Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rugby League. Corrupt or incompetent???

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I know. It's the only time EVER I have felt this way. I always want Warrington to beat them, but last night has been the last straw. So I won;t say I want the Pies to win, but I'd prefer Warrington to lose!
    And that about sums if up for me too
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    And that about sums if up for me too
    Actually looking forward to the off season for the first time ever! Hoping a good break will renew some interest once Christmas is over and we actually play some decent rugby next year.

Got A Season Ticket

Morgan Knowles turnover in first half: Thaler doesn't call 5th tackle, just says 'tackle' as if to confirm player should play the ball. Perhaps he made a quick visual signal but very unusual nonetheless.

Warrington #31 turnover in second half: Thaler calls last tackle and then screams 'last' repeatedly as player runs forward with the ball, something i've only heard before when there is doubt as to whether it's a fresh set of six or not.

I picked up the first when i rewound the game when watching live to see why Knowles had ran it on the last; second was then very obvious to me.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

Surely it was Bill Arthur, not Woods?

Also, if the games were the other way round, does anyone think we'd have been subjected to 39 looks with Peyroux and Lineham off the back of the first semi?

Gelling maybe shouldn't have swore, but he was absolutely spot on with the comment. Thaler was almost looking for a reason to NOT give the Hull try, yet every time and angle he looked at, it was plainly obvious to anyone watching that he got enough to have it given. I thought it was a try when it happened and couldn't believe Hicks played on.

I wonder if they'll clarify the VR ruling though for next year, Cummings seemed to infer that referring 2 decisions wasn't exactly in the rule book. Also, will this affect players who play next year? If as it stands, a player is tackled after a no try before referral, how many will go to ground to take the tackle to rule out a VR decision?
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I thought Thaler had a stinker, but the decisions to look at the Percival high tackle and the Lomax potential knock on were surely not his. He doesn't see them or he'd give them, so someone obviously gets in his ear about them, although that same person decided not to do the same for the Lineham try. Also, Thaler could have easily said that Peyroux was short and just ordered the play the ball. By going to the screen he is taking alot of the influence he has out of the decision. So, Thaler totally crap but nothing else. The rest of it leaves a real sour taste though, because someone not on the field has played a crucial role in the game.
    The thing I find most perplexing after the Peyroux no try was restarting 10m out with a PTB .
    That suggests the video ref says he was held up over the line which is utter rubbish. What you can see is the ball on the ground(to most people watching on the line) but not Cobb

I wonder what the betting is for Thaler as ref for the Grand Final?

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Someone reminded me yesterday that's 2 GF's on the bounce we should have been in, remember that dodgy Ryan hall try. I thought this conspiracy/corruption thought sounded a bit far fetched at first but last year wouldn't we have spoiled a perfect send off for King Kev, Peacock and Leuluai wasn't that just written in the stars or engineered in the corridors of Red Hall more like...

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

That dodgy Hall try was overturned by the VR, Hicks sent it up as a try despite it being impossible for him to see anything.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    I wonder what the betting is for Thaler as ref for the Grand Final?

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk
    On that show on Thursday, and his overlong deliberation yesterday showing his state of mind, I would say he has no chance. Don't start me with Cobb.

Got A Season Ticket

The issue I have with Michael's try is that anywhere else on the pitch that's a knock on and I've said this for years. But because it's behind the try line downward pressure and a fingernail to be fair is all that is required? Give me a break. No wonder nobody takes our game totally seriously, my RU supporting mate laughs when I tell him the referees are from the same town/city as one of the teams playing, the whole competition is a joke.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Thaler is responsible for everything from global warming to shooting JR Ewing

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WBFOP View Post
    The issue I have with Michael's try is that anywhere else on the pitch that's a knock on and I've said this for years. But because it's behind the try line downward pressure and a fingernail to be fair is all that is required? Give me a break. No wonder nobody takes our game totally seriously, my RU supporting mate laughs when I tell him the referees are from the same town/city as one of the teams playing, the whole competition is a joke.
    If you think about it, though, most put-downs would be classed as knock ons if they happened in general play.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WBFOP View Post
    Although I was hoping for a Hull win at that point, I agree with you on the knock on point. That would have been a knock on when I was a kid but it appears the modern interpretation is that it's a try.

At the risk of annoying some, should Red Hall ask Rugby Union for advice on training referees and on the use of the video ref? Should refs be paid more to attract more and better candidates? Do RU fans on this site feel that RU officiating is better at a professional level?

WARNING! PIE EATER!

By the modern rules it was try, whether it should be is open for discussion as there was no control. The Ryan Hall v Australia try for England a couple of years ago was turned down and identical.

At the game last night a few of us commented on Hicks performance in that at the Wire v Wigan game a couple of weeks ago he penalised anything and everything around the ptb. Last night he didn't. Is it any wonder players and coaches get frustrated when the same ref referees a game so differently in the space of two weeks?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    By the modern rules it was try, whether it should be is open for discussion as there was no control. The Ryan Hall v Australia try for England a couple of years ago was turned down and identical.

At the game last night a few of us commented on Hicks performance in that at the Wire v Wigan game a couple of weeks ago he penalised anything and everything around the ptb. Last night he didn't. Is it any wonder players and coaches get frustrated when the same ref referees a game so differently in the space of two weeks?
    I thought the Michaels had more pressure on the ball last night than what Ryan Hall did in the 4 nations match. If you watch the slo mo, and you only really have to watch it once , when Micheals touches the ball it imparts backspin onto it and the ball turns back towards him. Having said that , like you say under the present 'rules' the Hall 'try' should also have stood. I'm beginning to think that we should bin the video ref unless its regulated properly. In the old days if the ref was bent then that that was that. In todays game you don't know who is responsible for the decisions half the time and that just causes animosity and accusations of corruption. And with all the inconsistencies with interpretaions of rules and the judiciary panel it just makes the game look ridiculous. Someone said that rugby league is a simple game but theyre overcomplicating everything to try to create more interest. The saying goes 'you can only fool some of the people some of the time.....' Well if last nights attendance of 10,000 at Wigan is anything to go by it looks like its coming to fruition!