Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Warrington/Wigan game

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post

Interesting that Tony Smith thought the red card was harsh. He must be retarded and blinkered as well.
    The game changed on the red card so no doubt Smith wishes it hadn't happened.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Interesting that Tony Smith thought the red card was harsh. He must be retarded and blinkered as well.
    Smith should have been sacked years ago. No idea how he's still got a job at a supposed 'big' club - wouldn't have lasted at us, Wigan or Leeds.

Toss up between him and Powell for most overrated coach in the country.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    WWE style drama which demeans the sport and is utterly embarrasing to the professional sportsmen who are putting their all into winning silverware.

Its a joke and in one action shows how smalltime, how desperate, and how shambolic the RFL and Sky actually are. Its a professional sport played by people who in sporting terms are payed a pittance, few if any retire and never have to work and they are treated like a side show of some cheap comedy movie.

Cheap laugh or not it was unprofessional 2 years ago and it is just as unprofessional now. Embarrasing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Great post.

Only thing that was missing was Stuart Hall and Eddie Waring to complete a 'Its a Knockout' presentation of RL. Sky's coverage is slowly returning rugby league to the dark ages. What other credible sport would seriously have pulled that stunt last night?

I should imagine the casual viewer would have found this gimmick most risible not because of the action itself but because it came from a sport that continually tries to convince the public that it is a credible, successful sport.

The game is being sold and presented like darts, british icehockey and speedway. Totally desperate and smalltime hard sell.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    It's gone midnight, Wigan have won at Warrington and Bazdev (a St Helens born Wigan fan) is sat on Saints forum attempting to wind up Saints supporters.

I don't think anymore needs to be said to be honest.

An extremely sad lonely man. Pathetic.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

I'm pretty sure that Smith said both teams suffered from some harsh calls, but I don't think he expressly said that the send off was one of them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I think it was careless more than malicious, he had his back to him when he actually made contact, it would take some serious skills to hit someone with your elbow facing the other way
    If it was careless he wouldn't have raised his elbow further and pushed it through the contact. Should be his season over.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Smith should have been sacked years ago. No idea how he's still got a job at a supposed 'big' club - wouldn't have lasted at us, Wigan or Leeds.

Toss up between him and Powell for most overrated coach in the country.

that really made me laugh out loud what a ridiculous statement,Powell was Coach of the Year award in 2014 at Castleford ,i would have him at Saints in a heartbeat and he would have us playing the way that Saints should play,

Won't see sky going to town on Flower like they did with Luke Walsh/Thompson. Don't forget their redemption rubbish and the heroes welcome they gave him last year which was a disgrace

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    that really made me laugh out loud what a ridiculous statement,Powell was Coach of the Year award in 2014 at Castleford ,i would have him at Saints in a heartbeat and he would have us playing the way that Saints should play,
    If Powell is this uber coach why is it Castleford never qualify for the Semi Final's? Easy way to beat them keep them under 20, they can't tackle for toffee and he has shown a disregard for that side of the game, that comes from the top.

He is vastly overrated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WBFOP View Post
    If Powell is this uber coach why is it Castleford never qualify for the Semi Final's? Easy way to beat them keep them under 20, they can't tackle for toffee and he has shown a disregard for that side of the game, that comes from the top.

He is vastly overrated.
    Oh if it comes from the top, my argument is in shreds.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

He is vastly overrated.
    It's like saying Pochettino and Koeman are over-rated managers because Southampton never finished Top 4 under either of them. Perhaps it was because they sold their best players, didn't have the selling points that bigger clubs had, and maybe just didn't have as good a squad. I can't fathom why any coach at Castleford can be ribbed because they only finish 5th or 6th when in the grand scheme of things a club that size with their crowds and lack of pulling power should consider it a success to finish 8th.

I agree with Si however on Smith, to a degree. He appears to be a classy fella and I like that we have coaches like him who actively encourage attacking RL. Our game is better for having people like him involved. However, he really has under-achieved at Warrington given the players they've had. Yes they've won the Cup a couple of times, but to have only reached one GF under him is not good enough. He comes across as not really that fussed when they lose games, which is the Australian attitude of 'regular seaon means nothing, it's all about the play offs' which has seen Wire lose games they should never lose, has generally seen them finish lower than they should and has generally meant they lose the biggest games when they count. That falls on Smith, and Si is correct that if he had coached Saints, Wigan or Leeds in the same span of time and had the same players at this disposal he would have been sacked by now for failing to regularly be Top 2 and failing to be at OT every year.

Got A Season Ticket

Management! The top, the coach.

Got A Season Ticket

I think it was careless more than malicious, he had his back to him when he actually made contact, it would take some serious skills to hit someone with your elbow facing the other way
    Suggest Mr Thaler had his back to the TV when he allowed that try

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It's like saying Pochettino and Koeman are over-rated managers because Southampton never finished Top 4 under either of them. Perhaps it was because they sold their best players, didn't have the selling points that bigger clubs had, and maybe just didn't have as good a squad. I can't fathom why any coach at Castleford can be ribbed because they only finish 5th or 6th when in the grand scheme of things a club that size with their crowds and lack of pulling power should consider it a success to finish 8th.

I agree with Si however on Smith, to a degree. He appears to be a classy fella and I like that we have coaches like him who actively encourage attacking RL. Our game is better for having people like him involved. However, he really has under-achieved at Warrington given the players they've had. Yes they've won the Cup a couple of times, but to have only reached one GF under him is not good enough. He comes across as not really that fussed when they lose games, which is the Australian attitude of 'regular seaon means nothing, it's all about the play offs' which has seen Wire lose games they should never lose, has generally seen them finish lower than they should and has generally meant they lose the biggest games when they count. That falls on Smith, and Si is correct that if he had coached Saints, Wigan or Leeds in the same span of time and had the same players at this disposal he would have been sacked by now for failing to regularly be Top 2 and failing to be at OT every year.
    Two Grand Finals with Warrington is it not? I'm not ribbing Castleford, I'm just making a point. I'll imagine that they are spending up to the cap also.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Two Grand Finals with Warrington is it not? I'm not ribbing Castleford, I'm just making a point. I'll imagine that they are spending up to the cap also.
    You're right, apologies. Still nowhere near good enough though.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

I agree with nearly everything you say but I think Smith was hurting last night. He just tries to cover it up but I think most of us, as fans, prefer coaches who wear their hearts on their sleeve. He also tries to be sporting and gracious in defeat. I like his handshakes with the opposition and his reluctance to criticise but I probably wouldn't like it if he was coaching us. Double standards?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    If it was careless he wouldn't have raised his elbow further and pushed it through the contact. Should be his season over.
    It was only careless because the tw*t was caught! Yet again SKY have the opportunity to pillory a disgraceful tackle by a Wigan player and yet again they look the other way. Where was Carneys wagging finger? Up his ar*e probably! Pathetic. Bet Flower gets a one game ban. As a fellow poster has already said, should've been banned for life after the assault on Lance in our showpiece match. Just what is the point of the Video Ref? All that technology and even "Super Zoom" (about as useful as an ice lolly!) and they still side with Wigan! It really is getting beyond a joke now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    WWE style drama which demeans the sport and is utterly embarrasing to the professional sportsmen who are putting their all into winning silverware.

Its a joke and in one action shows how smalltime, how desperate, and how shambolic the RFL and Sky actually are. Its a professional sport played by people who in sporting terms are payed a pittance, few if any retire and never have to work and they are treated like a side show of some cheap comedy movie.

Cheap laugh or not it was unprofessional 2 years ago and it is just as unprofessional now. Embarrasing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    What do you think they are trying to achieve with this, degrade the sport, humiliate the players and fans. It probably does a bit of those but is certainly not an entertainment spectacle.

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

I detest Wigan, every year my hatred gets greater and greater, it just never diminishes. I honestly see them as the anti Christ.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    I detest Wigan, every year my hatred gets greater and greater, it just never diminishes. I honestly see them as the anti Christ.

Get a grip . How pathetic .

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

I can't I think it's the ubiquitous shots of the silverback and blatant video ref Fiasco's that drive me to this.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

To be realistic about it Flowers previous history should be the only issue here he cannot afford to keep doing this and the only person to blame is Wane and the way he plays.I doubt Flower would play in the same manner under an intelligent considered coach.

No excuse for this and it should be a longer ban than the Lance incident simply because the moron has had a serious previous warning.

Wane's defence of the elbow on Patten is shocking in the extreme but indicitive of the Wigan club as a whole.It is the way they play from seeking to gain an unfair advantage at every step to the constant foul play.The RFL disciplinary system will no doubt let the game down again.

More worrying is the editorial behaviour of SKY. Walsh and Thompson victimised over tackles that just about warranted penalties and very little about the assault by Flower.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post

More worrying is the editorial behaviour of SKY. Walsh and Thompson victimised over tackles that just about warranted penalties and very little about the assault by Flower.
    THIS. Not one for having a persecution complex or a conspiracy theorist, but it's very hard to argue otherwise when it's presented so blatantly.
    Last edited by MancSaint; 18th September 2016 at 12:28.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I don't think SKY have ever liked us, particularly since the Knowsley Rd days when we would all gave Stevo shit on the popular side. I think SKY has always treated us like the least fashionable of all the top clubs. They haven't been able to deny our class over the years (particularly in the 00's) but i always thought they'd prefer the other teams to win and whenever they have given us any credit its always been spoken through gritted teeth.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    To be realistic about it Flowers previous history should be the only issue here he cannot afford to keep doing this and the only person to blame is Wane and the way he plays.I doubt Flower would play in the same manner under an intelligent considered coach.

No excuse for this and it should be a longer ban than the Lance incident simply because the moron has had a serious previous warning.

Wane's defence of the elbow on Patten is shocking in the extreme but indicitive of the Wigan club as a whole.It is the way they play from seeking to gain an unfair advantage at every step to the constant foul play.The RFL disciplinary system will no doubt let the game down again.

I wonder if Carney has been warned not to have another rant like he did about Walsh because there have been far worse incidents since with hardly a mention .