Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Quite interesting

Banned

Default Quite interesting

Take a look at @AaronBower's Tweet: https://twitter.com/AaronBower/statu...526363136?s=09

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Take a look at @AaronBower's Tweet: https://twitter.com/AaronBower/statu...526363136?s=09

Your link doesn't work pal but I'm guessing you're referring to;
    https://inews.co.uk/essentials/open-...ef-nigel-wood/

More proof of an amateurish crew running our game. Some interesting points made though never less.

Banned

It is yes,

Got A Replica Shirt saint at wire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Your link doesn't work pal but I'm guessing you're referring to;
    https://inews.co.uk/essentials/open-...ef-nigel-wood/

More proof of an amateurish crew running our game. Some interesting points made though never less.
    I wonder if the clown Wood will even read it, never mind reply ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saint at wire View Post
    I wonder if the clown Wood will even read it, never mind reply ?
    I very much doubt it, but his letter does put a completely different spin on the so called bias towards Union in the press

Starting A Programme Collection

Some very interesting, relevant and valid points made in the article. I think Rugby League could be enjoying better coverage and we could be enjoying a better product on and off the field if it was developed in a different way. Some of the suggestions in the article aren't a bad start.

The scary thing for me is that how is it the RL suits between them, especially the guy (you can't miss him as he is a big lad) but his name who came from the FA have not thought of any of these points.
    In truth we as fans will moan but it (RL) will continue to plod along under sold, under promoted and under valued by those enjoying the trappings of being in charge.
    We need to get someone like Vladimir Putin interested in RL then we might get somewhere. St Helenskovo sounds a good name to me
    But in all seriousness we need a big change in the running of this great sport.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    The scary thing for me is that how is it the RL suits between them, especially the guy (you can't miss him as he is a big lad) but his name who came from the FA have not thought of any of these points.
    In truth we as fans will moan but it (RL) will continue to plod along under sold, under promoted and under valued by those enjoying the trappings of being in charge.
    We need to get someone like Vladimir Putin interested in RL then we might get somewhere. St Helenskovo sounds a good name to me
    But in all seriousness we need a big change in the running of this great sport.
    Exactly.

I did ask some time ago what it is that Brian Barwick does, and it seems nobody knows.

A quick glance at the board of directors shows the following-;

Brian Barwick-Chairman Former chief executive of the FA.
    Nigel Wood-Chief Executive Current Chairman of the RLIF
    Maurice Watkins, CBE-Senior Non-Executive Director Sports lawyer from Brabner Chaffe Street in Manchester and a former director of Manchester United.
    Bob Stott-Non-Executive Director Former Chief Executive of Morrisons Plc.
    Clare Morrow-Non-Executive Director Current Chair of Welcome to Yorkshire.

You'd have thought that between these 5, they would have taken care of the very elementary actions outlined in the article.

I imagine it's great working at the RFL. Lunch on the expense account, a nice car, and f**k all else to do.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I don't think I need to add much to the list of gripes about those running the RFL, but I do take the 'open letter' by the lad at 'the i' with a pinch of salt. He grumbles about games not finishing until nearly 10pm and that affecting if coverage can make the deadlines for the morning paper. Seriously, has this ever affected a football game that has kicked off at 8pm on a midweek evening, or those Europa League games that kick off at 8.05pm on Thursday nights? How about Monday's paper, which most weeks should have at least 2 games to cover that kicked off the previous day at 3pm or 3.30pm? Loads of coverage of them?

I completely agree with his point about photographs though. A London based paper like 'the i' isn't going to send it's own team of photographers to cover RL games in the North. It just isn't going to happen. In football lots of media outlets now use the photographs given by the PL, and this is lacking in RL. How many times do you see a headline about that evenings big RL game on the BBC's RL page and then see underneath the headline a photo of one of the games key players but from a completely unrelated match? Loads. Because the RFL is not handing out photographs to the media. So, those who don't cover the game in great depth will use stock photos, which makes everything look a bit crap.

So, I take the photo bit seriously, and that should be the easiest thing to fix. But I will take the pleas for earlier endings to games with a pinch of salt. We went through that experiment of Sky kicking off games at 7.30 a few years ago and it got loads of grumbles. And even though games were finishing before 9.30 I don't recall a huge increase in the coverage of games in the Saturday papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I don't think I need to add much to the list of gripes about those running the RFL, but I do take the 'open letter' by the lad at 'the i' with a pinch of salt. He grumbles about games not finishing until nearly 10pm and that affecting if coverage can make the deadlines for the morning paper. Seriously, has this ever affected a football game that has kicked off at 8pm on a midweek evening, or those Europa League games that kick off at 8.05pm on Thursday nights? How about Monday's paper, which most weeks should have at least 2 games to cover that kicked off the previous day at 3pm or 3.30pm? Loads of coverage of them?

I completely agree with his point about photographs though. A London based paper like 'the i' isn't going to send it's own team of photographers to cover RL games in the North. It just isn't going to happen. In football lots of media outlets now use the photographs given by the PL, and this is lacking in RL. How many times do you see a headline about that evenings big RL game on the BBC's RL page and then see underneath the headline a photo of one of the games key players but from a completely unrelated match? Loads. Because the RFL is not handing out photographs to the media. So, those who don't cover the game in great depth will use stock photos, which makes everything look a bit crap.

So, I take the photo bit seriously, and that should be the easiest thing to fix. But I will take the pleas for earlier endings to games with a pinch of salt. We went through that experiment of Sky kicking off games at 7.30 a few years ago and it got loads of grumbles. And even though games were finishing before 9.30 I don't recall a huge increase in the coverage of games in the Saturday papers.
    I'm inclined to agree. The following rather snarky comment reveals as much about why RL doesn't get proper coverage in the London-based press as do his more serious points:

'It must be frustrating for all rugby league supporters to know there are 13 men smashing into 13 other men on a regular basis and nobody is recording it for posterity.'

I thought this when I first read this. But after giving it some thought. I think with him saying there are less staff to cover stuff, footy is always going to take entire stage. So if are games are ending the same time as some footy games, we are going to take a back seat. If our games ended a bit earlier, maybe they would have time to draft an article covering RL easier. We (The RL) needs to find ways to make it easier for the London based press to get RL info.
    I am surprised that the RL have not at least gone and sat with the press to ask them what it would take to get more column inches (centimetres for the young). I am sure that would help. Getting a couple of papers on our side would help. After all the printed press are always looking for ways of increasing circulation. Having an exciting sport to give good solid reports on would help.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket

The RFL need to pay the photographers then for unrestricted use of all images. The photographers still need to earn a living and the equipment is far from cheap. I'm guessing the issue is that the RFL aren't willing to pay the price. Just like the news outlets are no longer willing to pay.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

So what's the chance of fat Nige posting an open response.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    My Eastern European friend suggests St Helenskov. kovo is more polish (allegedly)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    So what's the chance of fat Nige posting an open response.
    Depends on whether there's a buffet in it for him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Massive bugbear of mine the finish time, invariably kick off is late, million video ref decisions to the screen, stopping the game for every injury, some games aren't finishing till ten past, ten is the norm, that's 40 minutes 'wasted' somewhere along the line, albeit about 15 minutes is half time.

Went an a team game a few weeks back, I was out, watched the match and home within two hours

Got A Season Ticket Strayed Saint's Avatar

So essentially if a journalist doesn't have to do any work whatsoever they will give us a chance?

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strayed Saint View Post
    So essentially if a journalist doesn't have to do any work whatsoever they will give us a chance?
    Unfortunately yes.
    Newspapers are struggling with readership and having to lower their prices. They don't have as many journalists as they used to and simply can't afford to send people to all matches. As the letter alludes to, county cricket have picked up on this and has worked hard to encourage the press to report their matches and other stories.
    We might not like it but it's what we need to do.