Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3565758182838485
Results 2,101 to 2,117 of 2117

Thread: Moves - possible and confirmed 2

Quote Originally Posted by WBFOP View Post
    Kerrod. Played for Queensland, Australia....................and Gateshead
    Kerrod! That was it. He was good as well, but Steve was a great hooker. I seem to remember him playing a blinder in either the deciding test in '94 or the '95 World Cup final ... or possibly both.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Kieron Cunningham was a great player for Saints but being honest I can't remember him ever being outstanding in an international game.
    One of the World Cups, when Wales reached the semi-finals - Cunningham was immense

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    One of the World Cups, when Wales reached the semi-finals - Cunningham was immense
    How long did he play international football?

I'm sorry i'm not criticising Cunningham as a player, he was one of the very best I've seen in a Red Vee, but let's not suggest that Smith who has been a massive influence on the international game is a lesser player.
    They are completely different as players and it is difficult to compare the two because of that. Cunningham was all power and pace and his game was about running whereas Smith completely bosses a game from dummy half without really running at the opposition.

Also Cunningham benefited greatly from Roby's emergence which prolonged his career whereas Smith plays more or less 80 minutes every week and puts in a stint in defence averaging nearly 43 tackles a game.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    Benny Elias. Now there was a quality hooker.
    I can remember him scooting from dummy half carrying the ball in 1 hand pushing players off with the other, was way ahead of the curve IMO......plus wore one of the best Aussie club kits of all time at Balmain (up there with the Western Suburbs black and white one)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I'm sorry i'm not criticising Cunningham as a player, he was one of the very best I've seen in a Red Vee, but let's not suggest that Smith who has been a massive influence on the international game is a lesser player.
    They are completely different as players and it is difficult to compare the two because of that. Cunningham was all power and pace and his game was about running whereas Smith completely bosses a game from dummy half without really running at the opposition.

Also Cunningham benefited greatly from Roby's emergence which prolonged his career whereas Smith plays more or less 80 minutes every week and puts in a stint in defence averaging nearly 43 tackles a game.
    KC international career was very erratic having to play for 2 international teams with inconsistent appearances, he always seemed to be missing with injuries in games that matter. The opposition fans always use to bait us by saying Cunningham cried off again and got himself injured.
    Cameron Smith was the opposite played nearly 50 games the majority in a well oiled team of "all stars". The adage you are only as good as the players around you might also be true when you make the quality comparison of Australia with GB/Wales.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    KC international career was very erratic having to play for 2 international teams with inconsistent appearances, he always seemed to be missing with injuries in games that matter. The opposition fans always use to bait us by saying Cunningham cried off again and got himself injured.
    Cameron Smith was the opposite played nearly 50 games the majority in a well oiled team of "all stars". The adage you are only as good as the players around you might also be true when you make the quality comparison of Australia with GB/Wales.
    I agree with much of this and it is also worth noting that Cunningham was one of the very few players to emerge from the wreckage of the extended World Club Challenge in 1996 with any credit.

This was the year all Superleague clubs played the Australian clubs and the one sided nature of many of the matches was dreadful. Cunningham came out of that series with real credit and the Australian administrators were falling over themselves to try to get him to sign for one of their clubs.

The other thing that didnt help was the drug scandal. Cunningham took the rap for the RFLs incompetence in that one as well and basically sacked off the international games thereafter.

Learning All The Songs

Danny Buderus told me once that he rated Cunningham as the best hooker to have played the game. That's good enough for me.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I notice that it has been confirmed that He has signed for Leeds:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/38391507

Sorry if this is old news.
    Excellent signing for Leeds. Very good little player

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Danny Buderus told me once that he rated Cunningham as the best hooker to have played the game. That's good enough for me.
    Funny that cos Aussies never rated him

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I agree with much of this and it is also worth noting that Cunningham was one of the very few players to emerge from the wreckage of the extended World Club Challenge in 1996 with any credit.

This was the year all Superleague clubs played the Australian clubs and the one sided nature of many of the matches was dreadful. Cunningham came out of that series with real credit and the Australian administrators were falling over themselves to try to get him to sign for one of their clubs.

The other thing that didnt help was the drug scandal. Cunningham took the rap for the RFLs incompetence in that one as well and basically sacked off the international games thereafter.

Great post this. But wasn't it 1997?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    Not sure that's correct. He turned down a couple of Aussie clubs, they named him in a world 13 around 96, and though nothing to do with Aus, RLW named him the greatest player ever in SL. Having said that, while I rate him as Saints best hooker I wouldn't rate him as their greatest player.

Learning All The Songs

Stop telling lies

They did. They mentioned him quite regularly as one of the players over here they rated very highly

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Excellent signing for Leeds. Very good little player
    I agree. Manly fans pretty annoyed they have allowed him to leave.
    Think in SL this lad will rip it up, fast around the ruck, not afraid to take the line on. Leeds look like they've signed a rough diamond here to play that same style of rugby they where with Paul Alton at 9.
    Also impressed with how they're handling the Segayaro situation. You can call Gary H all day but he doesn't seem to get mugged off by no one.

In The West Stand

Excellent post. I was a huge, huge fan as KC as a player, I don't know of any Saints fans who wern't. But Smith is sensational player. And for me a much better player than KC was. He is probably the best No9 ever to play the game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

http://www.5thtackle.com/wests-tiger...t-kyle-lovett/

Probably nothing in it but some reports linking us with West Tigers' 23 year old 2nd row Kyle Lovett. For those who don't want to read the article it's reportedly between us, Hudds and Salford with Lovett being forced out due to salary cap restrictions.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Sounds bang average.