Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Halfbacks

Default Halfbacks

Well what do we do now? Our 6 and 7 positions need to be sorted out for next year and beyond, but who is going to be?
    I feel that until we get these two key players sorted out and bedded in, we are going to be in the same boat again next season.

Got A Season Ticket

Fages and Smith with Richardson and Wilkin as back up it will be I think.

See the Matty Smith thread.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I have no issue with Fages playing first choice next year. The run in which he had in the halves he showed he had class and great potential.

Sounds like we've signed Smith to partner him which I do have a problem with as he's useless for me.

Learning All The Songs

Richardson looks a good prospect hopefully he can make the step up from under 19s to the full team .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Think smith has been signed to 'steady the ship' for the next few years as Richardson, Billsborough and Fages are brought on.

I've no issues with the smith contract (although I have concerns about the length of the deal) because nobody has come up with a viable alternative. Soward regularly gets a mention, but he's 32 in November, picks up injuries, and will decide at the drop of a hat "I'm off" [post will self destruct if we announce we've signed him]

Fages and Smith for me

Learning All The Songs

Must admit I've never been a fan of Walsh and I can count on one hand how many good games I've seen Turner have at 6.both got outplayed last night Imo by young lad with little experience. I'm honestly not bothered about them both going.just my opinion though.

Learning All The Songs

Unless we have a halfback who can take charge like Gidley last night we'll win nothing again next year?

If Kieron thinks Matty Smith is the answer he needs to go now

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I wouldn't worry about it whoever plays 6+7 will have KCs rigid bore plan that they'll have to adhere to.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Danny Richardson looked really classy in the Academy final last weekend. Was skilful, creative, an organiser and good kicker, pretty much everything we're looking for. He's just turned 20 so not too young, hopefully he'll get some game time next year (but not with Wilkin at 7 because Fages and Smith are injured!).
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

I think half back roles especially 7 is showing like props that players get to their peak of game management, vision, flair as they get to their late 20's, Early 30's. Gone are the days with 17 year old Murphy or 19 year old Goulding playing scrum half for title winning clubs. This may be down to lack of game time they get at a young age. It is very rare now we see a starting 7 running round super league aged 20/21/22. If they do play at that age then its due to Injury to senior players rather than form. Lomax/Gaskell were the last ones who forced their way into the team and stayed in for the season through form.

Brough, Gale, Brown and even Sneyd who have been mentioned as our best british half backs, They all did the rounds at a couple of clubs learning their trade getting first team action before they've produced the kinds of performances worth dictating a team.

Richardson and Fages need as much game time as possible if they are to be our 6 and 7 around 2018/2019. Get Richardson out to a championship club on a month to month basis so we can recall him if injuries. This way he is playing quality rugby league at all times.

Learning All The Songs

I still think we need 2 more half backs looks like smith and 1 other but i dont necessarily think danny richardsons too young . How olds Declan Patten and he"s not doing a bad job at wankey . Think we need a bit of strength of depth at half back without playing wilkin there .

I'd just stick another two forwards at 6 & 7 as it's not like we play any rugby anyway

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Danny Richardson looked really classy in the Academy final last weekend. Was skilful, creative, an organiser and good kicker, pretty much everything we're looking for.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be what Cunningham wants, which is simple balls to a set plan (which includes far too many instances of the predictable-inside-drop-off-pass)

Starting A Programme Collection

people pan smith but walsh was useless yday, he never made 1 attempt to break the line let alone do it and as for that 6th tackle play that led to their last try

imo hes been a bottle merchant since his injury smith wont do any worse than him

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I'd just stick another two forwards at 6 & 7 as it's not like we play any rugby anyway
    You're right we should sign Flanagan back and play him and Wilkin, any decent half back will just be stifled.