Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4142021222324

Thread: Matty smith signs

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Smith isn't good enough for Saints and isn't what we need at half back. In the same vein that people keep saying we should stop criticising are those that keep saying we should blindly support him and support his signature just because he is a saints player - in my opinion that is the reason why the club continues to take fans opinions for granted. We may have a bit of a moan but we will still turn up and pay our money. I'm sorry to say but I am firmly in the camp that has lost all respect for the club I have supported for 30 years. I don't make that claim lightly and have been willing KC and Rushy to step up to the plate and deliver with our 2017 signings and to be fair, it's been a mixed bag. Signing smith and lee has negated any positive spin they could have put on Douglas, Morgan and Walker. They have recognised the teams shortfalls and got rid of some dead wood, we still have some way to go but I firmly believe Smith signing for us has set us back years in terms of getting back to where we need to be in terms of entertainment on the field.

As I understand it, even some of the players aren't sold and one of our outgoing players said he was the worst scrum half he's ever played against. I just don't understand the disconnect between club and fans, it started with the discontent over the grind and took a downward turn after Eamons tubthumping comment, I really do think they have a a big PR job to do to get the fans genuinely back on side. I just don't know if the egos are willing.

Brilliant post

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post
    That was a funny when Frank Carson said it in the 70's

I was referring to Matty Smith's performance in the last Kiwi test were he played a pivotal role in the victory as opposed to the invisible display from Gale.

Against New Zealand's third team. But yes he did play well that day. He is better in poor weather

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    You get to wear the badge today...

Oh WOW thanks, do i collect it in person or will you deliver it? I feel honoured that you think of me in that way!

Or maybe you could just try to see why the club has done what it has done, irrelevant if you agree or not. Both Smith & Lee are signings that appear to be function over flair, but in the roles that they play that isn't a necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Oh WOW thanks, do i collect it in person or will you deliver it? I feel honoured that you think of me in that way!

Or maybe you could just try to see why the club has done what it has done, irrelevant if you agree or not. Both Smith & Lee are signings that appear to be function over flair, but in the roles that they play that isn't a necessarily a bad thing.

Lee will certainly keep the medical team 'functioning'

Got A Season Ticket

This really is a boring thread now

In The South Stand

Here, Here.

Starting A Programme Collection SodIt the Hedgehog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Lee will certainly keep the medical team 'functioning'
    Just to play devil's advocate, will he keep them as functional as Makinson and Lomax have over the last season or two?

I'm not as bothered by the fitness concerns as the ability concerns. I feel about as excited as I did when we signed Stuart Howarth and Gareth O'Brien. I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised if he's alright, but I'm expecting nothing and I've probably been as excited about weeding the garden as I am about watching Lee play.

Smith I expect a bit more from - we'll have to see if this is a case of Cunningham replacing the scrum half he inherited from the previous coach with one he's picked himself, straight off the radar. If so, will Smith's organisational approach allow Fages to play with a bit more freedom?

Maybe I'm being optimistic, I don't know...I'll get behind him and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SodIt the Hedgehog View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, will he keep them as functional as Makinson and Lomax have over the last season or two?

I'm not as bothered by the fitness concerns as the ability concerns. I feel about as excited as I did when we signed Stuart Howarth and Gareth O'Brien. I reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised if he's alright, but I'm expecting nothing and I've probably been as excited about weeding the garden as I am about watching Lee play.

Smith I expect a bit more from - we'll have to see if this is a case of Cunningham replacing the scrum half he inherited from the previous coach with one he's picked himself, straight off the radar. If so, will Smith's organisational approach allow Fages to play with a bit more freedom?

Maybe I'm being optimistic, I don't know...I'll get behind him and see what happens.

Well you've made a very good point there mate. I just think Makinson and Lomax have something about them and they are worth sticking with, despite their injury problems.

I think on reflection that's a good way to look at it, I'll certainly support them as well when they are playing for Saints. Just a bit underwhelmed and I've resorted to taking the micky a bit.

I'm probably going to get hammered for this, I'm really not sure about Fages but he needs to be playing week in week out to get some consistency. Wait & see.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Well you've made a very good point there mate. I just think Makinson and Lomax have something about them and they are worth sticking with, despite their injury problems.

I think on reflection that's a good way to look at it, I'll certainly support them as well when they are playing for Saints. Just a bit underwhelmed and I've resorted to taking the micky a bit.

I'm probably going to get hammered for this, I'm really not sure about Fages but he needs to be playing week in week out to get some consistency. Wait & see.
    Fages shows flashes and that's about it, although the way he was messed about last year can't of helped. I think we'll be in a better position in a years time to judge.

Starting A Programme Collection SodIt the Hedgehog's Avatar

If Smith is being billed as this 'organisational half back' then it could free young Nigel Fages up to run around a bit. I think the dream scenario would be the old Martyn and young Long setup with one slower, more experienced head and one younger, faster, more instinctive player.

...'dream' being the operative word there because Tommy Martyn basically had magical powers and Long was mercurial. Style-wise though you can only hope.

In The South Stand

If Smith is being billed as this 'organisational half back' then it could free young Nigel Fages up to run around a bit. I think the dream scenario would be the old Martyn and young Long setup with one slower, more experienced head and one younger, faster, more instinctive player.

...'dream' being the operative word there because Tommy Martyn basically had magical powers and Long was mercurial. Style-wise though you can only hope.
    Is Nigel Fages any faster than Theo Fages? Theo isn't quick for a back, he's not got anywhere near the pace of Long.

Banned

I think he means Nigel Farage he is more of a right winger though and not very popular in the Polish Republic of Parr. That would be no good for the Saints PR machine.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

The dream is to have both halves with a threatening running game, and Saints had this with Martyn and Long and then Price and Long after that. I don't think its any coincidence that they have struggled to win silverware since. No doubt losing Kyle Eastmond didn't help, but that was years ago now and Saints have had lots of opportunities to address this. The team that then took on this mantle, was of course the Leeds Rhinos who had the speed of Burrow & McGuire and Brent Webb chiming in to the line from full back. Explosive speed is very difficult to defend against.

This is why it surprises me that having moved Jordan Turner into the halves last season to give more threat running the ball through the middle of the field, it seems Cunningham is now going for a Smith & Fages combination. Even if Walsh had stayed, St Helens should have been looking for him a new partner, and Fages should've been putting pressure on Walsh for the '7' jersey. A 1 year deal to keep Luke Walsh would have been a lot better than a 4 year deal for Matty Smith. Walsh was no speedster, but he has a better passing, short and long kicking game than Smith, as well as being a better goal kicker. He even threatens the line more too.

Saints should be looking for a partner for Matty Smith.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    The dream is to have both halves with a threatening running game, and Saints had this with Martyn and Long and then Price and Long after that. I don't think its any coincidence that they have struggled to win silverware since. No doubt losing Kyle Eastmond didn't help, but that was years ago now and Saints have had lots of opportunities to address this. The team that then took on this mantle, was of course the Leeds Rhinos who had the speed of Burrow & McGuire and Brent Webb chiming in to the line from full back. Explosive speed is very difficult to defend against.

This is why it surprises me that having moved Jordan Turner into the halves last season to give more threat running the ball through the middle of the field, it seems Cunningham is now going for a Smith & Fages combination. Even if Walsh had stayed, St Helens should have been looking for him a new partner, and Fages should've been putting pressure on Walsh for the '7' jersey. A 1 year deal to keep Luke Walsh would have been a lot better than a 4 year deal for Matty Smith. Walsh was no speedster, but he has a better passing, short and long kicking game than Smith, as well as being a better goal kicker. He even threatens the line more too.

Saints should be looking for a partner for Matty Smith.

Regards,

STEVO
    Your telling lies, Luke Walsh never threatened the line

Learning All The Songs

Matty Smith wont be Saints goal kicker.

Got A Season Ticket

I can see Fages getting a lot of stick next year A) as he's a young lad and will still be inconsistent for a couple of years you'd imagine and with Smith as first receiver with no running threat, a lot of our attacking flair will rest on Fages' shoulders as Wigan's did with Williams last year and this saw them struggle in attack unless Williams did something.

In limited games last year though, Fages racked up 8 tries and 13 assists which is pretty good in comparison to other HB's when you take into account games played. I just hope he can build on that next season as we'll need him to in order to score points.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post

In limited games last year though, Fages racked up 8 tries and 13 assists which is pretty good in comparison to other HB's when you take into account games played. I just hope he can build on that next season as we'll need him to in order to score points.
    That's 3 try's and 4 assists more than Smith managed in 12 games less...

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    That's 3 try's and 4 assists more than Smith managed in 12 games less...
    They are good numbers aren't they. Over the course of the season he'd have been on similar if not bettered Williams' tries and assists if he carried those type of numbers on. Hopefully more of the same next year. Just a lot of pressure on him to produce with Smith you'd imagine not creating too much.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    No it will be Mark Percival or when injured the young billy slater on the wing who steps in to replace him...

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    No it will be Mark Percival or when injured the young billy slater on the wing who steps in to replace him...
    We've signed Greg Eden?

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Let's hope so, He's a Saints player now so he has my support BUT if he does become our first choice kicker then it just sums up our coaches and tactics, he is by far the worst 1st choice kicker in SL.