Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Football Thread - 2016/17

Banned

I see 'the Ev' have given Pat Butcher the boot. Pity, he had them playing great football.

Paves the way for the Moysiah. Problem is, though, there's no more playing assets to sell to fund the recruitment of more mediocre/past-it players. So Moshi-lad's 'emperor's new clothes' trick is going to be exposed.

Never posted on the footy thread before as a lapsed fan from many years (Spurs since I was ten year old). But went to watch Spurs v Real Madrid last night. My wife bought me a surprise. Really enjoyed it. Great game and atmosphere from a full house. Had great seats. Not sure I'm back into it, but might do the odd Spurs game now. My son is a Spurs season ticket holder so can get tickets. Have to say Spurs looked really good. Good to see young English players such as Ali, Trippier and Winks doing well. Kane in the flesh is such a powerful player. Anyway off to get an up to date Spurs top.
    Think my last one might have Martin Chivers on it.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Glory hunter!

Good game to pick for your first one back. I always liked Spurs as a kid because of that awesome Hummel/Holsten kit, Glenn Hoddle's volley against United where he had both feet off the ground (as beautiful a goal as you will ever see) and the interview with Waddle when they asked about the free kick he scored and he said something like "I don't know, I just tw@tted it to be honest"

The fact that they were never serious rivals and always gave us 3 points was nice too

A chastening experience for United yesterday. I like Jose but his record away against the Top 6 both with us and his second spell at Chelsea is very hard to defend. I feel his apathy is now transmitting to the players. His heart doesn't look in it anymore and his flirting with PSG was poorly timed. Once again Lukaku failed to score and looks completely devoid of any confidence.

I can see Lukaku benched when Ibrahimovic returns and regains his match fitness. However I will also say that since Pogba has been injured we have stopped playing to his strengths. It was no coincidence that our best football was with Pogba playing. He gave Lukaku passes in behind the defenders and allowed him to roll them also. Now we are humping long balls to him or playing it to his feet in tight situations and his hold up play is awful (unlike Ibra's which is one of his strengths)

City even at this stage look unstoppable. I know they had a great start last season and faltered but they are a different animal this season IMO, look better defensively and have a stronger squad. Worryingly I feel they will get even better. Taking away the Napoli A game where they were magnificent, they haven't been great of late yet annoyingly keep winning. The scoreline against Burnley flattered them, they were poor in the 2nd half of the Napoli game, struggled to beat Wolves and weren't all that fluent yesterday. By all accounts WBA A wasn't great either. They may have had their blip already!

Spurs at least now look to be getting used to Wembley and that win yesterday was vital. They ground it out. Liverpool continue to score at will yet I feel they will still fall short defensively when it matters.

Have to say as well hats off to Burnley. They are achieving incredible results compared to the size of their club and transfer spend.

It might only be early but I think city have shown enough to make it clear that no one is catching them. I do they they could have a blip but that blip might be one defeat and one draw and then they'll be back dominating everyone again. Can't see them losing more that 2 games and they might not even lose that many

Will be close between United, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal for 2nd place though

Mourinho is just not prepared to go away to a "big" team and have a go - he's happy with a 1-0 defeat or a 0-0 draw so he can claim it was an "even game". I knew United would lose 1-0 yesterday and said so even before the city game kicked off

We might be well set up for knockout football over 2 legs though as our home record will always give us a chance

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    . I knew United would lose 1-0 yesterday and said so even before the city game kicked off
    Its a shame you didn't bet on it... I know you wouldn't have because betting is for chavs