Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Levy Nzoungou

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 141 View Post
    I don't want us to sign Smith, I think Soward is a better option. But you're absolutely laughably deluded if you think that a player who is the incumbent England scrum-half (and man of the match in England's last game), a Lance Todd Trophy winner and multiple time Dream Team member "isn't good enough" or is no better than when he was in our reserves in 2007. Matty Smith has personally achieved more than anyone in our squad apart from Roby and Wilkin who were here during the good old days. Just admit you don't like him because he's succeeded at our rivals.
    I admit i don't like him because he is a very average scrum half and that is being kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I'm not sure I buy this story.

I can't comment on the player as I've not seen enough but I don't believe the Club gets rid of young players by text
    If you ever get the chance to speak to Ray French ask him to tell you the story of how he found out he was going out the door.

I am sure they didn't text Levy to tell him that he was being released. Maybe they text him to ask him to contact the club so that they could discuss the situation with him.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    I admit i don't like him because he is a very average scrum half and that is being kind.

True. You don't hang around at Crusaders and Salford for a few years if you are a world beater.

I don't think he would improve us, so with that in mind I would take a punt on one of our young players.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Sorry missed your point.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    If you ever get the chance to speak to Ray French ask him to tell you the story of how he found out he was going out the door.

I am sure they didn't text Levy to tell him that he was being released. Maybe they text him to ask him to contact the club so that they could discuss the situation with him.
    The club did not, and still has not, spoken to Levy personally.

And yes 141, I believe that to be the case, as ridiculous as that may seem at a professional sports club.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Noooobie

I happen to know that he was given assurances by KC a few weeks ago that he had nothing to worry about in terms of his contract being renewed and they definitely didn't (and haven't) personally spoken to him about this matter. It was left to his agent to break the news to him. Shocking lack of foresight from the club and a clear demonstration of short term thinking. No way we should be showing him the door, great talent for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sam4731 View Post
    I happen to know that he was given assurances by KC a few weeks ago that he had nothing to worry about in terms of his contract being renewed and they definitely didn't (and haven't) personally spoken to him about this matter. It was left to his agent to break the news to him. Shocking lack of foresight from the club and a clear demonstration of short term thinking. No way we should be showing him the door, great talent for the future.
    Absolutely spot on.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Got A Season Ticket

Not good enough for Saints but good enough for one of the best clubs in the NRL !!!

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Eclipse View Post
    Not good enough for Saints but good enough for one of the best clubs in the NRL !!!
    An NRL structure is more likely to turn his raw talent into a quality forward.

Learning All The Songs

Where as our dumpling of a coach would turn him into an ineffectual prop-cum-second-rower.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by sam4731 View Post
    Cunningham Long and Rushy boy should hang their heads in shame, They are dragging the club down in all aspects of being a professional organisation, all self praise and back slapping each other, Cunningham did not have a word for the Fans in the Sky interview after the pies game, its time Mr Mac grew a pair and got rid of the boys from the Black Stuff who don't give a monkeys about the fans, it seems they have started to treat the younger players the same.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Before everyone erupts and starts burning effigies of KC, have people actually seen him play ?

Admittedly I'm not an avid follower of the U19's or Reserves but in the games I've watched he's been decidedly hit & miss.
    He's made some great runs, bursting through tackles and scoring try's, which is great, but he makes so many basic errors that is undoes much of his good work. His ball control is really poor and he makes some stupid offloads, he also goes missing for large parts of games, often going 2-3 sets without taking the ball in. For a big lad his defence also needs quite a lot of work.

He has some undoubted talent and has shown a lot of promise but he also has a long way to go yet before he's 1st team material. Personally I would have liked to have kept him for another year or 2 to see if they can improve the area's he needs work, but I don't think we should be slagging off the club for releasing a player who's nowhere near the 1st team.

Plus we also don't know Levy's side of things. He may wants to go back to France, or he may feel he's ready for 1st team while the club doesn't so he wants to move on so he can play 1st team ? At this stage we just don't know.
    Seen him play... rare talent... real prospect.

I've never seen him play, so I can't comment on whether it is the right decision to release him. I do generally trust the club to make the correct decisions in terms of retaining or releasing young players. Over the 20 years I've watched Saints, I can't immediately bring to mind a young player that we have released that has gone on bite us on the backside.

However, if it is true that he or any other player is told of their release by text or via an agent or not in person, then that's yet another really disappointing thing to hear about how the club's internal processes and day to day running.

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Default Levy Nzoungou

Quote Originally Posted by Benidorm John View Post
    Cunningham Long and Rushy boy should hang their heads in shame, They are dragging the club down in all aspects of being a professional organisation, all self praise and back slapping each other, Cunningham did not have a word for the Fans in the Sky interview after the pies game, its time Mr Mac grew a pair and got rid of the boys from the Black Stuff who don't give a monkeys about the fans, it seems they have started to treat the younger players the same.
    Listen, I'm all for people having opinions good or bad, but seriously... Is KC meant to say in every single post match interview the fans have been great? There's been numerous interviews where he's praised he travelling support.

As for Levy, I'm pretty sure all the Academy staff will have had a say and an input on whether he's good enough. I'll trust their judgment regarding our young players potential ability rather than those who most have never seen play in the flesh more than 80mins a world beater.

Am I in a position myself to judge? No cos it's rare I get to see the kids play, though I attended the Wire reserve game last week and He didn't stand out.... But like I say - that's one 80min game.

Some kids will stay, some will go. That's life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 141 View Post
    Crazy if an 18 year old with this amount of potential is being released without even giving him a chance. England Academy coaches were raving about him, the Aussies were raving about him during the tour last year. Looking at what's happened to Savelio he's probably better away from Saints to be honest.
    It would surprise me (again if true) if Saints are letting him go, particularly given the way Cunningham has spoken about the benefits of the new reserve team structure for allowing youngsters time to develop into the early 20's. The kid is only 17-18 isn't he? He looks a raw diamond from the footage I've seen of him, certainly one worth giving more time. Of course I say this from the outside looking in.

Regards,

STEVO

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    Listen, I'm all for people having opinions good or bad, but seriously... Is KC meant to say in every single post match interview the fans have been great? There's been numerous interviews where he's praised he travelling support.

As for Levy, I'm pretty sure all the Academy staff will have had a say and an input on whether he's good enough. I'll trust their judgment regarding our young players potential ability rather than those who most have never seen play in the flesh more than 80mins a world beater.

Am I in a position myself to judge? No cos it's rare I get to see the kids play, though I attended the Wire reserve game last week and He didn't stand out.... But like I say - that's one 80min game.

He is well thought of by the u19s coaching staff and was told only a couple of weeks ago by Cunningham that he had nothing to worry about.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to trust me that I know this is fact.

One person, and one person alone, decided he was not being retained.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post

Well Well, sorry but I didn't realise that I had to obtain your permission to post on here, so to avoid any confusion you don't have permission to comment on my posts, jog on and write KC his get well cards. Sorry but that's life!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benidorm John View Post

Well Well, sorry but I didn't realise that I had to obtain your permission to post on here, so to avoid any confusion you don't have permission to comment on my posts, jog on and write KC his get well cards. Sorry but that's life!!!
    Next time you try and pick a fight with the editor of the site, at least use the quote function properly.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

I've seen him a few times and I've spoken to someone who has watched Levy in every game he's played. To quote "he's more miss than hit. He can score the try of the game and then goes missing for 5 sets. His handling ability is questionable and he throws wild offloads"

These things may not sound like much but trust me, the coaching staff at academy/reserve level will have weekly video sessions with him to show him the good and bad. He is expected to minimise the bad from week to week and show that he's listening and learning. If he doesn't (which it seems he hasn't) he won't last in the Saints system. Whether you agree or disagree, if he's been released, it will be his own doing. He will have had plenty of chances to prove he's going to live up to his potential.

Starting A Programme Collection

from the little ive seen hes got size speed and power. thats a great basis to build on. Maybe he makes too many mistakes maybe he doesn't have a good enough rugby brain but these things tend to develop with age and experience no??

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    I've seen him a few times and I've spoken to someone who has watched Levy in every game he's played. To quote "he's more miss than hit. He can score the try of the game and then goes missing for 5 sets. His handling ability is questionable and he throws wild offloads"

These things may not sound like much but trust me, the coaching staff at academy/reserve level will have weekly video sessions with him to show him the good and bad. He is expected to minimise the bad from week to week and show that he's listening and learning. If he doesn't (which it seems he hasn't) he won't last in the Saints system. Whether you agree or disagree, if he's been released, it will be his own doing. He will have had plenty of chances to prove he's going to live up to his potential.
    Correct. The above almost replicates my last entry re Levy. ( I have seen almost all his games) So glad someone else has seen the same. I wonder if this topic for some is not so much about Levy being cut (if true) but more about some just wanting to find another reason to have a pop at KC.
    If Levy is cut and later turns out to be a good player somewhere else, well that's life. You win some you lose some. All clubs have cut youngsters who perform better elsewhere. Maybe Levy getting cut will give him more motivation to do better.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Correct. The above almost replicates my last entry re Levy. ( I have seen almost all his games) So glad someone else has seen the same. I wonder if this topic for some is not so much about Levy being cut (if true) but more about some just wanting to find another reason to have a pop at KC.
    If Levy is cut and later turns out to be a good player somewhere else, well that's life. You win some you lose some. All clubs have cut youngsters who perform better elsewhere. Maybe Levy getting cut will give him more motivation to do better.
    Even if you think he's been hit and miss, how is there any sense in releasing an 18 year old prop who clearly has a huge amount of potential after just one season when the club is literally paying 30 year old guys like Tony Suffolk and Tommy Connick to fill up the reserves team?

I see your point, you cannot make judgments regarding the club on one offs, like a single player succeeding or failing. We should see how others like Richardson and Wellington do then draw our conclusions. If and when a number of players are released and/or alienated then the club then go on to become great players elsewhere, then the club needs to be accountable.

However it is a shame that a player that seemed quite exciting has fallen at the first hurdle.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I agree with The Chief's post above.

As is the case with any sport, young guys are let go frequently. Some of careers elsewhere, some don't but you have to make a decision sometimes.

He's a good athlete with a personality but his core skills are poor and he doesn't look as though he fully understands the game. Off the ball he isn't great and his consistency within games is an issue as was pointed out earlier. He does some good things but he won't back them up and he'll put other guys under pressure.

The issue I'd say with him is lack of improvement. He doesn't look to be progressing and we have a young set of forwards already. There are players alongside him who are progressing and are doing well and he seems to be stalling. That's where I'd say the issue is.

He's a likeable character who made a big life change to come to the club but it doesn't always work out. That's my take on it anyway having watched him play.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 3rd August 2016 at 18:06.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Correct. The above almost replicates my last entry re Levy. ( I have seen almost all his games) So glad someone else has seen the same. I wonder if this topic for some is not so much about Levy being cut (if true) but more about some just wanting to find another reason to have a pop at KC. If Levy is cut and later turns out to be a good player somewhere else, well that's life. You win some you lose some. All clubs have cut youngsters who perform better elsewhere. Maybe Levy getting cut will give him more motivation to do better.
    The highlighted part is where you have nailed it; the same people want a stick to beat the club with and when we've won a few on the bounce, they need something new and this gives them that chance.

Strikes me that pretty much everyone that has seen this boy regularly has no qualms with the club's decision. It is those that have seen him once or sporadically that are moaning. I know whose side I'd favour.