Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891525 ... LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith set to return to St Helens

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    Sorry but it's another backward step. We are definitely going the wrong way as a club.
    To my mind now, it's who we recruit to play alongside steady eddie, a good skillfull centre minimum requirement.
    We can all moan (me included) but Cunningham, Long, Rush, must know what he brings to the team,they must have a plan to whom they want to recruit to play alogside him.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    One thing about Johnny Smith who I do know well he certainly isn't GUTLESS.
    No, youre right , Johnny was a tough, nuggety player on the few occasions I saw him! Are you really Denis Lithrland?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Having read kc's nonsensical rave about Smith, I wonder how much we can blame Mike Rush for this one.
    Rush and Dunders share the same braincells. All six of them!
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Can you blame him though after the way he was treated at the time ? Willing to play for us but we put our eggs in the eastmond basket, loaned out but then good enough to be brought back for the playoffs and grand final, then let go. Now we need to see who else we sign .
    Unfortunately, professional sport is a cut-throat industry. There's nothing Matty Smith can complain about with "treatment." He simply was not good enough and there were better players than him in the team and the youth system, so he was let go. I despise Eastmond but there's no chance on earth that Smith is better than Eastmond at anything when it comes to rugby league.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Spent more time looking at the blank white screen before typing than you could imagine which pretty much sums it up. I just can't find anything positive to say about this 'alleged deal'.

4 years at 29, do we ever learn?

Smith just doesn't get me worried at all when he touches the ball, simple, no nonsense no frills half back. A great club like our own and the majority of SL clubs offer more attacking threat from their 7 they we will have, I despair.

I want to be positive I really do

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Spent more time looking at the blank white screen before typing than you could imagine which pretty much sums it up. I just can't find anything positive to say about this 'alleged deal'.

4 years at 29, do we ever learn?

Smith just doesn't get me worried at all when he touches the ball, simple, no nonsense no frills half back. A great club like our own and the majority of SL clubs offer more attacking threat from their 7 they we will have, I despair.

I want to be positive I really do
    He's got a cracking inside ball on him ...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Can't add too much to the many good posts in here.

Utterly dreadful signing on many levels. What it tells me now is that we do not have the ambition or the desire to improve. We have signed a steady-eddie scrum half who is inferior in nearly every respect to our current 7, and we have given him a 4 year deal which obviously means we have no ambition or desire to see if a better 7 will come our way in 2018, 19 or even 2020. He is our 7 for the next 4 seasons, that is our level now, that is our lack of ambition.

The last 6 weeks has actually given us a little bit of hope and a little bit of naive optimism that our coach had changed his mind about 'structures' and 'grind'. But he hasn't, because Smith is the stereotypical 'get it, pass it, or if on the 4th, kick it long' scrum half. He is average in everything he does, but average is good enough for us now.

I knew us finishing 4th would give the club the justification for thinking that the crap we've had to endure this season was actually good enough. It has given them the justification for thinking that a plodder like Smith is good enough for our club. Everything we do now is mediocre, just doing enough and proclaiming it as wonderful. And too many of us have let them get away with it by saying that players like Smith are decent signing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Can you blame him though after the way he was treated at the time ? Willing to play for us but we put our eggs in the eastmond basket, loaned out but then good enough to be brought back for the playoffs and grand final, then let go. Now we need to see who else we sign .
    And, hung out to dry in the press by Daniel Anderson, after kicking a touchline conversion to win a semi final; when I think he was about 19.

No there wasn't but that's not the point im making is it ?
    I know, but Smith should hardly felt done to - the reality is he did not impress as much as other half backs when he got his opportunities which is why he was moved on and with regards to the 2010 play offs if I remember correctly he had already signed permanently for Salford before he was recalled for the play offs so I don't see any problems with how he was treated by the club

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

Utterly dreadful signing on many levels. What it tells me now is that we do not have the ambition or the desire to improve. We have signed a steady-eddie scrum half who is inferior in nearly every respect to our current 7, and we have given him a 4 year deal which obviously means we have no ambition or desire to see if a better 7 will come our way in 2018, 19 or even 2020. He is our 7 for the next 4 seasons, that is our level now, that is our lack of ambition.

The last 6 weeks has actually given us a little bit of hope and a little bit of naive optimism that our coach had changed his mind about 'structures' and 'grind'. But he hasn't, because Smith is the stereotypical 'get it, pass it, or if on the 4th, kick it long' scrum half. He is average in everything he does, but average is good enough for us now.

I knew us finishing 4th would give the club the justification for thinking that the crap we've had to endure this season was actually good enough. It has given them the justification for thinking that a plodder like Smith is good enough for our club. Everything we do now is mediocre, just doing enough and proclaiming it as wonderful. And too many of us have let them get away with it by saying that players like Smith are decent signing.
    Everything you said. Spot on.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    No, youre right , Johnny was a tough, nuggety player on the few occasions I saw him! Are you really Denis Lithrland?
    Nope , I never said I was Denis , I am who I say I am no AKA's for me Saint .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Can I ask why were judging a player on his performances in 2009? I got jumped on for supposedly judging the potential TL signing on his performances 2 years ago!

The reality is we don't know whether the coach and structure is stifling Wigans attack or Smiths perceived "inabilities" over the last 2 years - I suspect its chicken and egg, but we don't know unless we give him free range
    Cleverly done. I like that one!

Starting A Programme Collection

Another depressing angle to this....

Anyone who said, "Danny Richardson is our long term scrum half and Smith is just a stop gap..."

We just signed that stop gap on a 4 year contract.

Lovely.

Also this would be yet another signing who Sean Long has coached in a previous role

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post

Spot on Gray. Imo this year was the clubs opportunity to show they have learned from their mistakes in recruitment but they haven't. Its obvious this is their way forward.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Smith has played plenty of matches this year for Wigan. Let me remind everyone they finished above us in the league. Wigan are not a charity they did not play him out of the goodness of there hearts. They played him because he did a job for them. He will not be the worst signing we have made in the last few years. He will probably one of the better ones. He is an international player unlike many of our current squad. It has been said that currently we only have Roby who is international quality. I don't think he will set the world on fire but with the right players around him he has a decent kicking game and is an honest pro. Personally i think he will link up well with Fages.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dunderhead View Post
    Also this would be yet another signing who Sean Long has coached in a previous role
    Last half back he signed from a previous club worked out terribly, didn't it?

(Just for balance, Smith is a poor signing unless we've spent all the Walsh money on a top class centre/forward)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

4 years?????????
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

We have,at times,been awful this season and I suppose we were all expecting something of a brighter future,well mugged into thinking it anyway. Smith isn't a great start(if its true),would we all be happy by chucking in three good signings along side? probably...but the record of recruitment at the club is disastrous and me personally have zero faith in the clubs recruitment to bring in these players.

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Lets hope we've signed Greg Ingles ( or very similar ) and a flying winger , then I can see the thinking behind sign Smith !

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    My husband to be is a Wigan supporter, he can't believe we have signed him, in fact he is getting on my ruddy nerves with his laughing,(we get married in Paphos next Wednesday and if he carries on, that may be in doubt, smug sod) he has been saying for weeks that Saints aren't stupid enough to sign him and it's a smokescreen for a top flight scrum half, his words not mine, he goes missing in big games not because of bottle, more the fact he is not very good.

He was convinced he would be going to Salford, Wakefield, his level.

The badge kissing is a pathetic thing brought from Football, means nothing he will be kissing our badge when he plays and that will mean nothing either.
    Sometimes its not always about rugby.

Best wishes on your forthcoming nuptials. I hope you will be very happy together and I'm sad for you that someone very important won't be there to give you away.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

What I want to know is Where is Saint Dan? I bet there's some party going on at his house.

Got A Season Ticket

I'm sorry if I've missed this in the myriad of posts on this thread, but, has anyone found this signing to be confirmed by saints or Smith or wiggin or on a social media site because I can't find it anywhere other than theSky Sports story that it was "close" to happening.
    I sincerely hope we are all panicking unnecessarily...

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    To my mind now, it's who we recruit to play alongside steady eddie, a good skillfull centre minimum requirement.
    We can all moan (me included) but Cunningham, Long, Rush, must know what he brings to the team,they must have a plan to whom they want to recruit to play alogside him.
    So far the jigsaw pieces are Smith, Tommy Lee and Ben Harrison , promised land here we c ome

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Signing

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesaintdave View Post
    I'm sorry if I've missed this in the myriad of posts on this thread, but, has anyone found this signing to be confirmed by saints or Smith or wiggin or on a social media site because I can't find it anywhere other than theSky Sports story that it was "close" to happening.
    I sincerely hope we are all panicking unnecessarily...
    It is also on the love Rugby League site but says as reported on Sky Sports and says an announcement is excepted later this week