Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saints v Wigan

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

SS is right about Wigan, but they still take some beating.
    Credit to them, despite injuries they always seem to tick over through the season and be there or thereabouts (making the last 3 grand finals). Having limited attack patterns and tight structure means that whoever slots in for injured players it doesn't seem to make much difference. They're probably the best drilled team in recent years, similar to Melbourne in the NRL.

Im not going to call Fridays game because you can't call a Saints Wigan game. Should be a good game.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    It's nice that's there's at least some positivity around here but some are jumping the gun big time.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
    Put me down as one of them,Love playing them love beating them,I watch the 2014 Grand Final and just

Got A Replica Shirt

Saints to win a close game by 5 top 4 here we come, COYS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smeethsaint View Post
    Saints to win a close game by 5 top 4 here we come, COYS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wigan by 30+
    Also dont buy the argument the Hull game will be on theri minds, i.e. the priority. On the contrary I think Wane will put it to the Wigan squad that the Saints game is about making a statement to Hull and competition for places.

Saints to be exposed again and shown as the bullies of the little leaguers that they are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Wigan by 30+
    Also dont buy the argument the Hull game will be on theri minds, i.e. the priority. On the contrary I think Wane will put it to the Wigan squad that the Saints game is about making a statement to Hull and competition for places.

Saints to be exposed again and shown as the bullies of the little leaguers that they are.
    Unbelievable

The club can't win at times. If we do win on Friday, it will just be because Wigan were looking to the semi final. If we make the top 4, it will be because everyone else is bad. If we go on an incredible run and win the championship, it will be because everyone else was poor. (To clarify, I don't think there is any chance at all of this happening)

In 2014, we won the league leaders shield, convincingly won our both of our play off games and won the Grand Final. In any system that could be implemented to decide a title winner, we would have won. Yet some still refused to say we deserved it because we played several crap games over the course of the year.

I'm not getting carried away with our last 4 wins. Yes, we have improved, but to challenge for the title, winning those 4 fixtures is unremarkable. Saying that, it is an improvement and the first time we have won 4 in a row all season. Hopefully it will give us belief to beat the bigger teams, and our first test is Friday.

As Tez the Saint said, if you can match Wigan's aggression, you're half way to beating them. The team (particularly the pack) need to play with an edge on Friday, match Wigan's aggression and don't back down when they start to play nasty

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    The club can't win at times.
    Agreed. That's been our biggest problem this year.

The club can't win at times. If we do win on Friday, it will just be because Wigan were looking to the semi final. If we make the top 4, it will be because everyone else is bad. If we go on an incredible run and win the championship, it will be because everyone else was poor.
    I said something similar last night mate. We have been crap this year but even if we did come good and won something some folk still wouldn't be happy about it.
    When Leeds decided to play for 6 weeks at the very end of the 2012 season and won the grand final tons of posters on here were waxing lyrical about how classy, talented and better than us they were. If we did the same thing this season the same people wouldn't give us a shred of credit. It would be 'everyone else is crap, the standard is crap, we exploited the system, we don't deserve it ' etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Agreed. That's been our biggest problem this year.
    lol

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

The club can't win at times. If we do win on Friday, it will just be because Wigan were looking to the semi final. If we make the top 4, it will be because everyone else is bad. If we go on an incredible run and win the championship, it will be because everyone else was poor. (To clarify, I don't think there is any chance at all of this happening)

In 2014, we won the league leaders shield, convincingly won our both of our play off games and won the Grand Final. In any system that could be implemented to decide a title winner, we would have won. Yet some still refused to say we deserved it because we played several crap games over the course of the year.

I'm not getting carried away with our last 4 wins. Yes, we have improved, but to challenge for the title, winning those 4 fixtures is unremarkable. Saying that, it is an improvement and the first time we have won 4 in a row all season. Hopefully it will give us belief to beat the bigger teams, and our first test is Friday.

As Tez the Saint said, if you can match Wigan's aggression, you're half way to beating them. The team (particularly the pack) need to play with an edge on Friday, match Wigan's aggression and don't back down when they start to play nasty

Too true.

Too True.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I believe Bateman is now very muscular, particularly between the ears.
    Are you suggesting he has a brain?

Learning All The Songs

[QUOTE=eddiewaringsflatcap;658889]Wigan by 30+

No chance!

Learning All The Songs

It's good to have Walsh back, I think he'll lead us to victory. It'll be interesting how many saints fans turn up, I cant see the away end being sold out. They will do well to get 19,000.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Wigan by 30+ Also dont buy the argument the Hull game will be on theri minds, i.e. the priority. On the contrary I think Wane will put it to the Wigan squad that the Saints game is about making a statement to Hull and competition for places. Saints to be exposed again and shown as the bullies of the little leaguers that they are.
    Thats a bold statement mate. Fair play. No fence sitting from you haha
    Last edited by fishy3005; 20th July 2016 at 09:04.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I hope Bateman loses his bottle.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

I see from the official Wigan site that they have sold over 17000 tickets for Friday's game. They add the worrying quote, "Over 16000 Wigan fans have bought tickets." Surely we have sold more than 1000!
    Last edited by stroger; 20th July 2016 at 13:06. Reason: spelling

I'm quietly confident for Friday. Definite signs of improvement last weekend and Walsh returning made a significant difference. I don't think Wigan are that great and they have further losses through suspension to cope with.

Just got a feeling we will sneak it on Friday. In terms of positioning and confidence it will be a massive win if we pull it off and we can go on to make a realistic tilt at a top 4 finish. If we make the semis anything can happen.

A lot relies on which Luke Walsh turns up. If the game is physical and Walsh hides we will struggle in attack and concede tries. If he turns up playing like last week taking the ball to the line he will make things happen.
    If Walsh, Lomax, Wilkin and Turner get their blend right we will score enough points to win the game no problem. Fingers crossed our defence continues to improve.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    A lot relies on which Luke Walsh turns up. If the game is physical and Walsh hides we will struggle in attack and concede tries. If he turns up playing like last week taking the ball to the line he will make things happen.
    If Walsh, Lomax, Wilkin and Turner get their blend right we will score enough points to win the game no problem. Fingers crossed our defence continues to improve.
    Agreed, but the right Luke Walsh will only turn up if the forwards do and get him on the front foot, that's the key in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by stroger View Post
    I see from the official Wigan site that they have sold over 17000 tickets for Friday's game. They add the worrying quote, "Over 16000 Wigan fans have bought tickets." Surely we have sold more than 1000!
    I fear our away support has dropped off this year because of some of the dross we've witnessed at home. If this is part of KCs master plan - the first 23 games don't matter as long as we're near the top at the end - then I also fear that the number of season ticket renewals will fall, with fans only attending selected games. That's the top of a slippery slope.
    I bought a pack of luminous condoms last week. The wife's face lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Agreed, but the right Luke Walsh will only turn up if the forwards do and get him on the front foot, that's the key in this one.
    Yep. No reason our forwards shouldn't compete IMO. Wigan have seemed reluctant to play the bully tactics with us ever since the Ben Flower thing, and with a cup semi next week the last thing they will want is a physical encounter with us and risk more injuries and/or players up in front of the disciplinary committee (which happens more often than not when Wigan find themselves in a scrap).
    I hope Wigan turn up and give it their best shot on Friday so that they have no excuses, but something tells me they will roll over if it gets tough.

Banned

Wigan do the grind really well. They won't concede many good test this one for Saints. I will take us 18 to 14.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Winning the battle in the forwards against Wigan is obviously important but that will mean nothing if we don't kick well. With Charnley out I'd kick constantly to that wing both with bombs and long kicks as Manfredi is a real danger. Wigan don't seem to score many tries but they are very clinical with the chances they do get. Nothing fancy required against Wigan, they've topped the league doing the simple things better than anyone else so we need to do the same.

From a stats point of view they're averaging 21 points a game scored at home so we'll need to score at least 4 tries. That will require good territory and repeat sets as we won't get a massive amount of chances. We have a generous habit of handing the opposition a 12 point lead in the first 15 minutes and then having to play catch up. Let's not use that tactic this week.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    This will definitely happen. Someone like Joel Tomkins will score down his side with Walsh missing a tackle/making a bad read and he'll again become awful, despite us looking a lot better when he plays.
    Well it won't be Joel out for the season according to Wane.