Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morgan Escare

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    KC complains about having no size in his back 3 to get the sets on a roll early, then we are linked to a player who is 5ft 4 and 8 stone wet through. Don't get me wrong, Escare is a talent but is he what we need? I'd rather use our limited cap budget where it will make more impact

We just need to decide what we want and go out and get it.
    Personally I'd prefer a quick lad who can get past people.Always makes more ground.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Personally I'd prefer a quick lad who can get past people.Always makes more ground.
    I agree Don.

This obsession with size-we may as well just play a side made up entirely of props and 2nd rowers. It's ridiculous.

Having said that, I don't personally think Escare is what we need at the moment, unless KC has plans for JLo in the halves (which I don't think would work either.)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    I agree Don.

This obsession with size-we may as well just play a side made up entirely of props and 2nd rowers. It's ridiculous.

Having said that, I don't personally think Escare is what we need at the moment, unless KC has plans for JLo in the halves (which I don't think would work either.)
    At least JLO would take the line on and hit gaps.
    Learned comment from The Don

At least JLO would take the line on and hit gaps.
    Possibly yes, I just think JLo works better when all the play is in front of him.

Learning All The Songs

Very pacey player who can't tackle. Joe Wardle would be a fantastic signing but can't see Huddersfield letting him go.

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Very pacey player who can't tackle.
    Can't tackle? He'll fit right in with our current team then!

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

I dont disagree, there is no substitute for pace but in todays game, teams work really hard on their kick chase and as a result, wingers/full backs dont often get open ground to run into. Then you are reliant on sheer size/strength to get you on the front foot, which is why you will pay a premium for players such as Carney and McGilvaray. That first and second tackle after a kick is vital to the pack getting a roll on and then getting quick play the balls.

As they say "a good big un is always better than a god little un".

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    I dont disagree, there is no substitute for pace but in todays game, teams work really hard on their kick chase and as a result, wingers/full backs dont often get open ground to run into. Then you are reliant on sheer size/strength to get you on the front foot, which is why you will pay a premium for players such as Carney and McGilvaray. That first and second tackle after a kick is vital to the pack getting a roll on and then getting quick play the balls.

As they say "a good big un is always better than a god little un".
    My issue is that we found a counter to the problem way back in 2014, by letting the back 3 attack from the off and move the ball around, they were on the front foot on the tackle and bought time for the centres/ second rowers to track back. Since KC came in that's completely gone as they simply charge at guys twice the size of Lomax/ Swift.

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

The last thing we need at the minute is a full back - especially one with defensive frailties, it would be Quinlan mark 2. Probably start off scoring a couple of try's before our master tacticians beat the rugby out of him, then you're just left with a little bloke who can't tackle.

For me we far more require a prop (possibly 2) , a centre, interchange hooker and a winger before we even think about a 5'5 fullback.

We already have SMcD for back up this year should anything happen to Lomax, if we signed a decent winger them Makinson could fill in at FB if required next year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

We have always absolutely hammered players who are weak defensively and Escare was dropped for his defence costing more tries than his attacking plays created. Catalan aren't exactly missing him. Lomax might not have the same pace but he's far the superior all round fullback.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Lomax would be good back at Stand Off were he used to play prior to first team.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Lomax would be good back at Stand Off were he used to play prior to first team.
    I've always thought Lomax's best position was at 6. As you said he played most of his junior rugby at 6 so its not exactly new to him.
    I know he's been tried in the halves before but he was put in at 7 and expected to then become the main organiser, play maker & kicker because we had the useless Hohia at 6, so its no wonder he struggled so much last time.
    Along side someone like Walsh he would be far more effective as he has good footwork & upper body strength to take him through the gap initially, something was sadly lack at the moment. I'd say there's only really Roby & Percival with that ability to break through when taking on the line

Not convinced Escare is the answer at full back either, too many frailties for me. If we're looking at another FB with pace then they could worse than Nial Evalds at Salford. I can't understand how he can't get in at 1 this year. He has great pace with ability to score length of the field try's and his defence isn't too shabby either.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I've always thought Lomax's best position was at 6. As you said he played most of his junior rugby at 6 so its not exactly new to him. I know he's been tried in the halves before but he was put in at 7 and expected to then become the main organiser, play maker & kicker because we had the useless Hohia at 6, so its no wonder he struggled so much last time. Along side someone like Walsh he would be far more effective as he has good footwork & upper body strength to take him through the gap initially, something was sadly lack at the moment. I'd say there's only really Roby & Percival with that ability to break through when taking on the line Not convinced Escare is the answer at full back either, too many frailties for me. If we're looking at another FB with pace then they could worse than Nial Evalds at Salford. I can't understand how he can't get in at 1 this year. He has great pace with ability to score length of the field try's and his defence isn't too shabby either.
    So if Lomax plays alongside Walsh where does Fages play?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Please tell me which of that list are playing fullback.

If we want a 7, go and get a 7. Don't sign a fullback not good enough for Catalan and then shoehorn him into the team. If we want to replace anyone on that list, you don't sign a fullback who isn't as good as the fullback we currently have!
    You have literally just described our signing policy since Anderson left. Make do and mend.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    So if Lomax plays alongside Walsh where does Fages play?
    At Leigh on loan.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston View Post
    So you are saying Jack Owens is better than Morgan Escare? bizarre.
    He makes nearly as many errors. the difference is he has loads of attacking ability.

Got A Season Ticket

Not sure why people are saying we shouldn't be considering players who couldn't get in at Catalans, as if their squad isn't vastly superior to ours.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 141 View Post
    Not sure why people are saying we shouldn't be considering players who couldn't get in at Catalans, as if their squad isn't vastly superior to ours.
    Superiority complex...

Because we're Saints not ••••ing Wakefield and we shouldn't be shopping in the bargin basement picking up others scraps . Think small be small.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by N0.1 Saint View Post
    Because we're Saints not ••••ing Wakefield and we shouldn't be shopping in the bargin basement picking up others scraps . Think small be small.
    You mean like Widnes reject Jack Owens, or Shannon McDonnell who was released by Hull KR? At least Escare is a good player in a top team. He was as good as any fullback in the league in 2014 and has shown he can be excellent when given the opportunity, which is more than can be said for many of the no-hopers in our squad.

We are only two points ahead of Wakefield in the league BTW, and arguably are lucky to be that.

Got A Replica Shirt

You mean like Widnes reject Jack Owens, or Shannon McDonnell who was released by Hull KR? At least Escare is a good player in a top team. He was as good as any fullback in the league in 2014 and has shown he can be excellent when given the opportunity, which is more than can be said for many of the no-hopers in our squad.

We are only two points ahead of Wakefield in the league BTW, and arguably are lucky to be that.
    That's the point though. We've done bargain basement recruitment and it has contributed to our current predicament.

Escare would be a signing in the same mould. Signing a player that's second fiddle in SL should not be on our shopping list. Escare doesn't improve on the incumbent Full Back and therefore doesn't significantly improve our position.

Whether he is better than Jack Owens is an irrelevance. If that's your criteria, you might as well be arguing that we should sign my Mrs.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Craggamore Kid View Post
    That's the point though. We've done bargain basement recruitment and it has contributed to our current predicament.

Escare would be a signing in the same mould. Signing a player that's second fiddle in SL should not be on our shopping list. Escare doesn't improve on the incumbent Full Back and therefore doesn't significantly improve our position.

Whether he is better than Jack Owens is an irrelevance. If that's your criteria, you might as well be arguing that we should sign my Mrs.
    It depends, Jodie Broughton is a player who was second fiddle last year and this year looks like one of the best wingers in the league. You can't make blanket judgments about players based on their current status just as you shouldn't listen to the club's spiel about how certain players are 'phenomenal' when they clearly aren't.

As for Escare, he isn't as good as Lomax but is probably better than McDonnell and Owens put together, and he would be a player I'd be happy enough to see in the squad. Many feel he has been harshly treated by Catalans and I don't doubt he would get into most teams in the league. I don't believe we will be signing him anyway so it's immaterial, if we are looking at anyone from Catalans it should be their winger Sigismeau IMO, he ticks all the boxes as I said last year before we signed Owens.

Got A Replica Shirt

It depends, Jodie Broughton is a player who was second fiddle last year and this year looks like one of the best wingers in the league. You can't make blanket judgments about players based on their current status just as you shouldn't listen to the club's spiel about how certain players are 'phenomenal' when they clearly aren't.

As for Escare, he isn't as good as Lomax but is probably better than McDonnell and Owens put together, and he would be a player I'd be happy enough to see in the squad. Many feel he has been harshly treated by Catalans and I don't doubt he would get into most teams in the league. I don't believe we will be signing him anyway so it's immaterial, if we are looking at anyone from Catalans it should be their winger Sigismeau IMO, he ticks all the boxes as I said last year before we signed Owens.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on Escare - IMO he is a typical product of Sky's hyperbole based on him beating a couple of men per game and on the Sky pundits' ability to completely ignore errors that outweigh the positive contributions.

Broughton has always showed that promise, it's should be no surprise that he is revelling in being given good service.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Johnstone from Wakey should be a priority .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

For Lomax to move to the halves, he would have to play with Walsh or similar. So that means Fages out or stewing as back up 9 to fit Escare, who appears to be another player who thinks defence is the thing around de pitch and we have enough of those. I'd rather we spend cash on a good centre in the backs.