go as was Thurston!
    But as Lenegan confirms we approached Smith ages ago. The only two half backs we seem to have been seriously in for were Smith and Brown, the same two players that the club have been after since KC took charge.