Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Genuine Question

Got A Season Ticket

Default Genuine Question

How many signings do you think we need to make before next season with all the rumours of who are leaving and who have already left of the top of my head I'd say about 8 ish but who ???????

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    How many signings do you think we need to make before next season with all the rumours of who are leaving and who have already left of the top of my head I'd say about 8 ish but who ???????
    Much less than 8. Our squad is over inflated with average players. We need to sign quality over quantity and trust the younger players to come in

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by teddlyf View Post
    Much less than 8. Our squad is over inflated with average players. We need to sign quality over quantity and trust the younger players to come in
    Do the maths there at about 9 going out according to some people and the younger players aren't good enough for SL except for knowles

Banned

Interesting this point regarding quality. Leeds this year have been pants, us and the goons average at best. Quality is at a premium so more average I feel.

Learning All The Songs

Do the maths there at about 9 going out according to some people and the younger players aren't good enough for SL except for knowles
    Let's look at it in a more straight forward way.

Half back: Out- Walsh, Burns In- Smith. Burns has been out anyway, no real loss. Richardson coming through too. 2 out, 1 in.
    Centre: Out- Turner, Dawson In- Morgan. 2 for 1 and Dawson is already gone and Turner hasn't even been playing centre. We basically gain a player and lose two off the cap.
    Full back: Out- McDonnell In- No one. I'd get someone here, but I imagine Saints are planning to either sign someone or bring through Bailey/Grace. I'm content enough with either option.
    Second row: Out- Vea, possibly Savelio In- Williams. 1 out, 1 in. 1 unconfirmed, and I hope we keep Savelio, but Knowles has done well and has been like a new signing 6 months early. Also, Peyroux will probably slot in here if Morgan and Percival are fit.
    Prop: Out- possibly Tasi In- rumoured that we're after a prop if Tasi goes, which would be great on both counts.
    Hooker: Out- no one In- Lee, it seems, as a stop gap until Cunningham/Smith are ready. Seems fair enough.

I don't see a major issue (with numbers that is, the actual signings are debatable).

Got A Season Ticket

Out~Burns
    Walsh
    Tasi
    Dawson
    SMD
    Wilkin (we can live in hope)
    Vea
    Sav
    Just off the top of my head

Got A Season Ticket

Out~Burns
    Walsh
    Tasi
    Dawson
    SMD
    Vea
    Sav
    Tuner

Got A Season Ticket

Let's look at it in a more straight forward way.

Half back: Out- Walsh, Burns In- Smith. Burns has been out anyway, no real loss. Richardson coming through too. 2 out, 1 in.
    Centre:t- Turner, Dawson In- Morgan. 2 for 1 and Dawson is already gone and Turner hasn't even been playing centre. We basically gain a player and lose two off the cap.
    Full back: Out- McDonnell In- No one. I'd get someone here, but I imagine Saints are planning to either sign someone or bring through Bailey/Grace. I'm content enough with either option.
    Second row: Out- Vea, possibly Savelio In- Williams. 1 out, 1 in. 1 unconfirmed, and I hope we keep Savelio, but Knowles has done well and has been like a new signing 6 months early. Also, Peyroux will probably slot in here if Morgan and Percival are fit.
    Prop: Out- possibly Tasi In- rumoured that we're after a prop if Tasi goes, which would be great on both counts.
    Hooker: Out- no one In- Lee, it seems, as a stop gap until Cunningham/Smith are ready. Seems fair enough.

I don't see a major issue (with numbers that is, the actual signings are debatable).
    Can you see KC giving the likes of Bailey and Grace a run in the first team i can't

Learning All The Songs

Out~Burns
    Walsh
    Tasi
    Dawson
    SMD
    Vea
    Sav
    Read my post above if you've missed it. Even if all those plus Turner left, we wouldn't need 8. As it is, Tasi isn't leaving, Savelio isn't leaving and there's no confirmation that Vea is either.

edit- sorry, I see that you have

Learning All The Songs

Can you see KC giving the likes of Bailey and Grace a run in the first team i can't
    I don't know, I'm not KC. What I will say is that we currently have four lads covering the back three next year; Lomax, Makinson, Swift, Owens. Thankfully, Makinson and Swift can cover full back and it seems Owens can cover wing given recent showings. If we get two injuries, one of those lads might get a run. We have to assume that's going to be the case unless we sign someone else? Spedding had one game on the wing and it didn't work and I think the same happened with Bailey, so I'd have thought Bailey will be third choice full back and Grace fourth choice winger

Got A Season Ticket

Read my post above if you've missed it. Even if all those plus Turner left, we wouldn't need 8. As it is, Tasi isn't leaving, Savelio isn't leaving and there's no confirmation that Vea is either.

edit- sorry, I see that you have
    If Leigh get into SL Tasi is leaving and Vea should not be offered a new contract been pants since his first serious injury

Learning All The Songs

If Leigh get into SL Tasi is leaving and Vea should not be offered a new contract been pants since his first serious injury
    I don't disagree but the rumours are that Saints are after another prop if they do manage to offload both of those guys, so I don't think you'll be too disappointed on that front.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

We need yet another thread on this?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Have you actually seen either of them play though? Not a dig, genuinely interested.

When I watch Grace I see an athlete. He's quick and he can run but he's not ready to play Super League yet IMO. He isn't confident under the high ball and he's often caught out of position. If you throw in a young kid at wing/full back who isn't dominant in those areas you will get caught out. Teams will isolate him with kicks and he just wouldn't be able to compete and deal with it. He'd just get targeted and I don't think he'd be able to cope at this stage.

He's got potential don't get me wrong. There were calls earlier in the year to play him on the wing and I couldn't see why. He needs more time before we throw him in there IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Have you actually seen either of them play though? Not a dig, genuinely interested.

When I watch Grace I see an athlete. He's quick and he can run but he's not ready to play Super League yet IMO. He isn't confident under the high ball and he's often caught out of position. If you throw in a young kid at wing/full back who isn't dominant in those areas you will get caught out. Teams will isolate him with kicks and he just wouldn't be able to compete and deal with it. He'd just get targeted and I don't think he'd be able to cope at this stage.

He's got potential don't get me wrong. There were calls earlier in the year to play him on the wing and I couldn't see why. He needs more time before we throw him in there IMO.
    I see your point , but my angle on these young players with real potential is to just give them a go , let them learn.
    This year we've lost plenty of games with Owens and Dawson on the wing , so these for me were lost opportunities to play the likes of Grace etc !

Got A Season Ticket

I don't disagree but the rumours are that Saints are after another prop if they do manage to offload both of those guys, so I don't think you'll be too disappointed on that front.
    Mitchell Dodds from Wire.

Learning All The Songs

Tuner
    Prefer Salmon

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    Prefer Salmon
    I see you fell for my red herring