Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super 8 Fixtures

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The sooner the Challenge Cup Final gets moved back to May the better.
    Disagree there. It was always 2 weeks before the Championship Final.

The reason it was in May was that we played September to May.

When we played in the winter would you have wanted it in October/November?
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    Disagree there. It was always 2 weeks before the Championship Final.

The reason it was in May was that we played September to May.

When we played in the winter would you have wanted it in October/November?
    I liked it in May too. Split the season up nicely so there were must win games throughout. Also rewarded the side that started on fire rather than just the side that peaked late on. Also, we had a final when the weather was better and when all the other big events are on terrestrial TV so we shared status with the other big sports.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Thursday 4th August - Warrington away (SKY)
    Friday 12th August- Catalans home (SKY)
    Friday 19th August - Wigan away (SKY)
    Thursday 1st September or Friday 2nd September - Hull home (SKY)
    Friday 9th September - Castleford home
    Sunday 18th September - Widnes away
    Friday 23rd September - Wakefield home
    I like the fixtures for a few reasons, aside from the fortuitous Challenge Cup timings.

Mainly that if we're to be taken seriously, we're going to have to prove it consistently and games against Wire, Wigan and Hull in the first four weeks give us that chance. We'll know one way or another whether we have a real chance at the end of that period. Secondly, those 'tougher' games come at the start where we're on a decent run of form. Then, our final three represent 'easier' games, which should we have come through the first 4 well enough, will give us a good chance to build confidence going into the semis.

I'd like to see us come out of the first four with at least 4 points and good, competitive performances in all four. If we get battered at either Wigan or Wire, I fear the season's done with anyway. One thing is for sure though, those fixtures give us a massive chance of this season being meaningful, it's up to us to show we're up to it.

Learning All The Songs

Finishing in the top four after all these extra games would be awful. I'd sooner see us slip to 6th or 7th, then something might be done to start sorting things out on and off the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Finishing in the top four after all these extra games would be awful. I'd sooner see us slip to 6th or 7th, then something might be done to start sorting things out on and off the pitch.
    Sorry - I don't understand how anyone would think that finishing in the Top 4 at the end would be "awful". I've been as unhappy as anyone with the stuff we've served up this year but if we end up as Champions I'll be very happy!! In any event, do you really think that finishing 6th or 7th would trigger a major shake up - there's no evidence to suggest that the Chairman would even think about it!

I'm just grateful that we're still in the mix considering some of the tripe we've served up this year

Learning All The Songs

Which team do you support? Obviously not Saints

In The South Stand

Yeah it would be truly awful to make the playoffs. Much better to pretend we're still in the middle of our slump so we have something to complain about.

The thought of competing for another championship makes me sick, I would hate Lomax, Roby, Percy etc to have any success in the red vee the wasters.

Learning All The Songs

I'd rather we won the thing, learn from the diabolical first half of the season, build a stronger club and win it again next year to be honest. Struggling to understand the mentality that winning and improving have to be mutually exclusive

In The South Stand

What? This is a wind up, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    What? This is a wind up, right?
    He/she is basically saying its painting over the cracks if we are do well in the play offs. They might be right to a certain extent.