Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Savelio

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Key point.

They do have a use, but they can be misleading. A player may only miss 4 tackles during a game but if they are five metres away from your own try line and a try is scored, there's an issue there that may not be reflected in the stats. Our goal line defence played a big role in us winning the game at Wigan.

Attack is a big one as well, especially try assists. For example, against Huddersfield Jon Wilkin takes a pass from first receiver, runs at the line really hard, sucks in three defenders and gives the ball out the back to Luke Walsh. Walsh then isolates the defender, creates a 2 v 1 and sends LMS over for a try. Wilkin may not get the assist but it's a good attacking play. The dummy half pass is another really, you'll see a 9 fire a pass out that gets the half back on the out side shoulder and sucks in that extra defender that creates an overlap, for example.

Generally though, with forwards and their contributions with the ball it is fairly accurate when it comes to the hard yards and carrying the ball. That's what your props are judged on in essence. Richards has been improving but is struggling a bit as we can see from the stats above. He needs a big pre season IMO and next year will be a big one for him.
    Yeah I think the stats are useless for half backs but very telling for forwards, centres and wingers especially.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Stats are so misleading, they don't count the number of times Richards is left on the floor in a tackle and unable to get up and at marker or the times he leaves a gap so wide he cant even attempt a tackle.
    The amount of metres he makes per carry is also the worst of all the forwards
    this....or the countless times that opposition players just run straight past Vea that won't be counted in the missed tackle stats.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Learning All The Songs

I think Saint's where conned a bit to pay over the odds to retain Savelio. I honestly think there is improvement in the player but it is obvious not with Saint's. I would say from reports on this site regarding his performance in the Reserves he has burnt his boat's with the coaching staff here. For me even in dispute you should always give 100% for whatever the team you are selected for. In Savelio it has not been the case, so I would have no regrets on seeing the back of him and his agent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    I think Saint's where conned a bit to pay over the odds to retain Savelio. I honestly think there is improvement in the player but it is obvious not with Saint's. I would say from reports on this site regarding his performance in the Reserves he has burnt his boat's with the coaching staff here. For me even in dispute you should always give 100% for whatever the team you are selected for. In Savelio it has not been the case, so I would have no regrets on seeing the back of him and his agent.
    Agree it's called being a professional, sadly a good player he may be, but professional he certainly isn't.

Banned

Who compared him to SBW?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Who compared him to SBW?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
    It appears his agent did but has made it out to be people of influence in the game over here.

What this whole sorry saga does for me is further highlight the importance of a young player choosing the best possible management/agent. In the space of two seasons, this guy will have unsettled a young player who has come through the junior system, banded him around in order to boost his value to saints, pocketed a nice commission after he signed his new and vastly improved contract before then touting him to any NRL club that will listen in order to....you guessed it.....pocket another load of commission.

All this will be sold to the player (and presumably his family) as being in his best interests, when really it may not be.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    It appears his agent did but has made it out to be people of influence in the game over here.

What this whole sorry saga does for me is further highlight the importance of a young player choosing the best possible management/agent. In the space of two seasons, this guy will have unsettled a young player who has come through the junior system, banded him around in order to boost his value to saints, pocketed a nice commission after he signed his new and vastly improved contract before then touting him to any NRL club that will listen in order to....you guessed it.....pocket another load of commission.

All this will be sold to the player (and presumably his family) as being in his best interests, when really it may not be.
    Isn't that the case with all agents? Didn't Martin Offiah do the same with Kyle Eastmond?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMiners View Post
    Isn't that the case with all agents? Didn't Martin Offiah do the same with Kyle Eastmond?
    Who? Kyle Eastmond the England RU regular & household name?

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Who? Kyle Eastmond the England RU regular & household name?
    I must have missed him being a regular, he barely ever get picked for England and has just left Bath to move to Cov Wasps

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    I must have missed him being a regular, he barely ever get picked for England and has just left Bath to move to Cov Wasps
    That was rather the point of the other guy's post

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    That was rather the point of the other guy's post
    Oops!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMiners View Post
    Eastmond had ditched Offiah for a 'management company' and there lies the problem

Offiah said on Sky at the time he should stay in rugby league

Got A Replica Shirt

I only found out this season that tackle statistics include every player in the tackle
    So if there are three players in the tackle, each gets credited with a tackle

This is how Vea & Tasi improve their statistics

Numerous times this season I've seen Tasi join in the tackle as third man and merely push the player to the ground or lean on the tackle, I bet he does this 10 times per game, whereas Roby and Wilkin primarily are first into the tackle

Its quite frustrating to watch Tasi, whoever taught him how to make your stats look good has done a good job

Another way of getting your stats up is to carry the ball first man after a kick off or from a drop out, you can usually get a free 10+ meters every time before you get to anybody

I also see Tasi's been credited with 5 busts, I just can't remember 1

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by GOOFSWOOP View Post
    I only found out this season that tackle statistics include every player in the tackle

Numerous times this season I've seen Tasi join in the tackle as third man and merely push the player to the ground or lean on the tackle, I bet he does this 10 times per game, whereas Roby and Wilkin primarily are first into the tackle

Its quite frustrating to watch Tasi, whoever taught him how to make your stats look good has done a good job

Another way of getting your stats up is to carry the ball first man after a kick off or from a drop out, you can usually get a free 10+ meters every time before you get to anybody

maybe he's like scaramanga ?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Greg Richards has 15 tackle busts. Literally never seen him break anything other than a sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    maybe he's like scaramanga ?
    Or the lady from the bar in Total Recall?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Greg Richards has 15 tackle busts. Literally never seen him break anything other than a sweat.
    Try at Wakefield for starters!

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

I'd be amazed if player gave any thought to their stats during a match.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Yeah. I always look for the first forward in the metres gained for that very reason.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    Interesting comments. Don't suppose Saints were too chuffed at being told by an up and coming player which position he should play in. Would still like to see his return though.

In The West Stand

Good interview from him. World apart from his agents comments.

It will be interesting to see if he can hold down a backrow role at Cas, if he can theres a strong argument to say he could here!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Really don't know what to make of this. Is he really wanting to come back and give it a go or is it just a fishing trip? Don't know why he wouldn't be confident at prop. I can understand him having a different preferred position, but to lack confidence to play there after the number of times he already has, doesn't sound right.

If he does come back with the right attitude it should be a win win for club and player.

Hope Daryl doesn't play him at prop.��

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Interesting comments. Don't suppose Saints were too chuffed at being told by an up and coming player which position he should play in. Would still like to see his return though.
    It doesn't say he demanded to play back row though? He could have mentioned that he doesn't like it there and doesn't feel confident. I'd say that's the right thing to do personally.

Sounds to me like he's just not part of Cunningham's clique and we all know that once out you are out forever.