Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Matchday Change?

Quote Originally Posted by ep1987 View Post
    My idea:

3 TV slots of Friday 8pm (game of the week except when it clashes with a big PL game), Saturday 3pm or 6pm (both have pros and cons) and Sunday 1.30pm with Catalans home games @ 5pm on Saturdays (max of 3 SL TV games per week). No more Thursday games.

For Saints the most important thing would be to pick one regular slot for home games; perhaps try Saturday @ 6pm next season?
    No, that would be disastrous. The Saturday tea time kick off crowds were always very low. Clashes with football and traditionally people's night out, family functions,etc. I would say stick to Friday or Sunday pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    No, that would be disastrous. The Saturday tea time kick off crowds were always very low. Clashes with football and traditionally people's night out, family functions,etc. I would say stick to Friday or Sunday pm.
    I don't watch football. I don't go out and don't have any family at home, so ideal for me.

No matter what time we play some people will say it is not right.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    I don't watch football. I don't go out and don't have any family at home, so ideal for me. No matter what time we play some people will say it is not right.
    My girlfriend regularly drags me out of the house to attend social events when all i want to do is sit in my mutant turtles underpants drinking lager. Can we swap lives?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection Saint19's Avatar

As someone who works a 8-5 Monday to Friday job and as a United ticket holder. Thursdays & Fridays are perfect, I can attend pretty much all games, the games I miss are through choice, and then I can still go the football on a Saturday / Sunday.

Although, I missed the Wigan game where we lost 25-0 on the Friday night to go to United v Southampton which was on the same night. There's not many times I miss the rugby or the football due to the other. I will be missing United's Europa League game against Zorya Luhansk on Thursday 29th if Saints get drawn on the Thursday Semi Final.

So sorry to be selfish but I want to keep Thursday night and Friday night rugby.
    Not Arrogant. Just Better

Seriously though. Certain game days will influence attendances but still i think the spectacle on the field is the bigger issue.

I think most of us could make more effort to attend games regardless when they are played.
    Ask yourself this. If the team promised to play with the attacking flair of the 2001 team would it matter which day they played???
    20 years ago Leigh didn't run a bus to St. helens. I had to get 2 bus each way to attend games. I didn't mind though. It was worth it. I wouldn't make that sort of effort these days.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Seriously though. Certain game days will influence attendances but still i think the spectacle on the field is the bigger issue.

I think most of us could make more effort to attend games regardless when they are played.
    Ask yourself this. If the team promised to play with the attacking flair of the 2001 team would it matter which day they played???
    20 years ago Leigh didn't run a bus to St. helens. I had to get 2 bus each way to attend games. I didn't mind though. It was worth it. I wouldn't make that sort of effort these days.
    Your probably right. I use to think nothing of bunking a day off work to go to games, particularly when we played midweek away. I would rather spend my time on a coach to Workington for a 5.30pm kick off than be in work.

Ten years ago I would alter my plans to take my children to the games as they enjoyed it and I enjoyed taking them.

Now, they go on their own and, as I have mentioned many times, I struggle to roll myself down the hill from my house to the ground.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Your probably right. I use to think nothing of bunking a day off work to go to games, particularly when we played midweek away. I would rather spend my time on a coach to Workington for a 5.30pm kick off than be in work. Ten years ago I would alter my plans to take my children to the games as they enjoyed it and I enjoyed taking them. Now, they go on their own and, as I have mentioned many times, I struggle to roll myself down the hill from my house to the ground.
    Yep that's exactly it mate. Changing game days may help attendances a touch but not much. Some people work Monday to Friday, others work weekends. One size doesn't fit all. The bigger issue is the on field product.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

My girlfriend regularly drags me out of the house to attend social events when all i want to do is sit in my mutant turtles underpants drinking lager. Can we swap lives?
    Social events? They still around? I stopped them years ago and thought they had died off. I do sometimes come out of my games room, but only if my phone battery has gone and I need to verbally tell the Mrs its brew time.

I don't watch football. I don't go out and don't have any family at home, so ideal for me.

No matter what time we play some people will say it is not right.
    I accept that totally. I am however basing this on the fact that when Sky scheduled matches at 6pm on a Saturday the crowds were invariably poor.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

As a Saints fan I will always got to a Saints game and watch the other game as a recording.There is an argument that SKY should have moved the Hull/Wire game to give wire supporters a chance to see it.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Social events? They still around? I stopped them years ago and thought they had died off. I do sometimes come out of my games room, but only if my phone battery has gone and I need to verbally tell the Mrs its brew time.
    Haha!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint19 View Post
    As someone who works a 8-5 Monday to Friday job and as a United ticket holder. Thursdays & Fridays are perfect, I can attend pretty much all games, the games I miss are through choice, and then I can still go the football on a Saturday / Sunday.

Although, I missed the Wigan game where we lost 25-0 on the Friday night to go to United v Southampton which was on the same night. There's not many times I miss the rugby or the football due to the other. I will be missing United's Europa League game against Zorya Luhansk on Thursday 29th if Saints get drawn on the Thursday Semi Final.

So sorry to be selfish but I want to keep Thursday night and Friday night rugby.
    I hate Thursday night matches because of work it just doesn't seem right, but they won't be changing, SKY have very little live sport that night.

I will also be at LP although I am struggling to recall an entertaining game against Wakefield EVER since the 1970's!!

I will record the other game and attempt to avoid the score although invariably some nonky-plonk will find it necessary to blurt the score out!! I think if the West stand bursts into strains of Winky Warrington we will have a good inkling what is going on anyway!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I'd never given any thought to designated kick off times for TV games only, but I suppose it's exactly what they do in football. If they can manage to have 4 or 5 televised games and yet still have the Sat 3pm slot for non-TV games then it seems reasonable to expect that 2 games in SL could do the same.

I agree with Div that Saturday evening games wouldn't work, because evidence has shown them not to work in the past, and it would also go head to head with a PL game at 5:30 and the entertainment shows on BBC and ITV. Having seen that survey from the RFL, and having seen the choices of kick off times it looks to me like they are trying to test the water to see if there would be support for either noon on Sat/Sun, or a Sun evening slot.

I don't really like the sound of midday kick-offs, but Sunday evening has potential as long as it is early enough not to eat into families Sunday evenings. A 6 or 6:30pm Sunday game straight after the football, with a wrap-up show of the weekend action might be a winner for Sky I believe. I don't think they'll get rid of Thursday night in the near future because Thursday is a barren night for sport most weeks, but I do wonder if they are looking ahead to the next football rights and thinking that a bigger package of Friday night games might mean them having to move the Friday night RL slot to the weekend. If so, 2017 or 2018 might see some games played in a new slot to test it out for a permanent move.

Learning All The Songs

We should try and move as many non Sky games to Sunday at 3.00pm !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Dave bores the living kahoonas out of me and I don't care how disrespectful to him you think that is because I've known him too long and I know that if all of his points were to be acted upon, he would then have a subsequent barrel load more to whine about. Hence the name: DESPONDENT DAVE.

And his comment re Sky divides the support right down the middle. He says that the games should be moved so that "true supporters" don't have to watch bad games. I don't have Sky, I don't care what his Murdoch Money gets him.
    Talk about taking things the wrong way and being oversensitive.

Still. Nice to see you haven't changed as a person. I'll not resort to your usual style of personal abuse, but rest assured, if I did, you wouldn't win.

The question is, morally, how do you cut out other people being abusive on your site when you personally are the worst of the lot.

I'm not expecting an apology upon the lines of when you crawled back to me when I resigned from writing for you because of the level of personal abuse from you, because you don't need me to waste hours of time writing and updating your site anymore.

Ban me if you like. It'll save me the choice.

Shame really. I thought it was a point worth discussing.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Got A Season Ticket

Yawn

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

I don't want to swap lives, but are you open to offers on the Turtle undies?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by french and conlon View Post
    We should try and move as many non Sky games to Sunday at 3.00pm !
    I totally agree on this point as I take my 6 & 7 year old but with the revenue from corporate so big now I can't see it happening unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I totally agree on this point as I take my 6 & 7 year old but with the revenue from corporate so big now I can't see it happening unfortunately.
    I completely see your point on this. It is vital for the sport that the youngsters are coming to watch. Other concern is that the matches that are currently being served up are mostly rubbish as I'm sure many think. I'll have to drag my sorry arse to LP later

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    Where is the turtle's head?

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Where is the turtle's head?
    Not sure Bud, but there's a little map of Africa on the front

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Not sure Bud, but there's a little map of Africa on the front
    Haha

I thought it was a mini Turin shroud

They're yours pal. They're full of holes in the nuts region.
    Ive got my eye on some wheres wally twin packs in Tesco

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Talk about taking things the wrong way and being oversensitive.

Still. Nice to see you haven't changed as a person. I'll not resort to your usual style of personal abuse, but rest assured, if I did, you wouldn't win.

The question is, morally, how do you cut out other people being abusive on your site when you personally are the worst of the lot.

I'm not expecting an apology upon the lines of when you crawled back to me when I resigned from writing for you because of the level of personal abuse from you, because you don't need me to waste hours of time writing and updating your site anymore.

Ban me if you like. It'll save me the choice.

Shame really. I thought it was a point worth discussing.
    Chortle. Who's being oversensitive?

Just re-read my post and.. Nope, no personal abuse in there. Not quite sure what you're on about, frankly, but hey you can claim the win if cheers you up.

Bronco's site. Let's not beat around the bush, here. He never, ever, let go and that's why it still looks 1999.

If you get banned, it won't be for abusing ME. I can assure you of that...