Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: No more sky sports

Banned
    KC. Be so kind and take Owens with you when you leave. That's a good chap.

Default No more sky sports

A lot only pay for the rugby, I suspect a lot will not be subscribing next year.

This year was the least amount of rugby I've watched. I've tried to introduce the sport to people in America and as good as the sport is, the corruption is so obvious it can't be taken serious.

The refs weren't even trying to hide the match fixing on Thursday.

I would happily follow an English team in nrl and starting to think mr cashkow might be on to something. Get the best players out of this tin pan competition.

Got A Season Ticket

Very good points made... I'd be all for an English NRL team ala the way we now have Canadian and would happily support that over this catastrophe of a competition we have at present. My concern is that I enjoy the sport and so the way sky has monopolised the game essentially has made my mind up to subscribing over the years. That said this can't continue and im also considering cancelling my sky sports... I will also wait till February to do this as I enjoy the darts/football and will be doing it to make a point. To sky my money is irrelevant ... Deck chair off the titanic so to speak however it will make me feel better knowing I don't listen to that toss! My money will be spent between premier sports and the extra few away games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

I subscribe to Sky Sports simply because of RL. I do tend to watch a lot of games but I may cancel when my fixed term is up. It isn't really good value for those of us who only watch RL.

Learning All The Songs

Never had sky sports always thought about it but certainly wont bother now .

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Onetimepost View Post
    A lot only pay for the rugby, I suspect a lot will not be subscribing next year.

This year was the least amount of rugby I've watched. I've tried to introduce the sport to people in America and as good as the sport is, the corruption is so obvious it can't be taken serious.

The refs weren't even trying to hide the match fixing on Thursday.

I would happily follow an English team in nrl and starting to think mr cashkow might be on to something. Get the best players out of this tin pan competition.
    Onetimepost with another post on he's second thread....... I smell s h i t e !

Got A Season Ticket

I think the problem is the presenters and pundits and there perceived bias lets say to certain teams and certain players. How many ex Wigan players should one channel have, Carney, McDermott, Clarke, OConnor and then we have Eddie and Stevo going on about Tomkins and then there was the Flower episode making out he was some kind of returning hero.

The only one I don't mind is Wells but the rest should be replaced. If you watch the presenters and pundits on the football such as Carragher, Henry, Souness, Neville etc you soon realise just how presenters and pundits should be impartial regardless of which team they support or used to play for and Sky need to look at this regarding there coverage of RL.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paraman View Post
    I think the problem is the presenters and pundits and there perceived bias lets say to certain teams and certain players. How many ex Wigan players should one channel have, Carney, McDermott, Clarke, OConnor and then we have Eddie and Stevo going on about Tomkins and then there was the Flower episode making out he was some kind of returning hero.

The only one I don't mind is Wells but the rest should be replaced. If you watch the presenters and pundits on the football such as Carragher, Henry, Souness, Neville etc you soon realise just how presenters and pundits should be impartial regardless of which team they support or used to play for and Sky need to look at this regarding there coverage of RL.
    I'm pretty sure that Sky and other media outlets check out forums such as this. Their news coverage suggests that is the case. Last night one of the presenters even emphasised that the video ref is in a soundproof booth and can't hear the crowd or anything else. It suggests that they were well aware of the anger and views expressed on here about Thursday night's officiating. If they know our views, they have done nothing in recent years to change their personnel and I don't think they will. As indicated, I suspect that they are well aware of our views and care nothing for them. By us, I mean RL fans generally not just Saints' fans.

What got me particularly annoyed this season was the fact that Walsh and Thompson got two match bans largely due to Sky and particularly Carney drawing attention to and exaggerating the incidents.

At this stage, I'm not sure whether Thursday's appallingly bad officiating was conspiracy or the other. I hope it was simply down to incompetence because I don't like to think I'm watching games that are manipulated in some way. Despite the money, however, I feel that the relationship between just one broadcaster and the RFL is unhealthy and I strongly suspect that the format and some of the laws are dictated by Sky. It is a pity that our sport isn't apparently attractive to other broadcasters; I understand that the RFL needs the money and that he who pays the piper calls the tune. However, it doesn't mean I have to hand over my cash to the person paying the piper.

Sky Sport is simply not value for money if you watch only RL.

Got A Season Ticket

McDermott and O'Connor are fine on their own, but together they are forced into this Abbot & Costello double act by Sky.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I love sport in general so Sky is certainly worth it for me.

There's only so many people who want to go into the media though, there's only so many ex players/coaches they can pick from. Stevo is still calling the game in the era he played in, he hasn't moved with the times. I don't mind Carney on the whole, Clarke is too biased, Wells tries to criticise players who are 10 times better than he was and attempts to make himself look decent by over analysing the obvious. McDermott is alright and O'Connor is too repetitive IMO.

As I say though, there are only so many players they can pick from to go into that field. Tony Rae is probably the best of the lot when he's there but isn't on as frequently as he was years ago.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I love sport in general so Sky is certainly worth it for me.

There's only so many people who want to go into the media though, there's only so many ex players/coaches they can pick from. Stevo is still calling the game in the era he played in, he hasn't moved with the times. I don't mind Carney on the whole, Clarke is too biased, Wells tries to criticise players who are 10 times better than he was and attempts to make himself look decent by over analysing the obvious. McDermott is alright and O'Connor is too repetitive IMO.

I understand what you are saying but there has to be other ex players who they could approach or do they have to of played for Wigan to be in contention for the job. Skys whole coverage of RL is very amateurish.

As I say though, there are only so many players they can pick from to go into that field. Tony Rae is probably the best of the lot when he's there but isn't on as frequently as he was years ago.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WBFOP View Post
    McDermott and O'Connor are fine on their own, but together they are forced into this Abbot & Costello double act by Sky.
    I think they both speak OK as individual analysts, but the Mutt and Jeff act is really childish and an insult to fans.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

This season, we bought the NOW tv box with a free month Sky Sports pass, this was for the super 8,s and will be cancelling next Sunday.
    The standard of super league over the season is just not good value for money.

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    This season, we bought the NOW tv box with a free month Sky Sports pass, this was for the super 8,s and will be cancelling next Sunday.
    The standard of super league over the season is just not good value for money.
    Did you not just watch the Hull KR Salford game? Was that not value for money???

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voll au Vent View Post
    Did you not just watch the Hull KR Salford game? Was that not value for money???
    Only saw the last 30 mins which was good along with a few games in the 8's. Prior to that quite a lot of games have been dire affairs. As for the Saints showings I can only recall about 2 games where we have played well for more than 60 mins.

I switched away from Sky a couple of months ago. I saved over £60 per month. There are loads of deals out there! My new provider bundle even lets me watch Sky Sports, without handing my cash over to them. Then downside is that I will now need to switch every year to keep getting a cheap deal.

Learning All The Songs

Just cancelled Sky Sports due to needing to save some money.

Got A Season Ticket Big Kev Iro's Avatar

Totally agree with your comments Jon Wells and Tony Rea bring an honest and up to date commentary which some of the Wigooners can comprehend never mind emulate! At least Stevo has finished thank the lord!

Got A Season Ticket Big Kev Iro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I think they both speak OK as individual analysts, but the Mutt and Jeff act is really childish and an insult to fans.
    The new version of Stevo and Eddie? Which one is Stevo as both are repetitive and mundane with their "comments".

If your not a Wigooner your don't get a job at Sky RL

I haven't subscribed to Sky for some years now. I just pay for Now tv sports pass (£6.99 for 24 hours) or if it@s a Friday game followed by a Thursday game, a week pass for £10.99. That way I feel in control