Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891525 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Nations

Learning All The Songs

As good as Stevie Ward was in 2015, there's no way he should be getting a call up to the squad. He's played 4 games all season and I think they were in the middle 8s.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Squad vs France:
    Brown, G Burgess, T Burgess, Clark, Cooper, Farrell, Gale, Graham, Hall, Hodgson, Lomax, McGilvary, Percival, Ratchford, Taylor, Ward, Watkins, Whitehead, Widdop

Based on that squad I'd have Ratchford and Brown missing out:
    Lomax
    Hall
    Percival
    Watkins
    McGilvary
    Widdop
    Gale
    Graham
    Hodgson
    G Burgess
    Whitehead
    Farrell
    Ward

Clark
    T Burgess
    Cooper
    Taylor
    Last edited by The Wee Waa Womble; 20th October 2016 at 14:59.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Squad vs France:
    Brown, G Burgess, T Burgess, Clark, Cooper, Farrell, Gale, Graham, Hall, Hodgson, Lomax, McGilvary, Percival, Ratchford, Taylor, Ward, Watkins, Whitehead, Widdop

Based on that squad I'd have Ratchford and Brown missing out:
    Lomax
    Hall
    Percival
    Watkins
    McGilvary
    Widdop
    Gale
    Graham
    Hodgson
    G Burgess
    Whitehead
    Farrell
    Ward

Clark
    T Burgess
    Cooper
    Taylor
    I'd probably go with the same but didn't Bennett say the 1 wire/wigan player will be on the bench and is likely not to get used at all if possible in regards to starting Farrell?

Learning All The Songs

That team will change when we play the Kiwis. He's giving Taylor, Cooper and Ward some game time to see how they perform.

Quote Originally Posted by geordie_saint View Post
    That team will change when we play the Kiwis. He's giving Taylor, Cooper and Ward some game time to see how they perform.
    Yes you'd expect Bateman, S Burgess, Williams and Hill to come in. Probably for Taylor, Ward, Gale and Cooper. It's a fairly strong squad though, you'd expect a cricket score against France.

Got A Season Ticket

I'd go with Brown instead of Widdop - we need 2 kickers. Bateman Sam Burgess and Hill to come back for Ward, Cooper and George Burgess

Quote Originally Posted by st.david View Post
    I'd go with Brown instead of Widdop - we need 2 kickers. Bateman Sam Burgess and Hill to come back for Ward, Cooper and George Burgess
    I'd go with Gale over Widdop for this game and the tests but I think it's highly unlikely that Widdop won't get a starting berth alongside Williams.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

The RFL are advertising well in London and hopefully a few locals may give it a whirl with no PL football that weekend.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Lucky fella!! Did they win?? And in your opinion when and why did things swing the Australians way????? They've had the upper hand on us for a while now.
    I go back way before that. As a boy my father [ex Oldham] took me to watch the 1948 Aussies get beaten at Station Road, Swinton's old ground. I think we won the other two tests that year, one of which was at Headingley. I also saw Belle Vue Rangers give them a close game in Manchester; I remember that Clive Churchill was their full back. In those days Great Britain were expected to beat them on home soil.

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geordie_saint View Post
    But why not Brown to see how he performs.

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

Got my ticket today for the double header at Coventry. taking my oldest grandson RICO for his first Proper rugby match. Rugby League.

Dull affair with France not really threatening other than one dart from dummy half. If England had been a bit more clinical it could have been 60 rather than 40. Good work out for the team though. Percival didn't get a lot of ball but Lomax had a good game at full back.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Dull affair with France not really threatening other than one dart from dummy half. If England had been a bit more clinical it could have been 60 rather than 40. Good work out for the team though. Percival didn't get a lot of ball but Lomax had a good game at full back.
    Probably a fair assessment really, disappointed again with Widdop his kicking game was dreadful, to be honest as someone who never watches the NRL, I don't think I've ever saw him have a decent game for England.

Thought Lomax was probably the stand out today, certainly performed better than Ratchford there.

Looked like it absolutely lashed it down which wouldn't have helped the quality of the game

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Probably a fair assessment really, disappointed again with Widdop his kicking game was dreadful, to be honest as someone who never watches the NRL, I don't think I've ever saw him have a decent game for England.

Thought Lomax was probably the stand out today, certainly performed better than Ratchford there.

Looked like it absolutely lashed it down which wouldn't have helped the quality of the game
    Widdop has has a poor year

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I thought Cooper was disappointing as well. 2 NRL players who have got in because of the league they play in. I'd have Farrell and Bateman in the team ahead of Cooper and Gale ahead of Widdop next week.

Banned

I thought Cooper was disappointing as well. 2 NRL players who have got in because of the league they play in. I'd have Farrell and Bateman in the team ahead of Cooper and Gale ahead of Widdop next week.
    Fair. Im not sure what the attraction is to Widdop but Ive yet to see him really impose himself at international level and I think he's overated. Surely there are options around that will be pressing him for a place.

I thought England were moderate for the first 20. They looked unimaginative and a little predictable with the ball, they will need to improve on that as the games against NZ and AUS could be lost there and then.

I thought Percival put some good hits in defense that seemed to go unoticed and ran hard. I really hope he gets a chance in the big games as he is a genuine talent who doesnt need to rely solely on physicality and bulk, hes a touch of Darren Wright in how he plays. Lomax was good enough at full back. As i say England were disjointed at times, but maybe they needed the run out.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Lashed it down , and how many dropped balls were there = very few.

roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Fair. Im not sure what the attraction is to Widdop but Ive yet to see him really impose himself at international level and I think he's overated. Surely there are options around that will be pressing him for a place.

I thought England were moderate for the first 20. They looked unimaginative and a little predictable with the ball, they will need to improve on that as the games against NZ and AUS could be lost there and then.

I thought Percival put some good hits in defense that seemed to go unoticed and ran hard. I really hope he gets a chance in the big games as he is a genuine talent who doesnt need to rely solely on physicality and bulk, hes a touch of Darren Wright in how he plays. Lomax was good enough at full back. As i say England were disjointed at times, but maybe they needed the run out.
    I tend to agree, no ball, hard yards

Imagine if he turned out to be as good as Darren Wright tho!!!

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

You have to give a lot of credit to Josh Hodgson, he really has taken his game to another level and playing in the NRL has improved him no end. I like how Bennett is using him, like Ricky Stuart does at Canberra, by shifting him to 13 to allow Daryl Clark to come in and quicken up dummy half. Hodgson can get a bit of a break, but yet remain on the field and still offer a threat.

Keiron Cunningham take note, this should be the plan for St Helens and James Roby. The trouble is, I'm not so sure Tommy Lee is the 2nd hooker to do the interchange role. Doesn't have the speed. Lee to start? Not for mine, Roby needs to do most of the minutes, because he's a far better player.

Regards,

STEVO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    You have to give a lot of credit to Josh Hodgson, he really has taken his game to another level and playing in the NRL has improved him no end. I like how Bennett is using him, like Ricky Stuart does at Canberra, by shifting him to 13 to allow Daryl Clark to come in and quicken up dummy half. Hodgson can get a bit of a break, but yet remain on the field and still offer a threat.

Keiron Cunningham take note, this should be the plan for St Helens and James Roby. The trouble is, I'm not so sure Tommy Lee is the 2nd hooker to do the interchange role. Doesn't have the speed. Lee to start? Not for mine, Roby needs to do most of the minutes, because he's a far better player.

Regards,

STEVO

So what's the point in saying it in the first place then? Cunningham should do this but Tommy Lee isn't good enough to do it? Another gem

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post

Regards,

STEVO
    Starting the game doesn't necessarily mean doing loads of minutes. He could do 20 and then Robes could be on for the rest of the game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    So what's the point in saying it in the first place then? Cunningham should do this but Tommy Lee isn't good enough to do it? Another gem
    Standard Stevo Waffle

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Starting the game doesn't necessarily mean doing loads of minutes. He could do 20 and then Robes could be on for the rest of the game.
    That's a possibility Dux, and Cunningham has used this tactic once or twice before with Travis Burns last season I recall. For mine though, I think Saints have missed a trick with the 2nd hooker they've gone for as I say, but it will be very interesting to see how Tommy Lee is used by St Helens.

You have a good understand and knowledge of the game, Rolf & drivel920? I'm not so sure, both have had a shocker as far as I'm concerned.

Regards,

STEVO
    Last edited by Mike Stephenson; 24th October 2016 at 23:14.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

By gum lad, 'tis retirement a bit quiet?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Tommy Lee makes a good brew and is training on the coffee machines so he will be of some use. He's no Danny Houghton but we should give him a chance although I suspect he will spend most of the time on the physio's bench.
    Learned comment from The Don