Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time for a Matchday Change?

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ep1987 View Post
    My idea:

For Saints the most important thing would be to pick one regular slot for home games; perhaps try Saturday @ 6pm next season?
    I'd love to see that from a personal point of view. I live out of the area and have a 5 year old child I'd love to take to his first game. Friday nights aren't possible due to work and the fact he'd be falling asleep at the game. I suppose I could take him to one of the Sunday away matches but I really want his first game to be at home against a bigger team.

I can't be the only one who hasn't taken his children to games due to the late kick-off times. Saints and other clubs could be missing out on future generations of attending supporters.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'd like Saturday at 3, selfishly of course it would suit me but there is no live premier league football broadcast by Sky or BT at that time slot that may affect the attendance, would be good for kids going but not good for players and supporters of the amateur game.
    It's difficult to suit everyone but attendances are dwindling and the club may have to try something?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I'd like Saturday at 3, selfishly of course it would suit me but there is no live premier league football broadcast by Sky or BT at that time slot that may affect the attendance, would be good for kids going but not good for players and supporters of the amateur game.
    It's difficult to suit everyone but attendances are dwindling and the club may have to try something?
    See that would be no good for me and a fair few of my mates who watch Saints but play RL/RU/football on a Saturday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    See that would be no good for me and a fair few of my mates who watch Saints but play RL/RU/football on a Saturday afternoon
    You're probably in quite a big category there mate TBH, maybe 6pm would be the way to go on a Saturday still time for a swift half afterwards....

Banned

It has to stay Friday nice meal, few drinks, Rugby what could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    It has to stay Friday nice meal, few drinks, Rugby what could be better.
    Without loving Fridays I don't mind them but if our season ticket numbers dwindle something might change.

In The South Stand

I quite like Fridays. Can pick up my son from Edge Hill University and go straight to the game. Nice end to the week and leaves Saturday and Sunday free. Thursdays are complete no hopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I quite like Fridays. Can pick up my son from Edge Hill University and go straight to the game. Nice end to the week and leaves Saturday and Sunday free. Thursdays are complete no hopers.
    Think this shows just how people of different ages, occupations, hobbies, family commitments struggle at different times. For me, it's really important that the youngsters are going through the turnstiles. However, the Sky money appears to the be all and end all but Thursdays are a right pain in the bum for me and I suspect, a fair few others. I also sounded a bit selfish in my last post regarding Saturday afternoons so apologies everyone.

In The South Stand

Think this shows just how people of different ages, occupations, hobbies, family commitments struggle at different times. For me, it's really important that the youngsters are going through the turnstiles. However, the Sky money appears to the be all and end all but Thursdays are a right pain in the bum for me and I suspect, a fair few others. I also sounded a bit selfish in my last post regarding Saturday afternoons so apologies everyone.
    No apologies required mate. It's horses for courses and as you pointed out, what suits some, won't suit others. I'm pretty sure that most would agree that Thursdays are not the best though. If you've got an early start for work on the Friday then it's not good. I think the attendances must be lower also, although I am prepared to be corrected!

Banned

No apologies required mate. It's horses for courses and as you pointed out, what suits some, won't suit others. I'm pretty sure that most would agree that Thursdays are not the best though. If you've got an early start for work on the Friday then it's not good. I think the attendances must be lower also, although I am prepared to be corrected!
    Far lower, i understand why SKY do it , I just wish they would stop, though Monday night which was an option would be far worse.

Aye you're right. They really don't work for me, just one big rush. But if the current tv deal is to 2021? (I think), then think we could be pretty much stuck with it. To me, a semi final is a big game, a big occasion, a local derby. It's being played on a Thursday night to fill a slot for Sky. Really rankles with me, but I still keep turning up!

You're probably in quite a big category there mate TBH, maybe 6pm would be the way to go on a Saturday still time for a swift half afterwards....
    I used to like Saturday tea times, but I was a student working part time then, had a nice stroll from town to KR, swift half in the Black Bull as you say on way past.

I used to like Saturday tea times, but I was a student working part time then, had a nice stroll from town to KR, swift half in the Black Bull as you say on way past.
    God I don't half miss going in the Black Bull before a Saints match, some occasions before a few Wigan and Bradford games the place was bouncing. Not just match days that was my local back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I'd love to see that from a personal point of view. I live out of the area and have a 5 year old child I'd love to take to his first game. Friday nights aren't possible due to work and the fact he'd be falling asleep at the game. I suppose I could take him to one of the Sunday away matches but I really want his first game to be at home against a bigger team.

I can't be the only one who hasn't taken his children to games due to the late kick-off times. Saints and other clubs could be missing out on future generations of attending supporters.
    Most fans of all ages seem to be falling asleep at the games these days. It's called boredom.

Seriously I understand where you are coming from with a 5 year old.

It doesn't really bother my what day and time they play as I have a lot of free time but I think Saturday 6pm-7pm is best as most people are off work for the weekend and no school the day after so may get a few fans from our opponents. Also if we are continuing with Sky Thursday games it would be better than Sunday as we would not need to change the time if we, or our opponents, are playing the following Thursday night.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

God I don't half miss going in the Black Bull before a Saints match, some occasions before a few Wigan and Bradford games the place was bouncing. Not just match days that was my local back then.
    It was wasn't it? The days when Bradford used have a following

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I took my Greek mate to a Saints v Bradford game back in 2006 or 2007. We went in the Black Bull pre game and there were a group of Bradford fans in there. Obviously him being used to Greek football culture, he immediately looked at me and said "Gray, they are on your turf, can we take them between us?" I laughed my arse off at him and explained that RL is a lot different to Mediterranean football culture. He didn't understand at all! 😃

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I took my Greek mate to a Saints v Bradford game back in 2006 or 2007. We went in the Black Bull pre game and there were a group of Bradford fans in there. Obviously him being used to Greek football culture, he immediately looked at me and said "Gray, they are on your turf, can we take them between us?" I laughed my arse off at him and explained that RL is a lot different to Mediterranean football culture. He didn't understand at all! ��
    I bet it was really strange for him. Always had a good craic with Bradford fans despite the rivalry between us and them at the time.

God I don't half miss going in the Black Bull before a Saints match, .

I don't miss it at all. The poor ale and ten deep queue at the bar especially!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I don't miss it at all. The poor ale and ten deep queue at the bar especially!
    Don't reckon it ever made the CAMRA guide book either Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Don't reckon it ever made the CAMRA guide book either Paul!
    Definitely not. The one quirky thing was the bagatelle table they had in the bar. Not many of those around!

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Definitely not. The one quirky thing was the bagatelle table they had in the bar. Not many of those around!
    Hey leave the Black Bull alone you two I liked ... . Never saw anyone use that bagatelle table and that was my local, the pool table was always in use but I preferred a game of snooker near the front window where some ridiculous kids play area is now. Never go in now don't really like how pubs have gone more about food but they wouldn't survive otherwise I suppose.