Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saints Official KC & Long Announcement

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    http://m.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/6016

Timing is impeccable Saints!
    Would be hard to put them in after theyve been sacked to be fair.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

When was this all arranged? If it was arranged weeks or months ago it's simply unfortunate timing. If it was arranged fairly recently then you start to wonder.

No doubt about either players standing within our club, and I will always look at KC and think of him as a great. But I think of him as great with the ball in his hand, on the park, with the redvee on his chest. As a man, I've no opinion of him, and as a coach I think he is mediocre. We should all be able to separate our thoughts on him based on different stages of his life with our club. One stage great, another stage average. I don't consider him a worse player because he's an average coach, and I don't consider him a great coach because he was a great player. I think the club underestimate our intelligence if they think we will simply ignore huge failings within the club because those making them were good players. That might work if you're a kid and you can't differentiate between your heroes as players and coaches, but as an adult it's fairly insulting for the club to be indirectly telling me that I'm an idiot for not loving KC as a coach because I loved him as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    When was this all arranged? If it was arranged weeks or months ago it's simply unfortunate timing. If it was arranged fairly recently then you start to wonder.
    It's an annual thing, they have a lunch every year in June and one player is inducted into the Hall of Fame as far as I'm aware based on nominations from committee members

There's definitely a message in there from the club to the fans with this one though

Got A Season Ticket

Another slap in the face for Cunningham. It's been going on since he was 17 don't you know?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    It's an annual thing, they have a lunch every year in June and one player is inducted into the Hall of Fame as far as I'm aware based on nominations from committee members

There's definitely a message in there from the club to the fans with this one though
    Yeah, I would definitely have assumed it was both a, awful timing, and b, an awfully blunt message.

The only message it gave me was 'we don't care what you think, these lads were great players so you should love them forever based on things they did years ago'. I'm not 12 years of age, I don't idolise people the same age as me who were good at sport. It just tells me the club are digging in behind KC and will not budge. This is going to become nasty in the coming weeks and months, and our club is not going to come out of it looking good whatever happens.

Indeed. The message it gave me was 'You ungrateful bunch! Don't you remember what these two did for the club? You should give your support to them unconditionally no matter how bad things get'

If that's the line the club wants to take it's up to them but I wouldn't expect everyone to buy into their rhetoric

Learning All The Songs

I understand it being an annual event, but both coaches being honoured at this time?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Yeah, I would definitely have assumed it was both a, awful timing, and b, an awfully blunt message.

The only message it gave me was 'we don't care what you think, these lads were great players so you should love them forever based on things they did years ago'. I'm not 12 years of age, I don't idolise people the same age as me who were good at sport. It just tells me the club are digging in behind KC and will not budge. This is going to become nasty in the coming weeks and months, and our club is not going to come out of it looking good whatever happens.
    Now that I think about it do the club even have anything to do with who becomes a hall of famer?

Is it not Geoff Pimblett et al?

I know EM attends every year but I don't think he is involved otherwise

Got A Season Ticket

McManus doing what he does best, showing loyal fans he does not give a Hoot what they think! yes they may deserve it, but timing is so bad, someone should have advised him not to, but how can you advise someone who wants to be the only one in charge?

Noooobie

Timing obvious to distract the flack.....wont change a thing....cant make a superteazm out of turds

Noooobie

Dawson, Beaumont, Perry, Masoe, Burns, Tasi, Owens, Haggerty, O'Donnell, Peyroux, Vea.....all cheques signed by you Eamon ! when are we going to get a marquee signing ? or a Top Player ? never as we need about 5 or 6 and you've spent the cap on championship players if that.....waky waky smell the coffee

Got A Replica Shirt Southern Saint's Avatar

My only surprise is that it has taken this long to induct either of them into The Hall of Fame
    I stopped smoking and my brother called me a quitter

Learning All The Songs

Both Fully Deserved great St Helens players. (coaching see other topic)

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

And Anthony Sullivan still looks fit enough to be playing in that photo. What a player he was too.

Regards,

STEVO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    And Anthony Sullivan still looks fit enough to be playing in that photo. What a player he was too. Regards, STEVO
    Couldn't be worse than Owens
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

It does feel that the club are thinking that way doesnt it.

The current psychology reminds me of the Ashes team in 2014 that got hammered 5-0. The leadership during that tour was simply unable to admit theyd got it wrong, the Australians had the wood on them and that things had to change.

My first inclination was typical McManus, probably thought we were close to Warrington and that things will get better soon. A bit like Melchett in Blackadder who thinks that by sending men over the top for the umoteenth time that old Gerry is going to eventually keel over.

I applaud the likes of SS for resisting the tenptation to attack and focussing on the accomplishments of these players. Long and Cunningham were so integral to our success that their playing achievements deserve acclaim. Ultimately it may be bad timing thats caused this. I.e. If there is some sort of annual vote or proposal then it creates a rock and a hard place for the club....

Yet ultimately its hard to not form the impression that its another sly, subtle dig at the fans given the incorrigable and truculent nature of the club these days.

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Am I right in saying there is usually 1 person per year inducted - but this year 2 ???

If so there is definitely a message hidden in there somewhere,

Either McManus is backing his men to the hilt.

Or - it's a case of we can't sack them as coaches and then induct them for their playing careers (both totally deserved) so get them in now quick before the deed is done.

I'm tending to lean towards the latter