Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 19 man Squad v Warrington

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man Squad v Warrington

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/6274

SAINTS have named their 19-man squad for Thursday's First Utility Super League Semi Final clash at Warrington Wolves.

Adam Swift, Greg Richards and James Roby return to the side whilst Mark Percival (pictured) will also feature following his successful return last week.

Keiron Cunningham will select his 17 from:

1. Jonny Lomax, 3. Jordan Turner, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Adam Swift, 7. Luke Walsh, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Kyle Amor, 11. Atelea Vea, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 15. Greg Richards, 17. Luke Thompson, 18. Dominique Peyroux, 19. Theo Fages, 20. Joe Greenwood, 22. Jack Owens, 23. Shannon McDonnell, 28. Morgan Knowles.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

After reading this http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/..._Wolves_clash/ it sounds like there might be a scrap between Owens and McDonnell for the right wing spot. Swift will come straight back in no doubt and I'd be surprised if Fages plays, despite Cunningham's comments about him having a good game against Wakefield.

Lomax
    McDonnell/Owens
    Peyroux
    Percival
    Swift
    Turner
    Walsh
    Richards
    Roby
    Walmsley
    LMS
    Greenwood
    Wilkin

Thompson
    Amor
    Knowles
    Vea

Fages and Owens/McDonnell to miss out. That's how I think he'll go, or at least a variation of that 17.

I'd personally go for Turner at centre instead of Peyroux and Fages at 6 but I can't see that happening now.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 27th September 2016 at 14:43.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    After reading this http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/..._Wolves_clash/ it sounds like there might be a scrap between Owens and McDonnell for the right wing spot. Swift will come straight back in no doubt and I'd be surprised if Fages plays, despite Cunningham's comments about him having a good game against Wakefield.

Lomax
    McDonnell/Owens
    Peyroux
    Percival
    Swift
    Turner
    Walsh
    Richards
    Roby
    Walmsley
    LMS
    Greenwood
    Wilkin

Thompson
    Amor
    Knowles
    Vea

Fages and Owens/McDonnell to miss out. That's how I think he'll go, or at least a variation of that 17.

I'd personally go for Turner at centre instead of Peyroux at Fags at 6 but I can't see that happening now.
    Yes Turner at centre and Fages at stand off

Got A Season Ticket

I would leave out Richards and Owens but suspect it will be SMcD and Fage

It is all about winning now irrespective of what has gone before. With all but a fully fit squad no room for sentiment. Personally I would not select Peyroux. His form simply doesn't warrant it and hi suspect defence could cost us dearly.

Warrington Team.

September 27th, 2016
    WIRE SEMI FINAL SQUAD

ecomm

Warrington will host local rivals St Helens on Thursday night, 8pm, in the first of this season’s semi finals.

The sides have met three times already this season with the Wolves winning at Langtree Park by some margin but with Saints narrowly winning both games at The Halliwell Jones Stadium; 22-25, 18-20.

The difference with this fixture is that it’s knock-out. The winners will book their place in the Grand Final at Old Trafford on Saturday 8 October.

Head of coaching and rugby Tony Smith names his squad for this week’s semi final with just one change; Kurt Gidley returns with Brad Dwyer missing out.

WOLVES SQUAD

4 Ryan Atkins; 9 Daryl Clark; 3 Rhys Evans; 1 Kurt Gidley; 8 Chris Hill; 12 Jack Hughes; 29 Benjamin Jullien; 18 George King; 24 Toby King; 2 Tom Lineham; 26 Declan Patton; 20 Kevin Penny; 25 Joe Philbin; 6 Stefan Ratchford; 5 Matty Russell; 10 Ashton Sims; 31 Morgan Smith; 14 Joe Westerman; 27 Sam Wilde
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The West Stand

Lomax
    Owens Turner Percival Swift
    Fages Walsh
    Amor Roby Thompson
    Greenwood LMS
    Knowles

Vea Wilkin Walmsley Richards

Would be my pick, but I'm not in charge!

Feels like our strongest 19 in quite a while though, the 17 doesn't pick itself.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Lomax
    Fages Walsh
    Amor Roby Thompson
    Greenwood LMS
    Knowles

Feels like our strongest 19 in quite a while though, the 17 doesn't pick itself.
    I'd also say this is our strongest side on paper.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Lomax
    Fages Walsh
    Amor Roby Thompson
    Greenwood LMS
    Knowles

Definitely Fages at 6 and Turner in the centre gives us the most attacking threat.
    Think Wilkin will start with Knowles on the bench and Richards seems to get picked to start most weeks now! Wouldn't be in my props at all.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I don't think KC will make any dramatic changes and reckon his back line will be:-
    Lomax
    Owens
    Peyroux
    Percival
    Swift
    Turner
    Walsh

Its a big test for Peyroux and if he can keep Atkins quiet then we might get a sniff of winning this one, both packs will be well up for it but I reckon it will be won in the backs.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I don't think KC will make any dramatic changes and reckon his back line will be:-
    Lomax
    Owens
    Peyroux
    Percival
    Swift
    Turner
    Walsh

Its a big test for Peyroux and if he can keep Atkins quiet then we might get a sniff of winning this one, both packs will be well up for it but I reckon it will be won in the backs.
    From what we've seen these last couple of weeks, that isn't likely from Peyroux. His defence is very suspect.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Lomax
    Owens
    Peyroux
    Percival
    Swift
    Turner
    Walsh

Drop Peyroux and put Turner in the centres otherwise were doomed

In The South Stand

Peyroux to miss out due to his defensive lapses,Turner to replace him who at least offers an attacking threat despite some poor defence and Fages at 6.

KC does have some tricky decisions to make this week. In a just world Peyroux wouldn't be in the side, but I'd be nervous about changing the halves again, particularly as Fages has been hit and miss. I suspect he'll stick with Turner at 6 for the sake of continuity, and I think that's probably the right call.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    In a just world Peyroux wouldn't be in the side, but I'd be nervous about changing the halves again, particularly as Fages has been hit and miss. I suspect he'll stick with Turner at 6 for the sake of continuity, and I think that's probably the right call.
    I think, overall, you're right - but the way to remedy both keeping the continuity in the halves and getting Peyroux out of the side would have been to play Fleming at centre.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    It is all about winning now irrespective of what has gone before. With all but a fully fit squad no room for sentiment. Personally I would not select Peyroux. His form simply doesn't warrant it and hi suspect defence could cost us dearly.
    I agree. I would not move Turner but play Fages or McDonnell at centre. Could not be any worse defensively than Peyroux.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think, overall, you're right - but the way to remedy both keeping the continuity in the halves and getting Peyroux out of the side would have been to play Fleming at centre.
    True enough.

Learning All The Songs

I think fleming is a bit unlucky and i would rather see him at centre than peyroux but cunningham seems to disagree

Learning All The Songs

I think the only decision kc will have to make in the backs is to select between mcdonell and owens .

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I was away with my girlfriend last week so missed the Wakefield game but can't believe he's gone with Peyroux over Fleming. He's struggled with a knock for weeks and had a tough evening again on Friday by all accounts.

Too late in the day to move Turner for me, he'll stay at 6 alongside Walsh. They'll try and isolate Peyroux for sure though and he is going to have to deal with that.

Lomax
    Owens
    Peyroux
    Percival
    Swift
    Turner
    Walsh
    Richards
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Greenwood
    LMS
    Wilkin

Vea
    Amor
    Thompson
    Knowles
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Saint View Post
    I think fleming is a bit unlucky and i would rather see him at centre than peyroux but cunningham seems to disagree
    Fleming must be wondering what he has to do to stay in the side, while not a world beater he has been steady. Though Peyroux is more of a match for Atkins in size, IMO Fleming would be less likely to miss a tackle on him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Fleming must be wondering what he has to do to stay in the side, while not a world beater he has been steady. Though Peyroux is more of a match for Atkins in size, IMO Fleming would be less likely to miss a tackle on him.
    I think Atkins is very over rated but think he will be delighted to be lining up against Peyroux.

Him playing despite not deserving it and Richards along with the inevitable return of our glorious leader show us yet again KC seems incapable of picking a team on form

Banned

Richards I agree with Buddy. Wilkin to me you would play him if you where Kez. On another note I have just been taken to a Marco Pierre White restaraunt in Bloomsbury. Minestrone soup with no bread roll, ludicrous. Wouldn't happen in the Charcol Grill.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    I'd also say this is our strongest side on paper.
    Strongest side on paper maybe, but we playing on grass.
    If we can't beat wolfs second team, with our first bar makinson, we don't deserve place in final.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitoh View Post
    Strongest side on paper maybe, but we playing on grass.
    If we can't beat wolfs second team, with our first bar makinson, we don't deserve place in final.

They have Sandow, Westwood and Currie missing who would definitely be in their 17. Who else?