Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: "Worst Team to Ever Win Super League"

Got A Season Ticket

Default "Worst Team to Ever Win Super League"

Seeing as Wigan have so many injuries and generally a very, very ordinary side, is there the possibility that if they win it all they could take that accolade?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saint88 View Post
    Seeing as Wigan have so many injuries and generally a very, very ordinary side, is there the possibility that if they win it all they could take that accolade?

They'd be beating our own 2014 side (with Flash as a halfback, and a patched-up team generally)

Then again, that team did win the LLS too, whilst a couple of the Leeds GF-wining sides weren't great, and got the result more by luck (and especially our bad luck) than ability.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Its difficult to distinguish between a poor team and an undeserved one. Leeds had a good team in 2008 i suppose, but i never felt they deserved the title of Champions. The Ryan Hall try just before HT that put them back in the game was a farce. He never grounded that chip through and the video ref only glanced at it before awarding it. Even Phil Clarke was going spare saying it was never a try.
    That was one of the most painful finals to lose, for me.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I can't see it happening, but obviously hope it does. It would be interesting to see the reaction of some Wigan fans who have been calling for Wanes head for a lot of the season. I'm guessing it would be that the players have ignored the game plan etc etc etc. What's the old saying, players win games, coaches lose them. IMO he's got every last bit out of the players available and that is top class coaching.
    Saying that I would only give him one more year, win or lose, I've always believed that a coach only has a 5 or 6 year "shelf life" unless you have a massive amount of turnover in playing staff.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Yeah, unless we win it instead! We are so average that we finished below them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Yeah, unless we win it instead! We are so average that we finished below them.
    Technically you're right.
    If the super 8's were a separate comp and all teams started on zero points surely we would have been up at the top. Its not how you start the season its how you finish. Winning 11 of our last 12 is pretty good.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Whoever takes the title will fit the mantle. An above currently average team in a very average comp.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Whoever takes the title will fit the mantle. An above currently average team in a very average comp.
    Indeed.

This year's winning team should be remembered as "The team that won the worst-ever Superleague."