Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Salary cap changes.

In The South Stand

I wonder how we will waste that extra money?

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    I wonder how we will waste that extra money?

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk
    Extra money? The cap is staying the same for Superleague.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Garbage again, How will increasing the likes of Workington for example salary cap help them compete. You put a cap in place to level SL. It becomes out of date as it stays the same for 15 years so what do we do. Not raise it, no.. We raise all lower levels cap which then causes an elitist competition were the weak are left behind... Guess what, the very reason the cap was brought in to stop

Got A Season Ticket

Clubs have to be sustainable and even with the current cap, very few are. Saints are just about breaking even for once, but we are in a minority. Until clubs can break even then the salary cap should remain, or else we will lose more clubs to bankruptcy and generally perpetuate the idea that they can borrow forever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    Clubs have to be sustainable and even with the current cap, very few are. Saints are just about breaking even for once, but we are in a minority. Until clubs can break even then the salary cap should remain, or else we will lose more clubs to bankruptcy and generally perpetuate the idea that they can borrow forever.
    Would that be such a bad thing?

I would prefer to have an elitest league where clubs can all compete. If that means we drop to a 10 team Superleague then so be it. For me that would be a much better option. If we had 10 sides who could all spend 2.5m - 3m and be able to afford it then we would get a far higher standard of rugby than we currently see.

This is the only sport in the world that panders to the worst clubs rather than the best and the spectacle as a whole has been massively damaged

I get the impression that this cap raise for the lower leagues is to give teams a chance to get a fighting chance to get into the super league. The current playoffs give little chance of a championship team making it due to lack of quality players.
    Which ever system you will always have winners and losers. Only time will tell if it works.
    The other reason might be that the RFL wants some lower clubs to fail and they can then reduce the amount of teams by either merging some teams or just letting them disappear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post

I would prefer to have an elitest league where clubs can all compete. If that means we drop to a 10 team Superleague then so be it. For me that would be a much better option. If we had 10 sides who could all spend 2.5m - 3m and be able to afford it then we would get a far higher standard of rugby than we currently see.

This is the only sport in the world that panders to the worst clubs rather than the best and the spectacle as a whole has been massively damaged
    If your senario happened the sport would be dead within 10 years.The challenge cup would be a thing of the past.I bet you wouldn't be posting this if you supported Wakefield,Salford,but that's a typical Wiganer think only of yourself not as the game as a whole,as you did i believe in the eighties,when you were the only professional club and won everything.

Got A Season Ticket

That is my whole point. There are not 10 sides in the league that can afford to spend so much. Saints can't. Wigan certainly can't. Leeds are the richest club and even they are struggling. If we were allowed to pay more, wages would rise across the board. The current players would get better off with no improvement in the standard. And we would see the odd extra mercenary coming in for a pay off.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

This had to happen.

Given the huge disparity at the moment between Super League and the rest in terms of the money they can spend on the squad, the Middle-Eights is nothing but a farce.

This is the only way that we'll ever see the likes of Leigh, London, Bradford, Featherstone and Halifax compete.

It's too late for this year, in my opinion, but next year Leigh can have a real go at building a team that is capable of promotion.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    This had to happen.

Given the huge disparity at the moment between Super League and the rest in terms of the money they can spend on the squad, the Middle-Eights is nothing but a farce.

This is the only way that we'll ever see the likes of Leigh, London, Bradford, Featherstone and Halifax compete.

It's too late for this year, in my opinion, but next year Leigh can have a real go at building a team that is capable of promotion.
    What about allowing your named sides above including Toronto & Toulouse who could also spend 1.85 of all is to be believed into SL? The rest won't/can't spend that and will form their own leagues. It's like banning Flower for 6 months with 3 months of no rugby in the off season, for the majority of clubs this means absolutely nothing but being able to compete with the above even less than they can now

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    If your senario happened the sport would be dead within 10 years.The challenge cup would be a thing of the past.I bet you wouldn't be posting this if you supported Wakefield,Salford,but that's a typical Wiganer think only of yourself not as the game as a whole,as you did i believe in the eighties,when you were the only professional club and won everything.
    The challenge cup is dying anyway. four games to win it? Its a farce.

The game is going to be dead anyway within 10 years the way it is going. Year on year the skill level decreases.

As for the same players getting more money. With less teams they will be able to have more of the better players in each side automatically making the sides better and the competition stronger.

Your point about Wakefield or Salford fans is exactly my point. Everyone wants to make sure the worst sides can compete with the top. Why? If they want to compete they will need to have a strong academy rather than cherry pick the top 4s rejects and struggle year on year.

Banned

The challenge cup is dying anyway. four games to win it? Its a farce.

The game is going to be dead anyway within 10 years the way it is going. Year on year the skill level decreases.

As for the same players getting more money. With less teams they will be able to have more of the better players in each side automatically making the sides better and the competition stronger.

Your point about Wakefield or Salford fans is exactly my point. Everyone wants to make sure the worst sides can compete with the top. Why? If they want to compete they will need to have a strong academy rather than cherry pick the top 4s rejects and struggle year on year.
    You won't be saying that when you play your semi final next week,it will be the biggest cup in the game,the game is more than just the top teams,it's about a town's identity in a lot of cases,nobody in the UK would ever had heard of Wigan without Rugby League,St Helens was Synonymous with Pilkingtons.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    You won't be saying that when you play your semi final next week,it will be the biggest cup in the game,the game is more than just the top teams,it's about a town's identity in a lot of cases,nobody in the UK would ever had heard of Wigan without Rugby League,St Helens was Synonymous with Pilkingtons.
    Next week is a big game, but the current format is a joke. 2 games before the semis? The beauty of the cup used to be that the lower league sides could cause an upset but lets be honest since SL I bet the number of lower league sides to beat a superleague side is single figures. I know Leigh beat Wakefield last year and I remember someone beating Cas but the playing field hasn't been even and it has lost a lot of its magic.

Times have changed and the game is dying IMO

Banned

Next week is a big game, but the current format is a joke. 2 games before the semis? The beauty of the cup used to be that the lower league sides could cause an upset but lets be honest since SL I bet the number of lower league sides to beat a superleague side is single figures. I know Leigh beat Wakefield last year and I remember someone beating Cas but the playing field hasn't been even and it has lost a lot of its magic.

Thought so

Got A Season Ticket

The same could be said about footballs FA cup too!

From the outside, all we see is the competition, the spectacle. But in reality, it is an industry that pays the careers of many people. Supplies many towns with much needed revenue. Especially since many of the clubs are working class towns with very little to bring people in other than rugby.

After all, what is there to do in St Helens, Wigan, Wakefield, Widnes, Warrington if no rugby clubs? Losing a couple of clubs, is losing hundreds of jobs.

Even if we ignore all this, where does the extra cash at the clubs come from? Lets say we all agree to pay the higher ticket prices, and crowds don't continue to fall. How does this actually improve the game? Being able to pay Australian players, and Australian coaches? Even for the top clubs, it will lower the opportunities for the local players also.

Banned

Bring back framing for the future and make Wakey spend some money improving that tip for visiting fans. Salford where pushed into leaving the Willows which has nearly and I have been told will eventually see them off. Let teams with facilities including Leigh and Fev spend more and cap Wakey and Cas, to be fair to HKR they are at least having a go, which leaves less in the short term for players. The governing body are a joke led by the biggest joker since Billy Bunter.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    This had to happen.

Agreed. It will also open the door for any chairman with a bit of money in their pocket to set their stall out and aim for super league. It would probably be doable from pretty much scratch within a short time frame, never mind the likes of the clubs you mention. I'm sure Toulouse will fancy their chances too