Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: The loss... Not so bad

Noooobie

Default The loss... Not so bad

Does anyone else feel a slightest bit of relief in losing? After all if we come in the top 4 and get Wigan in the semi final / grand final, if the pattern continues were due a win!!!

We should never feel good about losing.

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

I felt bad about losing but worse about the way we played failing to do the basics .Even when we got into decent positions we took poor options or dropped the ball pigan were bad we were terrible .

The loss was terrible to watch. I don't feel good about that. But I get the sentiment that we lost without our strike centre, playmaker and a weakened front row. Despite that we had lots of possession and territory - Wigan were not impressive at all, we were just worse.
    So if we face them in a semi, or at O.T. I would feel very confident and would have no fears - on balance, both teams at full strength and playing well, we would beat them. So not too concerned at the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

It was a real throw back to earlier in the season,forcing drop outs time after time but looking clueless near the line and to many errors.

Noooobie

I didn't say it felt good, I was saying it's not all bad losing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Those of us of a certain vintage, with teenage years scarred by a 27-0 defeat by Wigan, aren't likely to be happy with a 25-0. It was too similar not to bring back ghastly memories.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Those of us of a certain vintage, with teenage years scarred by a 27-0 defeat by Wigan, aren't likely to be happy with a 25-0. It was too similar not to bring back ghastly memories.
    Indeed.

ANY loss to Wigan is grievous
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Statistically we needed a loss.......to continue the winning run upto and including the Grand Final would have meant a 14 match winning run.........statistically unlikely......similarly if we had won at Wigan last night then had to beat them in the semi or Grand Final would mean beating them 3 times on the run again statistically unlikely.

So we take the loss, have a week off then regroup and push on .

See every cloud has a silver lining :-)

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

It's just made 4th a more likely finish rather than 3rd, however anyone would have bitten your hand off for that a couple of months ago.
    A win against Hull and we'll be confident again.

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Indeed.

ANY loss to Wigan is grievous
    To be nilled by any team is a ghastly experience for any fan

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Starting A Programme Collection

OH yes I remember that day we'll still have nightmares! Sang until I was completely hoarse - didn't help much

Can honestly say it was the worst day of my life- and the Gavin Murray coach broke down on the M1 on the way back. Murphy put the whole team on the transfer list on the Monday morning I think.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Can honestly say it was the worst day of my life- and the Gavin Murray coach broke down on the M1 on the way back. Murphy put the whole team on the transfer list on the Monday morning I think.
    I won the sweep on the Lance Todd Trophy. It softened the blow a little. Got my entire day's costs back!

I'd forgotten about that traditional Murphy moment. Of course nobody wanted any of them after that so we got lumbered with them.

People who have only heard about this game and were never there will NEVER comprehend why it still scars us so much. In this day and age, 27-0 doesn't sound like a massive embarrassment, but it was the manner of the whole thing. For a start, we'd beaten them at Central Park a week earlier, and after beating huge favourites Widnes in the semi-final, we all genuinely believed we could do it. Then, not only did we get drubbed and nilled by a Wigan side that didn't actually get out of first gear all day, we hardly saw out a set of six and penetrated their 20 metre line once in the whole game (then dropped it straightaway). And all that was in front of the nation, on BBC, at a time when the Challenge Cup was ten times more important to everyone that it is now. I've seen us lose 70-0 and not be as bad.

Yet the following week, we took about 4-5,000 to Widnes for the Premiership Semi-Final; and we got spanked again - but at least we scored and I seem to remember a mini-pitch invasion as Bernard Dwyer made it 6-6! :-)
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scrogger View Post
    The loss was terrible to watch. I don't feel good about that. But I get the sentiment that we lost without our strike centre, playmaker and a weakened front row. Despite that we had lots of possession and territory - Wigan were not impressive at all, we were just worse.
    So if we face them in a semi, or at O.T. I would feel very confident and would have no fears - on balance, both teams at full strength and playing well, we would beat them. So not too concerned at the loss.
    I agree with you Scrogger, Saints shouldn't feel too despondent over the loss, particularly with the key players missing. But it should serve as a reality check for the club, because of the reasons you say- plenty of field position, but didn't threaten the line enough. And to be fair to Cunningham, he has said all the right things in his post match interview, about 'not falling in love with ourselves' following the run of good results. And reading some of his comments about players the club is trying to sign for next season, he seems to have recognised the need to bring in some quality into the side too.

Regards,

STEVO

Got A Replica Shirt saint at wire's Avatar

No.

The only good thing was seeing the wire fans I was watching the game with look alomost as gutted.

Learning All The Songs

Only Bernard Dwyer came out with any dignity after doing over 50 tackles in the match then copping a heavy shoulder near the end of the match from Andy Platt (I think) and almost getting knocked out cold.