Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pie Clarke's 4 Nations side

Learning All The Songs

Default Pie Clarke's 4 Nations side

Some Wednesday evening light humour...

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...e-four-nations

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

The guy is a half wit. There's that much wrong with that side that I can't even be bothered going into it

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    The guy is a half wit. There's that much wrong with that side that I can't even be bothered going into it
    I'm with you, that's a farce

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Some Wednesday evening light humour...

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...e-four-nations
    Not a total disaster given his logic. Obviously any sane man would include the NRL lads, but Clarke isn't that, so hardly a surprise. He actually named Percival and deserves credit for that. No Currie is the real bizarre omission.

I'd go with:

Lomax/Tomkins (shoot out for the rest of the season), McGilvary, Watkins, Percival (if fit), Hall, Williams, Gale, Graham, Hodgson/Houghton, S Burgess, Bateman, Whitehead, Currie with subs of Roby, G Burgess, Farrell and Hill.

I'd have Hardaker in squad and he'd come in at centre if Percival was unfit. Walmsley and Taylor I'd have around as well as O'Loughlin. Widdop back up half back, Clark or Hodgson/Houghton as hookers (plenty of options there). I'd take Greenwood for experience too.

Learning All The Songs

Looking at the team the first thing that stands out is the lightweight back row. I don't think Farrell or Westerman have earned the right to play there this year. Regarding Batemen good player that he is would serve better at centre with Watkins. He is a little light for international rugby. Tomkins is another living on his reputation you just have to play the Hull fullback. Also Houghton has been outstanding at hooker this year and I would be looking at one or two in the Hull pack to play alongside him and Roby.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

That is the laziest effort at picking an England side ive ever seen. Im not sure he's even give it any thought!!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    That is the laziest effort at picking an England side ive ever seen. Im not sure he's even give it any thought!!
    To say AN Other as the 17th man is as lazy as you get, like a fan picking a 17 on a forum and can't be bothered thinking of another player! Sam Tomkins is playing nowhere near good enough for a shirt at the moment and Sarginson has had an average season, both according to a Wigan friend of mine

Quote Originally Posted by teddlyf View Post
    Not a total disaster given his logic. Obviously any sane man would include the NRL lads, but Clarke isn't that, so hardly a surprise. He actually named Percival and deserves credit for that. No Currie is the real bizarre omission.

I'd go with:

Lomax/Tomkins (shoot out for the rest of the season), McGilvary, Watkins, Percival (if fit), Hall, Williams, Gale, Graham, Hodgson/Houghton, S Burgess, Bateman, Whitehead, Currie with subs of Roby, G Burgess, Farrell and Hill.

I'd have Hardaker in squad and he'd come in at centre if Percival was unfit. Walmsley and Taylor I'd have around as well as O'Loughlin. Widdop back up half back, Clark or Hodgson/Houghton as hookers (plenty of options there). I'd take Greenwood for experience too.
    Agree with your team except I think I'd give Greenwood a shot on the bench instead of Farrell, more of a strike player which England lack

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    To say AN Other as the 17th man is as lazy as you get, like a fan picking a 17 on a forum and can't be bothered thinking of another player! Sam Tomkins is playing nowhere near good enough for a shirt at the moment and Sarginson has had an average season, both according to a Wigan friend of mine
    Tomkins is carrying a knock, this week off might be a blessing. Sarginson is garbage, none of his wingers get any tries when playing outside him

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Exactly. Top rugby league pundit can't even name a full 17. The AN Other makes the sport look ridiculously amateur. Phil Clarke is a top drawer plank.

I agree with your other post regarding Greenwood. I don't mind Farrell but he's missed half the season!! Greenwood should be in that squad for me.

Learning All The Songs

Exactly. Top rugby league pundit can't even name a full 17. The AN Other makes the sport look ridiculously amateur. Phil Clarke is a top drawer plank.

I agree with your other post regarding Greenwood. I don't mind Farrell but he's missed half the season!! Greenwood should be in that squad for me.

How can a top rugby league pundit who gets paid handsomely (I'd imagine) not be up to date with how the English lads in the NRL are going?
    Graham S.Burgess and Hodgson I'd imagine will certainly be in the 17. I know Burgess hasn't been great but he's still miles Infront of Westerman.
    The fact he can't pick a 17th man is totally and utterly embarrassing. Ben Currie should also 100% be in there

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Anyone picking Sarginson in the centre for England immediately confirms their bias in my book. It's tough picking an England team at present because some of the usuals are playing in the middle 8's. I don't think England are in a position to ignore them however. I'd go...

Lomax

McGillvray
    Watkins
    Percival
    Hall

S. Tomkins
    Widdop

Graham
    Hodgson
    S. Burgess
    Currie
    Whitehead
    Bateman

Hill
    G. Burgess
    Taylor
    Roby

Lomax is quite simply the best full back in the country now. He's surprised me with how well he's come back but there is not a full back with the combined passing/running threat he possesses anywhere now, even Tomkins. Nevertheless, I'd want Tomkins in there. Williams hasn't done enough for me and so I'm prepared to shift Tomkins into 6, where I fancy he'll end up soon anyhow for Wigan. Gale would worry me at Test level and Widdop is capable of that steady organising role and has plenty of top level experience so I'd try him at 7. Percival and Watkins are no brainers if fit - the best two centres we've got. Same on the wing although if Manfredi were fit, he'd be pipping McGillvray.

Forwards. Can't ignore the form of Hodgson and Roby has gone backwards for me. Still, his threat out of acting half late on would see him get a spot on the bench. Props pick themselves for me. Currie has come on a lot and is ahead of Greenwood in size and development at this point. Farrell simply isn't big enough for this level. Whitehead I've rated for a long while whilst Bateman is the obvious heir to O'Loughlin at 13 and his feistiness is perfect for this level of rugby.

Lots will disagree but I'd be looking at something like this. Whichever way we look at it, the halves are where our issues are at present.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

As others have said, it's so ridiculous it's not even worth debating. This useless idiot works 2 or 3 days a week and earns more than most of us. Also supposed to passionate about rugby league never mind the fact it's his effing job. I'd absolutely love to have 16 hours free a week to watch the NRL, even less needed if you just watch the 6 teams with English players.

I can just about put up with the usual bias from the sky muppets but this is a new low of stupidity and laziness from a so called professional.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

Although not physically possible the team SS has picked would beat Clarkes team which really shows up his ability as a pundit.

I would probably put Hardaker at full back but all the rest is spot on.

I agree i like the look of SS team.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Anyone picking Sarginson in the centre for England immediately confirms their bias in my book. It's tough picking an England team at present because some of the usuals are playing in the middle 8's. I don't think England are in a position to ignore them however. I'd go...

Lomax

McGillvray
    Watkins
    Percival
    Hall

S. Tomkins
    Widdop

Graham
    Hodgson
    S. Burgess
    Currie
    Whitehead
    Bateman

Hill
    G. Burgess
    Taylor
    Roby

Lomax is quite simply the best full back in the country now. He's surprised me with how well he's come back but there is not a full back with the combined passing/running threat he possesses anywhere now, even Tomkins. Nevertheless, I'd want Tomkins in there. Williams hasn't done enough for me and so I'm prepared to shift Tomkins into 6, where I fancy he'll end up soon anyhow for Wigan. Gale would worry me at Test level and Widdop is capable of that steady organising role and has plenty of top level experience so I'd try him at 7. Percival and Watkins are no brainers if fit - the best two centres we've got. Same on the wing although if Manfredi were fit, he'd be pipping McGillvray.

Forwards. Can't ignore the form of Hodgson and Roby has gone backwards for me. Still, his threat out of acting half late on would see him get a spot on the bench. Props pick themselves for me. Currie has come on a lot and is ahead of Greenwood in size and development at this point. Farrell simply isn't big enough for this level. Whitehead I've rated for a long while whilst Bateman is the obvious heir to O'Loughlin at 13 and his feistiness is perfect for this level of rugby.

Lots will disagree but I'd be looking at something like this. Whichever way we look at it, the halves are where our issues are at present.
    A lot better effort than what Clarke musters up. The only issue I have is Widdop who is a constant underperformer and has done little to suggest he is a genuine quality half back. Even his club form has been poor this year. Unfortunately the riposte to this is 'well, who else is there..?' This is symptomatic of how mundane the game has become in Britain and the total lack of intelligent half backs. I woder if Sneyd is a dark horse though

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    A lot better effort than what Clarke musters up. The only issue I have is Widdop who is a constant underperformer and has done little to suggest he is a genuine quality half back. Even his club form has been poor this year. Unfortunately the riposte to this is 'well, who else is there..?' This is symptomatic of how mundane the game has become in Britain and the total lack of intelligent half backs. I woder if Sneyd is a dark horse though
    Gale is the one for me. 35 try assists this year. Closest is 25. Deserves a go.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Gale is the one for me. 35 try assists this year. Closest is 25. Deserves a go.
    Can understand that; for me it's just his defence that worries plus Cas are able to play 'unstructured' rugby which allows Gale to really thrive. I'm not sure that's possible at Test level, which is why I'd just plump for Widdop although I agree with the frailties mentioned above. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gale given a chance though - he deserves it. All this does is highlight our real problem in producing proper scrum halves.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Can understand that; for me it's just his defence that worries plus Cas are able to play 'unstructured' rugby which allows Gale to really thrive. I'm not sure that's possible at Test level, which is why I'd just plump for Widdop although I agree with the frailties mentioned above. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Gale given a chance though - he deserves it. All this does is highlight our real problem in producing proper scrum halves.
    Well it should have been Brough for the past what, 5 years? But yeah, McBanana

Got A Season Ticket

More than just lazy journalism, also contradictory. He picks Sarginson over "Cunjoe"(!) due to Cudjoe playing in the qualifiers and doesn't think you can jump from there to Internationals, yet picks McGilvary, Watkins and Hall - last time I looked they were playing in the qualifiers as well.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I started disagreeing as soon as I got to Tomkins at fullback but then he trumped that with Sarginson who even the Wigan fans don't rate. Ludicrous idea to pick an England team devoid of NRL players anyway because that just isn't going to happen and if it somehow does we won't be in the shake-up.
    I love the laziness if the article - I don't know if Solomona is eligible and I don't know who is eligible in the NRL so rather than find out, I'll present you with this incoherent babble. His inconsistency on players in the Super 8s is hilarious. As for Sarginson, dear oh dear.

Tool.

Got A Season Ticket

I stopped reading after Sarginson.

I hope we end up with something like this:

Lomax
    Mcgilvary
    Watkins
    Percival
    Burgess
    Williams
    Widdop
    Graham
    Hodgson
    Hill
    Whitehead
    Currie
    Sam Burgess

George Burgess
    Mike Cooper
    Roby
    Bateman

Really promising group of young English players this one. Especially when the likes of Sam Tomkins, Hall, Sutcliffe, Ratchford, Gale, Greenwood, Walmsley, Taylor, T. Burgess, Farrell and Watts are all missing.

The only thing that's missing is a proper organising 7, with Williams and Widdop both being runners. We struggled against NZ without one which ended up with our mate Matty Smith being put in for the final game to do a solid job steering the team around.

Manfredi would've been in for Burgess if he wasn't injured. Manfredi and Burgess will be the best pair of wingers in any team next year.

No contest for fullback at present, I cant believe how well Lomax has recovered from a 2 year lay off.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Starman View Post
    I stopped reading after Sarginson.

Manfredi would've been in for Burgess if he wasn't injured. Manfredi and Burgess will be the best pair of wingers in any team next year.
    Hasn't Burgess had a shocker this year?

Hasn't Burgess had a shocker this year?
    The Best Burgess brother has been Tom!! George has struggled with injury and poor form and Sam has been poor. I think Sam has been trying too hard forcing passes etc. He literally drops the ball 3-4 times a game.

Learning All The Songs

The Best Burgess brother has been Tom!! George has struggled with injury and poor form and Sam has been poor. I think Sam has been trying too hard forcing passes etc. He literally drops the ball 3-4 times a game.
    I meant the winger, but I am aware the other Burgess boys haven't been up to much either