Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Levy Nzoungou

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Whatever the situation, if players such as Levy - who plays in a position where maturity as a player is traditionally only achieved later than his age - are released without being given an opportunity to develop further, I'd scrap the reserve team. I was really pleased when it was reinstated, giving first team players a competitive return to fitness and as a proving ground for younger players, but there are a fair few journeymen in that team who won't make first team, but no indication of them being released.
    Very disappointed.
    But let's be clear, the reserves ISNT a catch all designed for Saints to stack players who showed a spark at 16, but not shown any progress since. If in the two years he's shown no willingness/ ability to work on the weak sides of his game, giving him another 2 years in the reserves won't make difference. What the reserve does is allow us to keep players like Bailey and Wellington who aren't physically ready for first grade but have shown enough dedication/ ability to continue to invest in.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    But let's be clear, the reserves ISNT a catch all designed for Saints to stack players who showed a spark at 16, but not shown any progress since. If in the two years he's shown no willingness/ ability to work on the weak sides of his game, giving him another 2 years in the reserves won't make difference. What the reserve does is allow us to keep players like Bailey and Wellington who aren't physically ready for first grade but have shown enough dedication/ ability to continue to invest in.
    I know where you are coming from, but explain why then the reserves contain much older players who never in a month of Sundays are going to play first team?
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I know where you are coming from, but explain why then the reserves contain much older players who never in a month of Sundays are going to play first team?
    We brought in a couple of older players to add some experience and leadership to what is a very young group. They are going to be coming up against older, well-established players who are out of form or coming back from injury so the club felt we needed a couple of older heads to help the younger lads out.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    We brought in a couple of older players to add some experience and leadership to what is a very young group. They are going to be coming up against olde, established players who are out of form or coming back from injury so the club felt we needed a couple of older heads to help the younger lads.
    And I may be wrong, but don't they also do alot of work for the club and getting the reserves involved at a community level?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    And I may be wrong, but don't they also do alot of work for the club and getting the reserves involved at a community level?
    I'm not sure of the exact details mate to be honest but yeah they do quite a bit of stuff off the field I believe.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Before we completely give up on this lad - would it not be worth giving him 20mins first team in place of Richards, possibly in the game against Wakey or Widnes ?

Sink or swim - see what he's made of.

Because let's be fair Richards is offering very little, and if nothing else it might be a good break for him (plus a kick up the arse). He did seem to respond to his last demotion to reserves with decent performances mainly at Wakey. Also give him a week off as back to back games he could be struggling with.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    Before we completely give up on this lad - would it not be worth giving him 20mins first team in place of Richards, possibly in the game against Wakey or Widnes ?

Sink or swim - see what he's made of.

Because let's be fair Richards is offering very little, and if nothing else it might be a good break for him (plus a kick up the arse). He did seem to respond to his last demotion to reserves with decent performances mainly at Wakey. Also give him a week off as back to back games he could be struggling with.
    Whether people think he could make it or not, I think everyone would agree first team is way beyond him at this time..

It would be unfair on the lad, he'd no doubt spectacularly 'sink'

At least the lad I saw last night with his name on their home shirt would get some use out of it

Starting A Programme Collection

He must have been thought capable as he is in the first team squad. Nurturing doesn't seem to be a thing the club do well. If it's supposedly one person as has been suggested that's made the decision then what kind of dictatorship are we running.

Whatever the situation, if players such as Levy - who plays in a position where maturity as a player is traditionally only achieved later than his age - are released without being given an opportunity to develop further, I'd scrap the reserve team. I was really pleased when it was reinstated, giving first team players a competitive return to fitness and as a proving ground for younger players, but there are a fair few journeymen in that team who won't make first team, but no indication of them being released.
    Very disappointed.
    One of the main reasons for having a reserve side, apart from allowing clubs to retain young players who no longer qualify for the 19s, is to assist the development of such players by having them learn alongside physically mature, experienced team members. Given salary cap restrictions, alongside the normal financial constraints of any business, it is impossible to fill the reserve side only with first team quality players alongside the kids, hence the need to employ journeymen. On any given day, therefore, the reserve team will comprise a mix of people aged around 19, the odd out-of-favour or returning-from-injury first teamer and a few journeymen. By omitting these latter players, you would in effect be playing a team mostly of 19 year olds against opponents of a similar makeup if identical attitudes prevailed elsewhere, in which case the whole point of a reserve side would be negated.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Nurturing doesn't seem to be a thing the club do well.
    Lomax, Swift, Percival, Roby, Thompson, Richards, Knowles, Greenwood (from last night's team) plus Makinson must all be fluke then

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Lomax, Swift, Percival, Roby, Thompson, Richards, Knowles, Greenwood (from last night's team) plus Makinson must all be fluke then
    Derek Traynor and the others involved in the coaching and development of the u19s are excellent, no question whatsoever about this. I am sure they have a massive input into decisions as they transition beyond u19.
    On this one though, and as I've mentioned before, I'm sure other non-rugby factors have impacted.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Derek Traynor and the others involved in the coaching and development of the u19s are excellent, no question whatsoever about this. I am sure they have a massive input into decisions as they transition beyond u19.
    On this one though, and as I've mentioned before, I'm sure other non-rugby factors have impacted.
    But that's the same for everyone, I'm not saying this of Levy, however if a player is lazy off the field, doesn't eat properly, like a drink, doesn't put the extra hours in, that matters

Having watched the NRL rookie (I know they had drama for TV) but one got binned for ignoring a curfew, another because he was lying in most mornings

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Non rugby factors such as what ? Rather than constantly hinting as to why a club with a very successful record in developing and giving youngsters an opportunity has decided that Levy may not make it with us at first team level, why not tell us all specifically, what it is you're getting at.

The club has made what is a perfectly acceptable and normal decision about a youngster - people are paid to make these calls across sporting clubs and organisations the world over. Suggesting there's any more to it than the boy's sporting ability is nonsense.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    We brought in a couple of older players to add some experience and leadership to what is a very young group. They are going to be coming up against older, well-established players who are out of form or coming back from injury so the club felt we needed a couple of older heads to help the younger lads out.
    That was what I expect was supposed to happen. In reality it hasn't. I was at the Wigan v Hull reserves game last weekend, Wigan fielded only two players (Marshall and Waterworth) who were outside the U19's age group, and they were in that group last year. There were quite a few first year (U17's) in the team.
    The whole reserves setup needs a good looking at from an RFL point of view.

Personally I would go with U16's, U18's and U23's (with 3 players max overage in that U23 's group)

The fact that the reserves at present only play about once every month or so does nothing for the competition.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    That was what I expect was supposed to happen. In reality it hasn't. I was at the Wigan v Hull reserves game last weekend, Wigan fielded only two players (Marshall and Waterworth) who were outside the U19's age group, and they were in that group last year. There were quite a few first year (U17's) in the team.
    The whole reserves setup needs a good looking at from an RFL point of view.

Personally I would go with U16's, U18's and U23's (with 3 players max overage in that U23 's group)

The fact that the reserves at present only play about once every month or so does nothing for the competition.
    Totally agree with this. If the RFL stick with the reserves then the comp needs to expand at least, otherwise I think it will just fizzle out. Although, I haven't heard anything about any other superleague teams fielding a reserve team for next year.

With regards to Levi, I think saints were too quick to offer him a first team contract, in the first place, based on just one U19's game. Should have just had him on a 19's contract like most others. I'm interested to know who made the decision not to give him a new contract. Would have thought this was KC's and / or Derek T's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Non rugby factors such as what ? Rather than constantly hinting as to why a club with a very successful record in developing and giving youngsters an opportunity has decided that Levy may not make it with us at first team level, why not tell us all specifically, what it is you're getting at.

The club has made what is a perfectly acceptable and normal decision about a youngster - people are paid to make these calls across sporting clubs and organisations the world over. Suggesting there's any more to it than the boy's sporting ability is nonsense.
    OK pal, everything I've been saying is a load of bollocks, and you've forgotten more about rugby than even Keiron Cunningham ever knew.

I bow to your much superior knowledge and stand chastened.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Signed for Hull FC on a 2yr deal.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    Signed for Hull FC on a 2yr deal.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk
    Wasn't he at Salford? Has he played lately?

Radford must see something in him to give him 2 years.
    Good luck to the lad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    Radford must see something in him to give him 2 years.
    A YouTube video of one of our Academy games 3 or 4 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    A YouTube video of one of our Academy games 3 or 4 years ago?
    May just have reached Yarkshire by now I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Wasn't he at Salford? Has he played lately?
    He played against Catalans in July in a televised game. I was expecting him to stand out for at least a few minutes, assuming he’d be up for a game in France, but have to say that he did nothing. He didn’t make himself available for any drives on the first few tackles of each set and he seemed incapable of stopping anyone in the tackle without the assistance of a teammate. It made me think Saints had done well not to persevere with him especially when you see the effort that Lees puts into everything.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Been released by Hull FC, looks like Saints were right to let him go. Been released by all other clubs he's subsequently been too.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    Been released by Hull FC, looks like Saints were right to let him go. Been released by all other clubs he's subsequently been too.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    To be fair to the lad no ones really given him a chance. Apparently he played very well on dual reg for Doncaster. SL
    Clubs are signing him as 6th choice prop cover. I think he needs to play in the championship for a half decent club to prove his ability one way or another.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTSAM View Post
    To be fair to the lad no ones really given him a chance. Apparently he played very well on dual reg for Doncaster. SL
    Clubs are signing him as 6th choice prop cover. I think he needs to play in the championship for a half decent club to prove his ability one way or another.
    He has been at several clubs how has he not had a chance?