Thread: Matty Smith set to return to St Helens

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Hes kicked more goals than Walsh this year
    And what? Does Walsh kick our goals? No

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    And what? Does Walsh kick our goals? No
    Walsh has kicked more goals than the rest of the team put together so far this season?

I could say Smith (73%) kicks more accurately than Percival (71%) if thats better, given Percival did the kicking last week

Got A Season Ticket

It is a shocking signing if true. Makes the Hohiah signing look positively sensible. We really have lost the plot as a club on signings and retention in the last 5 years. Depressing

Got A Season Ticket

It's the coach that dictates the attack maybe his ability has been stifled by Wigan, at least he is not injury prone and still a lot better scrum half than Wilkinson

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Ok I'm not convinced, but I'm not going to hang out of a player before he has played a game. On the face of it it's not a good signing, but I will make a judgement after (if he signs) he has played a few games for the club. I support the club not individual players.
    I take your point, but we don't need to see him play a few games. We've seen plenty of Smith , both at the Pies and in his previous spell with us. We know what we're getting, and it's dreadfully disappointing.

In fact, I'm having as the most underwhelming signing in my time of supporting the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    My favourite bit was 'he has a sound fitness level'.
    Meaning he has a good injury record- as opposed to Walsh. He seems to be reasonably injury-free. A good goal-kicker is also an asset - if Percival gets injured we will need one.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Walsh has kicked more goals than the rest of the team put together so far this season?

I could say Smith (73%) kicks more accurately than Percival (71%) if thats better, given Percival did the kicking last week
    Woopy do.. does that make Smith a good signing.. Absolutely not

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    Let's just hope this is the worst signing for next year and that the others are better.
    Now there's a glass half full kinda guy

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    I take your point, but we don't need to see him play a few games. We've seen plenty of Smith , both at the Pies and in his previous spell with us. We know what we're getting, and it's dreadfully disappointing.

In fact, I'm having as the most underwhelming signing in my time of supporting the club.
    Can I ask why were judging a player on his performances in 2009? I got jumped on for supposedly judging the potential TL signing on his performances 2 years ago!

The reality is we don't know whether the coach and structure is stifling Wigans attack or Smiths perceived "inabilities" over the last 2 years - I suspect its chicken and egg, but we don't know unless we give him free range

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Woopy do.. does that make Smith a good signing.. Absolutely not
    I am not suggesting it does or it doesn't. I am suggesting that the person suggesting he kicks goals was correct.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Ok I'm not convinced, but I'm not going to hang out of a player before he has played a game. On the face of it it's not a good signing, but I will make a judgement after (if he signs) he has played a few games for the club. I support the club not individual players.
    You've been saying that an awful lot recently. And he's already played games for us. He wasn't good enough then and he's not good enough now. He's not a gamble on a player with potential. He's a bang average player who isn't wanted by his existing club despite being in contract with them.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Could be wrong but I make it Walsh 80%, Percy 79%, Smith 74%?

In The South Stand

I was just thinking that if enough pages of vitriol played some part in at least delaying the Tommy Lee deal, is there anything we can do about this outrage?.
    Got to be worth trying. He's not a player that is going to improve us, he's not a 'promised land' signing. The fact that Wigan don't want him speaks volumes given he's just moving into his supposed prime. Another lead weight around the squad, another uninspiring signing.

I suspect though that after all the guff coming out of the club over the last few years and the fact we've won a few recently will leave most fans in a malaise about this.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Meaning he has a good injury record- as opposed to Walsh. He seems to be reasonably injury-free. A good goal-kicker is also an asset - if Percival gets injured we will need one.
    Let's ignore his actual game on the pitch then, at least he can be the 2nd choice goal-kicker

Learning All The Songs

My friend the Wiganer despairs about his goal kicking ability. She says that she would always have preferred Charnley to be their kicker

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Well I wonder how many more rejects are GOOD friends with one of our coaches ????? .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Not the return of the messiah but probably better than Johnny Smith.

Banned

Cunningham, Rush, McManus... go f*** yourselves, you bunch of clueless idiots.

4 years of mediocrity beckons. Just when there seemed to be a silver lining to the dull, one-dimensional dross we've suffered this season, the tw*ts do this to us.

Injuries are mostly down to luck and a good injury record could count for nothing in a single moment. However, taking your point on board I think even if he stays fit his arrival is fairly catastrophic. He's just not good enough and four years is far too long to give to any 29 year-old in any case. I'm not sold on his goal-kicking. I remember him missing a hilariously easy one in front of me during the 2014 Grand Final but regardless, this isn't yawnion. Goal-kicking is not a priority when you are signing a supposedly creative player.
    Your point about injuries could apply to anyone- from Jonathan Thurston onwards. Considering we were turned down by Leulai who else was available realistically? I agree that he's not a world-beater but in the current climate the club obviously see him as a good replacement for Walsh.

I'm not going to criticise the lad himself as a 4 year contract at his age is a great opportunity, he'd be crazy not to sign for us

However as far as Saints are concerned it's possibly the maddest signing in my time supporting the club. A player that's already arguably failed at Saints, played for our biggest rivals and rubbed it in our faces in it and is now going to replace one of the best 7s in the comp

After all the stick KC has had this is a massive gamble as the majority of fans will be against the move and Smith will be under intense scrutiny and pressure from Day 1

If it happens we have to win something next season

Learning All The Songs

Not overjoyed with it but let's give him a chance on the field before we lay into him.

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Bordering on neglect. Four years of that carthorse unwilling or unable to take on the line. Shudder to think how he'll be in 2021. The signing epitomises our complete inability to consistently attract players in the last few years & smacks of a complete lack of ambition. I never envisaged a time I wouldn't be a STH at Saints but I just feel we're having the •••• took out of us.

The upbeat rubbish by a few on here is laughable he creates nothing & can't run with the ball. We needed a maverick with pace to spice up our attack & were given him on a FOUR year deal. We were over a barrel & desperate for a half but had more than enough time to get something that resembled decent. We're being turned into a robotic, boring, rigid team that churns out results. Im sick to death of hearing the term arm wrestle since this clown took over. We're in an entertainment business & this year irrespective of a few good wins recently just like the GF win that papered over then cracks were going in the wrong direction.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    not overjoyed with it but let's give him a chance on the field before we lay into him.
    no

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Well that's a shock

Got A Replica Shirt

Don't think I'll ever forgive him for bashing that horrendous thing on his chest after he scored during the Good Friday game.

If it is true I assume the signing was done ages ago as on current form he's been absolutely woeful. He's been Mr Telegraph in that boring one dimensional Wigan attack for a few years now. What little creativity he's had has probably gone. He's got no bottle as demonstrated with his poor decision making and goal kicking.

My only hope is he's been hindered on account of Wane's awful attacking tactics recently.

Plus he's been in close proximity to the likes of Tomkins and Bateman so that's enough to not want him anywhere near the club.