Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Could this have repercussions in League?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Default Could this have repercussions in League?

Cillian Willis: Former Sale Sharks player is to sue club over concussions - http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37173849

Starting A Programme Collection

I struggle with this one - maybe people from the past but anybody now going into contact sport should know what they are letting themselves in for.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Cillian Willis: Former Sale Sharks player is to sue club over concussions - http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37173849
    it sounds more like this is a case of a single act of negligence, rather than just a general action over career long damage. I presume he is going to contend that they forced him to stay on the field after the first injury, rather than letting him come off and then he sustained further injury.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    it sounds more like this is a case of a single act of negligence, rather than just a general action over career long damage. I presume he is going to contend that they forced him to stay on the field after the first injury, rather than letting him come off and then he sustained further injury.
    I agree it certainly does - I think our sport has improved immeasurably recently with the treatment of concussion & head injuries.

In The South Stand

I don't think it will effect league at all. We stop for head injuries and the team dr's take off any player who might be hurt for tests. There was a thing on premier sports between programs the other week about concusion in league, the players said the best thing that happened was taking the choice to stay on the field out of the players hands.

Unbelievably its also happening in wrestling(I know it isn't a sport and its fake)a lot of wrestlers taking the WWE to court over care after concussions.

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    I struggle with this one - maybe people from the past but anybody now going into contact sport should know what they are letting themselves in for.
    I fully agree with this - I play at a decent amateur level currently and am fully aware of the risks each week when I go out onto the field. The day when the risks of playing outweigh the enjoyment is the day I will call time and retire. I'm a big boy and am very capable of saying no to playing if I am not fully fit (even at pro level, if a player isnt fit enough to play the club cant make him).

It would be sad to see players go down this route following concussion injuries and could cause serious problems for both codes of rugby if it was to become the norm.

Shaun Briscoe and Lance Hohaia have both alleged in recent times that they have been put under pressure to play when they do not feel that they are in a suitable condition to play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/34315593
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/35854619

It's an interesting point, I don't think anyone wants to see club's getting sued, and without being on the inside of the clubs, we don't really know what goes on.

In The South Stand

I think it will inevitably affect league as it will all sports. Where there is money there is greed, where there is the potential for money there is always a queue of greedy and immoral people waiting for their share.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    Unbelievably its also happening in wrestling(I know it isn't a sport and its fake)a lot of wrestlers taking the WWE to court over care after concussions.

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk
    Its not really that unbelievable. Although its scripted and largely planned ahead there is a definate physical element to it. In previous years things like Steel Chair shots to the skull were commonplace and they were real steel chairs on real skulls and the former wrestlers are suggesting their concussion type symptons were ignored by Medics. Chair shots to the head are now banned for this reason. Daniel Bryan had to retire after having repeating concussionlike symptons so the risk is still real.

In WWE though you can plan around it ie banning chair shots and certain head attacks not so much in real sport were the risk is probably higher and it isn't staged.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk