Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Phil Gould and our youngsters

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Default Phil Gould and our youngsters

Just thinking out loud here.
    I wonder if the visit of Phil Gould has caused some unrest within the club? He openly admitted Greenwood is the best youngster in England. And we have other talented potentials in Thompson and Savelio. Has he been tapping these players up? It doesn't excuse everything else that seems to be going wrong but it certainly wouldn't help. It would certainly explain why so many of these youngsters have had limited game time.

I could be way off the mark. Just thought it was worth a mention
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Why would that cause unrest ? You just give them new contracts then get a fee for them like Leeds will do with Hardaker

Noooobie

Default Phil Gould

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I wonder if the visit of Phil Gould has caused some unrest within the club? He openly admitted Greenwood is the best youngster in England. And we have other talented potentials in Thompson and Savelio. Has he been tapping these players up? It doesn't excuse everything else that seems to be going wrong but it certainly wouldn't help. It would certainly explain why so many of these youngsters have had limited game time.

Please tell me more about Phil Gould and who his he currently employed by.

There are three reasons why I'm not playing the youngsters.

1 - They are boys in the gym, they have to become men in the gym first. Wilko and Tils are a different beast in the gym so they play every week. Once we have bulked them up like we have done to JT and Tommy then they may get a chance

2 - When I give them a chance I have to hook them off after 40 mins, like with Calvin the other week and young Ricky last year, can't have them letting me middles and me seniors down like they did

3 - The reserves play way too expansively! They need to know how to win the go forward to get in my team, not how to throw the ball about

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Sorry but when did Gould visit the club?

He spoke highly of Greenwood at the start of last year when he was playing great, not seen anything since

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Sorry but when did Gould visit the club? He spoke highly of Greenwood at the start of last year when he was playing great, not seen anything since
    Didn't he come to the club earlier this year. He put a load of pics off the stadium on his Twitter account and then thanked the club for having him. Unless im wrong and it was someone else

He did visit the club, but I'd be amazed if that had anything to do with the state we're in now.

Got A Season Ticket

Gould is just the sort of single minded individual who we need to sort this mess out. He doesn't care for reputations.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keith555 View Post
    You know you're on the internet right?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post

But Richards is better than them all.

Starting A Programme Collection

Our lads getting distracted by the dream of playing NRL is about as realistic as me getting distracted from work dreaming of becoming President of the USA.

Banned

Not that he'd ever leave his media work, Penrith & aus, but Phil Gould as Director of Rugby here would be awesome & just what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Our lads getting distracted by the dream of playing NRL is about as realistic as me getting distracted from work dreaming of becoming President of the USA.
    Considering how well the likes of Graham, the Burgess brothers, Cooper, Whitehead, Hodgson etc have gone in the NRL (and the huge salary cap other there now) you don't think it's possible clubs could be scouting our youngsters? And where better to scout than St.helens? We have a decent academy set up.
    The coaching of the NRL has proven to further improve some of Super Leagues players. I see no reason why a few of our young lads couldn't make a good fist of it down under

Got A Season Ticket

Melbourne Storm officials were in the UK recently scouting for talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunderhead View Post
    There are three reasons why I'm not playing the youngsters.

1 - They are boys in the gym, they have to become men in the gym first. Wilko and Tils are a different beast in the gym so they play every week. Once we have bulked them up like we have done to JT and Tommy then they may get a chance

2 - When I give them a chance I have to hook them off after 40 mins, like with Calvin the other week and young Ricky last year, can't have them letting me middles and me seniors down like they did

3 - The reserves play way too expansively! They need to know how to win the go forward to get in my team, not how to throw the ball about
    You forgot to use the word Grind this time Keiron .... ;-)

Hardaker is next to go sample the NRL by the sounds of it. Good luck to him, but surely he could have waited till the end of the season ... Leeds have done a lot for him so kicking them in the nuts in their worst season for a long long time seems a little ungrateful.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by WBFOP View Post
    Melbourne Storm officials were in the UK recently scouting for talent.
    Most NRL clubs were represented at magic weekend by all accounts

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Keith555 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Gould

One of the most knowledgeable and opinionated people in the game, but he does have the credentials as a winning Coach at the highest level.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Most NRL clubs were represented at magic weekend by all accounts
    We've got nothing to fear about losing players then, quite sure they weren't impressed by any of ours on that performance!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Gould

One of the most knowledgeable and opinionated people in the game, but he does have the credentials as a winning Coach at the highest level.
    Also a great believer in giving young forwards time to develop. He wouldn't give up on Richards as many of our fans have. He believes in sticking with them until they're 23/24.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by the priest View Post
    Also a great believer in giving young forwards time to develop. He wouldn't give up on Richards as many of our fans have. He believes in sticking with them until they're 23/24.
    Young forwards do need time to develop. A lot of prop-forwards in particular get better with age and don't necessarily hit their peak until in their late 20's.