Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saints v Wigan

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Tom Vol View Post
    Well it won't be Joel out for the season according to Wane.
    That's correct. Knee operation in the next week or so, then in around six weeks same operation on the other knee.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I said something similar last night mate. We have been crap this year but even if we did come good and won something some folk still wouldn't be happy about it.
    When Leeds decided to play for 6 weeks at the very end of the 2012 season and won the grand final tons of posters on here were waxing lyrical about how classy, talented and better than us they were. If we did the same thing this season the same people wouldn't give us a shred of credit. It would be 'everyone else is crap, the standard is crap, we exploited the system, we don't deserve it ' etc etc.
    I would go a step further and say that some people don't want us to win the title as they will have posted several negative comments on here and other social media sites (myself included) and winning the title will mean quickly looking to delete all those comments.

I wrote to EM earlier in the year and my final paragraph did say "having said all that, I hope you send me a picture of you with the SL trophy in early October"
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Some people cannot distinguish between fans being rightly critical and still being able to support the club ? I will be delighted if we won the GF and it would be a miracle but I still think we are right to criticise for some of the rubbish we have had to put up with this season and last.

But COYS come friday.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Some people cannot distinguish between fans being rightly critical and still being able to support the club ? I will be delighted if we won the GF and it would be a miracle but I still think we are right to criticise for some of the rubbish we have had to put up with this season and last.

But COYS come friday.
    Exactly

Some of those and I accept they are in the minority, never go and some even cough to not even watching.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post

But COYS come friday.
    You hear some extreme opinions Don, not always on here but if you look around social media and even after the game in pubs etc they are there. I've seen people say they'd rather us lose every game between now and the rest of the season if it meant seeing Cunningham sacked. Opinions like that are the ones that wind me up really, calling yourself a supporter of the club and then making comments like that doesn't really add up to me. Criticism is great, successful clubs are built on that sort of pressure because the day we don't criticise poor displays is the day where we accept them and see them as routine. There is clear talent in the team but for whatever reason we haven't found that consistency in our game and we all have our own opinions on why that is.

What I don't agree with is those who insult Cunningham though, wetting themselves over his quotes and what not. Insulting him with nicknames and things like that. The bloke was one of our greatest ever players and has a statue up outside the stadium. Criticise constructively by all means but abusing him in that manner is out of order in my opinion.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Agreed Tez. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism and it is a fans duty to both support and point out things when it goes wrong and it has in parts last season and this.But ultimately we all want our team to do well. The Saints job is a bit of a poisoned chalice really because we want principally entertaining RL and we have not been getting it. I am on record as saying that I am not KC's greatest fan as a coach and I believe that he should have been required to go away first and earn his spurs on a coaching basis.However it does not mean that I don't want him to turn it around and bring success in an exciting manner.

We had almost reached the stage where even the Wigan fans want him to stay. I hope he turns it round but if we finish outside the top 4 (which I still think will happen) then I do expect changes to be made which may or may not mean a change of coach.I don't want a baby/bathwater situation either.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    You hear some extreme opinions Don, not always on here but if you look around social media and even after the game in pubs etc they are there. I've seen people say they'd rather us lose every game between now and the rest of the season if it meant seeing Cunningham sacked. Opinions like that are the ones that wind me up really, calling yourself a supporter of the club and then making comments like that doesn't really add up to me. Criticism is great, successful clubs are built on that sort of pressure because the day we don't criticise poor displays is the day where we accept them and see them as routine. There is clear talent in the team but for whatever reason we haven't found that consistency in our game and we all have our own opinions on why that is.

What I don't agree with is those who insult Cunningham though, wetting themselves over his quotes and what not. Insulting him with nicknames and things like that. The bloke was one of our greatest ever players and has a statue up outside the stadium. Criticise constructively by all means but abusing him in that manner is out of order in my opinion.
    Nice to see an objective, non sarcastic assessment.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post

Spot on mate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    I would go a step further and say that some people don't want us to win the title as they will have posted several negative comments on here and other social media sites (myself included) and winning the title will mean quickly looking to delete all those comments.
    I'm only a very minor, occasional-posting pleb on here, but I am critical of Cunningham.

If we won the GF, I'd be delighted. But that wouldn't stop the realist in me knowing that Cunningham's one-dimensional rugby, his favouritism toward certain players, and his mismanagement of others will in all likelihood set the club back in the longer term.

I don't want to see the club pull off a miracle win as underdogs. I want us to be the dominant team in SuperLeague. Not winning everything, because such a level of dominance is harmful to the overall sport, but being the clear best in terms of winning silverware - like in the 96-08 period. Cunningham's style of rugby, his lack of ability in man-management, and his very poor eye for a player (if his recruitment up to now is anything to go by) will not bring those days back.

And I think the name-calling of Cunningham only started when he began making snide digs at fan-critics in his media interviews. You live by the sword, etc...

Noooobie

I really do fear that Wigan are going to tear us a new one tomorrow

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I really do fear that Wigan are going to tear us a new one tomorrow
    They're dreadful with the ball so I highly doubt it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    They're dreadful with the ball so I highly doubt it.
    Much improved with our first choice 1,6,7,13 on the pitch

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    So are most teams. Our first choice 1, 6, 7, 13 between them have only 5 more appearances than yours yet we've scored 99 more points and I think most people would agree we've been fairly average going forward to put it nicely.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    So are most teams. Our first choice 1, 6, 7, 13 between them have only 5 more appearances than yours yet we've scored 99 more points and I think most people would agree we've been fairly average going forward to put it nicely.
    I suppose we will see who is more dangerous tomorrow

Yes the team who scores the most points will probably win the game.

In The South Stand

Indeed but we won't have our first choice 1,6,7 partnership, so it will be meaningless by your logic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Indeed but we won't have our first choice 1,6,7 partnership, so it will be meaningless by your logic.
    Is Fages still out? to be honest if we can't beat you tomorrow we will have to rethink whether we are good enough to win anything this year

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Yes the team who scores the most points will probably win the game.
    You are Michael Owen, can I claim my tenner.

Banned

Is Fages still out? to be honest if we can't beat you tomorrow we will have to rethink whether we are good enough to win anything this year
    Mystic Meg here your not.

Quote Originally Posted by the priest View Post
    You are Michael Owen, can I claim my tenner.
    Yes. You can find my details through my twitter account.
    https://twitter.com/MrObviousOwen

Noooobie

Who's our first choice number 6 ??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Who's our first choice number 6 ??
    Ours would be George Williams, I imagine yours is Theo Fages

Noooobie

Ours would be George Williams, I imagine yours is Theo Fages
    Maybe, but neither are in the 19, so I find these posts a bit confusing !!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Maybe, but neither are in the 19, so I find these posts a bit confusing !!
    George Williams in the 19