Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Warrington/Wigan game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I think we can forget the BBC bidding big money for our sport. You look at the whole Bake Off debacle to see that even a show that is watched by 10-11m a week for 12 weeks of the year is beyond them when silly money gets bandied around. The other main issue of our sport moving from Sky to terrestrial is the simple fact that crowds for live games would go down. Look at Cup QF and SF crowds as an example of this.

I don't know what Sky's deal actually stipulates, but I've read certain things that stated that Sky sold the rights for the highlights package to the BBC. If the Super League Show exists only because Sky sold the highlights rights to the BBC then that may be the reason why it is on at such a daft time because Sky may have stipulated that it couldn't be shown earlier. This for me is the key to the TV rights. I don't honestly think BT are bothered because they have club RU on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons. It is a good deal for them as it allows them to tap into a different audience and I don't see them wanting to upset the RFU by having RL on as well on the same evenings and afternoons.

As I say, the free TV highlights are the key thing that the RFL can sort out. The RU Prem has a highlights show at peak time on Sundays on ITV4, repeated later on ITV. It gets good ratings and is on the air whilst the weekends games are still fresh in the memory. Football has MOTD, watched by 3-4m people and on at a time when the games are fresh and relevant. There hasn't been a live PL game on free TV for way over 20 years, but the PL is huge, because more people still watch MOTD than any live game on Sky. Even the Football League has a 90 minute highlights show at 9pm on C5 on a Saturday night just hours after the games have finished.

So, what is stopping the RFL from trying to get a highlights package on the BBC really close to the Friday night games? It might be logistically difficult to get such a show on at say 11pm that same night, but it would definitely be easy enough to get it on BBC2 on Saturday at midday for example. Most of the big games of the round are done and dusted by Friday night, so have a highlights show that reflects this and actually shows highlights whilst the big games are still relevant. They could wrap up any other games on Sat and Sun with a red button show or a highlights show on the BBC RL webpage, so as not to have two studio shows every weekend. It would make so much more sense. Instead, we have the SLS at 11pm or whenever on Monday night, some 4 days after the first game of the round happened and 3 days after the bulk of the round was played. SLS is scheduled closer to the start of the following round than the start of the round it is supposed to cover, which is ridiculous. Imagine MOTD going out on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening covering games that happened the previous Saturday, because that is the equivalent.

If we sort out a proper highlights show at a proper time (Sat 12pm for example) then Sky could continue to do what they wanted with live games. They would be were we go to watch live games on Thu or Fri, and would be an important financial supporter of the game. But if we are at a game on a Friday night, or if we don't have Sky we would know there is an hour long highlights show at midday on BBC2 with all the action, and it would get good ratings and be a massive benefit to the sport. That is the key thing for me, because at present we basically have Sky dominating the landscape with a highlights show that lacks any relevance because by the time it comes on we are already looking ahead to the next round of games.
    Sky sold the highlight's package to the BBC, the contract ends in 2020, I believe the contract allows the BBC to broadcast the Super League Shows regionally on the Monday night, and Nationally the following day,but they don't stipulate what time it has to be broadcast, the scheduling is for the BBC to decide.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS2411 View Post
    Cannot see how you can criticise anyone's posts
    NO to be fair to Maggie she was right I did misquote her and for that I am truly sorry. However she actually thinks Ange Powers is worth a spot on our screens delivering our sport for that I really am sorry.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    NO to be fair to Maggie she was right I did misquote her and for that I am truly sorry. However she actually thinks Ange Powers is worth a spot on our screens delivering our sport for that I really am sorry.

That did make me laugh. I would pick you up on the Maggie, but as Margaret isn't my real name i will let it go.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    Sky sold the highlight's package to the BBC, the contract ends in 2020, I believe the contract allows the BBC to broadcast the Super League Shows regionally on the Monday night, and Nationally the following day,but they don't stipulate what time it has to be broadcast, the scheduling is for the BBC to decide.
    Thanks for clarifying. So, what I'd heard was correct, which again goes to show how utterly inept the RFL have been in these deals. To sell the whole rights to Sky, so that Sky and not the RFL get to sell a highlights package to a FTA provider is ridiculous. Surely no other league does this? The basis for all negotiations should be to sell primary live rights and primary highlights rights as separate packages, with whoever gets the live rights exempt from bidding for the primary highlights rights. Imagine Sky selling a highlights package of PL games to the BBC and telling them they could show it on a Tuesday evening! Or Sky allowing C5 to show Test cricket highlights 3 days after that days play! It's a nonsense. This sport is run by amateurs.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    REgarding Sky replacing Stevo I think bringing Tony Rea more into the fold with Hemmings would bring some credibility into the situation. They have a couple of summarisers too many on the show and I would offload a few, no names mentioned.
    I really like that suggestion. I think Tony Rea nearly always makes an astute and interesting contribution. Not sure SS would agree mind. That damned Aussie accent and all

That did make me laugh. I would pick you up on the Maggie, but as Margaret isn't my real name i will let it go.
    Is your real name Kevin?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Is your real name Kevin?

It isn't. 100%.

Banned

Is your real name Kevin?

Mocking someone who I know you are well aware sadly passed away last year is a low even for you.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Is your real name Kevin?

Exactly what I thought.

Mocking someone who I know you are well aware sadly passed away last year is a low even for you.

Maybe a different Kevin. I was referring to the one banned from here.

Hang on a minute. I made a slight link about your comments regarding Sky. I didn't know the guy or his personal circumstances and you know full well I don't.

As for your "low even for me" comment my involvement on this board is minimal compared to most posters and I don't think I have said anything to anyone which could barely even be considered derogatary. I think I have interacted with you once possibly twice so how you can have the authority to say "low even for me" is just bizarre.

In conclusion I am not one for spats and pointless arguments and I am sorry if I offended you. However please don't state things as facts when you know they are not and then try to demean me.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Maybe a different Kevin. I was referring to the one banned from here.
    Ditto.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Back to the match. How did Warrington throw it all away? All they had to do was play the tackles out and shut things down. Biggest culprit was King throwing out a dodgy long pass and losing possession early in the tackle count and then giving the pass for the silly interception. A spell in the reserves would do him no harm.
    The Wolves suffered as they always do when Hill leaves the field, he's the best and most consistent prop in SL. Losing Currie to injury didn't help either.

You have to give credit to the coach Tony Smith, he's never afraid to throw in the youngsters in, such as King and especially playing Declan Patton in the halves.

A word on Daryl Clark too, he was outstanding and back to his best.

Regards,

STEVO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    The Wolves suffered as they always do when Hill leaves the field, he's the best and most consistent prop in SL. Losing Currie to injury didn't help either.

You have to give credit to the coach Tony Smith, he's never afraid to throw in the youngsters in, such as King and especially playing Declan Patton in the halves.

A word on Daryl Clark too, he was outstanding and back to his best.

Regards,

STEVO
    Clarke has been playing well recently, but I would still go for Houghton over him for MOS.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Clarke has been playing well recently, but I would still go for Houghton over him for MOS.
    Yep Houghton has already been given my vote for MOS. And isn't it great to see that we (England) now have 4 top quality hookers to choose from for the 4 nations to come?

Maybe a bit controversial on here, but I'd go for Hodgson to start and Clark off the interchange. Josh Hodgson has arguably been the best 9 in the NRL this year, and Clark gives you that explosive speed off the bench.

Regards,

STEVO

Noooobie

2 matches for Flower. Back for the grand final if Wigan get there, what a joke.

Learning All The Songs

Wigan are appealing the ban, saying that it was careless rather than reckless and as a result should be in a lower grade category.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wiga...arge-1-8138756

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    Wigan are appealing the ban, saying that it was careless rather than reckless and as a result should be in a lower grade category.

Unbelievable. I hope they increase it to 3 for the cheek of appealing but I fear they will reduce it to 1 and they will be a laughing stock once more.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

How many times have Wigan appealed bans over recent seasons? There appears a total inability to accept the judgement of the RFL disciplinary from that club and an appetite to challenge it at moreorless every opportunity.

Banned

Silly. He will end up with 3 games

I don't blame them. Wigan are taking advantage of the RFL's spineless nature. The worst that can happen is that the ban is upheld.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    I don't blame them. Wigan are taking advantage of the RFL's spineless nature. The worst that can happen is that the ban is upheld.
    Not necessarily. As unlikely as it is given the RFL's current lenient nature, they can actually increase the ban on appeal. I think it happened to Terry Newton once upon a time.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Someone likened SL to WWE in another thread. I'd say that WWE is far more believeable than the RFL disciplinary. They are truly ridiculous.