Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you renew your ST?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    The issue of renewing season tickets is not complex for the individual.
    You either do or don't. The reasoning might vary. Bored, annoyed that KC is still in charge. Wanting to hit the club in the pocket, for not renewing.
    Bored but being a fan you take the good and bad. Not agreeing with hitting the club in the pocket etc for the renewers, are just some examples.
    As a fan you make your decision and your reasoning for that. But it does go much further. If you don't renew for whatever reason that is fine, but then you do relinquish certain moaning rights in the future, such as in a couple of years after this crap period has improved the non renewers can't moan about lack of funds to buy a star player, or any ground improvements, shop prices for Saints stuff. I respect anyone who stops going (I'm not including financial reasons as that's understandable ) but you are hitting the club. Period.
    This might be what it looks like intuitively, however you have to think counter to this.

If you want the same things to happen, keep doing the same things. Keep going, keep paying, keep letting the club treat you contemptuously, keep allowing them to make bad signings for you to pay to watch etc etc. Crack on....keep doing them but I guarantee you 100% you will get more of the same.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    If it was just for the reasons you mention above I may still be debating whether or not we will renew next season, as we have done for many many years before.

One of the main issues that has tipped the balance for me however is the disrespect shown to loyal fans by both Cunningham - in numerous comments in his nonsensical weekly ramblings - and by the outrageous "tub thumping" reference from McManus.

If that's what they think of us, I'm certain we can do without them - I'm equally certain however that they can't do without us.

We'll certainly not be renewing with the status quo in place
    and that last line is what it is all about. Not allowing the same to continue....it really is that simple.

So, what could happen if we en-masse don't renew?

Season tickets not renewed = Reduced Revenue = Less competitive in the transfer market, less money to invest in the academy = Dropping further down the league with little chance of recovery.

I think not renewing cynically to try and enforce change is counterproductive. Renewing your season ticket is not simply accepting where the club is. You can be unhappy with where we are, but retain your support.

I think the decision lies with the individual. Do you feel that it is £300 worth spending to renew? With many uncompetitive games, a boring style and our support base arguably being insulted by club staff (you've not seen that from the Leeds club), it's easy to see why many will not renew. The club cannot afford to take 9,000 season ticket holders for granted, as we will lose some.

If the crowds fall further, then I think we'll see some urgency from the club.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    Personally there isn't a question about renewal of my season ticket because such and such is in charge, sport is about the peaks and troughs. At the moment we are heading towards a trough.

However there is an alternative for you if you are determined to not attend games because of the current coach/CEO/players/chairman. Why not buy your season ticket and then send it to Eamon with the following letter.

Dear Eamon
    Please find enclosed my season ticket for 2017 season, this is not to be re-issued or resold, it is still mine.
    However I find that I no longer want to attend matches because (insert reason here) and until this is rectified please hold onto my season ticket.
    I love this club and do not want to drive it into a position where it isn't financially viable to keep us at the right end of the league when faced with player recruitment.
    However please note that with my non-attendance at any matches this season the club will lose out on the following revenue (insert your own circumstances here - but to show how this will effect I have inserted my own figures) Kiosk refreshment - £124 programmes - £45 Additional cup/playoff games - £90 Shop merchandise - £100 total £359.
    I do not make this decision lightly I have been supporting the Saints for 38 years but find the current situation needs to be addressed before our great club becomes a shadow of itself
    I want you to be aware of the fact that you still can rely on me to return once the situation is resolved, but I reserve the right to review this situation in each close season.

For now still in that number
    xxxxxx

If you all feel so strongly about the situation, then follow the plan above - I can guarantee you that the chairman will pay more attention to that approach from a couple of hundred fans than simply not renewing your season ticket

I don't see that catching on somehow.

What percentage of Saints supporters do you think have money to throw away like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince St Clair View Post

What percentage of Saints supporters do you think have money to throw away like that?

I wrote to EM last October and told him I was not renewing and told him why. I did say that if he wanted the £265 (I think it was) I would gladly give it to him as I still want to support the club.

I did not get a reply
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    I wrote to EM last October and told him I was not renewing and told him why. I did say that if he wanted the £265 (I think it was) I would gladly give it to him as I still want to support the club.

I did not get a reply

Wow! He may not be short of £265, but you'd expect the courtesy of a reply to that.

That sort of confirms what we all suspect Joe. The man has his head buried in the sand.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post

I did not get a reply
    That kind of blows St Etrigans laughable suggestion out of the window! Hahahaha
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    So, what could happen if we en-masse don't renew?

Season tickets not renewed = Reduced Revenue = Less competitive in the transfer market, less money to invest in the academy = Dropping further down the league with little chance of recovery.

I think not renewing cynically to try and enforce change is counterproductive. Renewing your season ticket is not simply accepting where the club is. You can be unhappy with where we are, but retain your support.

I think the decision lies with the individual. Do you feel that it is £300 worth spending to renew? With many uncompetitive games, a boring style and our support base arguably being insulted by club staff (you've not seen that from the Leeds club), it's easy to see why many will not renew. The club cannot afford to take 9,000 season ticket holders for granted, as we will lose some.

If the crowds fall further, then I think we'll see some urgency from the club.

You're right. It's a decision for the individual. Anyone going against their own wishes for cynical reasons are just fooling themselves. One season ticket less makes virtually no difference.

Where I stand is I can just about live without it. I'm addicted to Everton & renew whatever. My 17yo lad, who's had a ST since he was 6 is Everton mad & wouldn't forgive me if I didn't renew. So that's that.

The 400 quid I used to pay for out Saints STs was small change (I'm lucky to be comfortable) & we both loved going. Even to Widnes. Sometimes when games clashes, we'd get the missus to pick us up from Goodison & drop us off at Saints to save time parking etc.. We loved it.

Then, after JG left, the reality of the club's direction just became too obvious. That 1st season at Langtree was dire. My lad started complaining he didn't want to go, so that was enough. It's got worse since.

I yearn for the good times to return. Not talking trophies (although welcome), I just mean some hope & proper Saints open rugby. If KC & Rush were sacked tomorrow I'd buy our STs back the following day.

Got A Season Ticket

The season ticket debate is fine, but we must remember that the Sky deal pretty much covers the salary cap now, something McManus trumpeted at the time like some kind of saviour. A reasonable amount of fans coming through the gate and decent sponsorship and corporate, something the club seems to do right, should keep things on an even keel financially.

They are just not committed to winning anymore, just glorious failures, they will put a product out just barely sufficient and hoodwink the fans with catchy hash tags.

You're right. It's a decision for the individual. Anyone going against their own wishes for cynical reasons are just fooling themselves. One season ticket less makes virtually no difference.

Where I stand is I can just about live without it. I'm addicted to Everton & renew whatever. My 17yo lad, who's had a ST since he was 6 is Everton mad & wouldn't forgive me if I didn't renew. So that's that.

The 400 quid I used to pay for out Saints STs was small change (I'm lucky to be comfortable) & we both loved going. Even to Widnes. Sometimes when games clashes, we'd get the missus to pick us up from Goodison & drop us off at Saints to save time parking etc.. We loved it.

Then, after JG left, the reality of the club's direction just became too obvious. That 1st season at Langtree was dire. My lad started complaining he didn't want to go, so that was enough. It's got worse since.

I yearn for the good times to return. Not talking trophies (although welcome), I just mean some hope & proper Saints open rugby. If KC & Rush were sacked tomorrow I'd buy our STs back the following day.
    Great point, trophys are obviously what we all want but for me entertaining rugby , decent signings and general hope of success is an absolute must. At the moment we play boring losing Rugby , shop in the bargain basement and seem to lack leadership and direction as an organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by WBFOP View Post
    The season ticket debate is fine, but we must remember that the Sky deal pretty much covers the salary cap now, something McManus trumpeted at the time like some kind of saviour. A reasonable amount of fans coming through the gate and decent sponsorship and corporate, something the club seems to do right, should keep things on an even keel financially.

They are just not committed to winning anymore, just glorious failures, they will put a product out just barely sufficient and hoodwink the fans with catchy hash tags.
    You think sponsorship would continue at current levels with dwindling attendances?

It just doesn't work like that.......
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Got A Season Ticket

That's a good point. Would be very sad if that's how EMc thinks.

Dunno which is sadder, that or he just doesn't see what we see.

Quote Originally Posted by N0.1 Saint View Post
    Great point, trophys are obviously what we all want but for me entertaining rugby , decent signings and general hope of success is an absolute must. At the moment we play boring losing Rugby , shop in the bargain basement and seem to lack leadership and direction as an organisation.

Exactly. We're not glory hunters, just want to an enjoyable, entertaining experience. KC is quite clear that entertainment isn't high on his agenda.

Got A Season Ticket

You think sponsorship would continue at current levels with dwindling attendances?

It just doesn't work like that.......
    Yes, because it's a television sport. If you as a company are banking on the fans inside the ground to read what is all over the shirt or the advertising hoardings to gain any business you might as well pack in.

Sorry, you're half wrong, as am I.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes, because it's a television sport. If you as a company are banking on the fans inside the ground to read what is all over the shirt or the advertising hoardings to gain any business you might as well pack in.
    The less fans and the less success we have means less TV games, so that may lead to less sponsorship. Also those who have corporate sponsorship may decide not to spend money on a club that is not successful

Wow! He may not be short of £265, but you'd expect the courtesy of a reply to that.

That sort of confirms what we all suspect Joe. The man has his head buried in the sand.
    When I didn't get a reply a few things came into my head.

1. A lot of fans had said the same and he was not going to reply to them all. That worried me
    2. I was the only person to write to him and he thought "I will wait till October and when we have SL trophy in our cabinet I will reply "See what you missed", or "Would you like to have a chat?"

Learning All The Songs

Here is my take on this. After 20 years as a season ticket holder (an always bought the new shirt), i didn't renew this year. I three games this year. Towards the end of last season the rot had set in. We were playing the type of (I use this term loosely) rugby that was continued this year.

Have I missed my rugby and Saints, I suppose that I still watch on Sky and I am posting on here means yes I have missed it. However I have enjoyed my weekends more I have been doing a lot more with the family weekends camping etc.

At the moment I really want o support Saints but because of all the reasons highlighted on this site at the moment there are far better ways for me to spend my time. If the club turn this around soon then I will be back, if they leave it until the close season then they will have lost me forever.

Got A Season Ticket

Honestly I wouldn't expect anyone to do this - experience has told me that when you balance principles
    with money - money wins out each time
    I was very impressed that channel22 actually did try and do something similar - kudos to you

That kind of blows St Etrigans laughable suggestion out of the window! Hahahaha
    The difference would be if there were hundreds of people and not just one and the fact that Channel22 didn't get a reply
    (as bad as that sounds from a customer service point of view) isn't the same thing - the impact of this type of protest
    comes from the scale of it.
    Also I thought that the reason for protesting was to get something changed - not to get a reply to a mail.

I find the situation at Saints right now to be embarrassing, the coaching, the general play, the playing staff etc. and want things to change
    but I would not base my season ticket purchase decision next year on that, I will wait for a different factor in my life to make that decision
    for me. I have followed this team through fallow times, great times and times when I believe that the wrong people are in charge. But it
    is sport, its not supposed to all be plain sailing.

If people want to base their decisions on other factors - then they are more than welcome to do so - I just think there are other ways
    of letting the club know you are displeased rather than starting to rip the heart out of the fan base and the club itself - you will probably disagree
    as is your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Here is my take on this. After 20 years as a season ticket holder (an always bought the new shirt), i didn't renew this year. I three games this year. Towards the end of last season the rot had set in. We were playing the type of (I use this term loosely) rugby that was continued this year.

Have I missed my rugby and Saints, I suppose that I still watch on Sky and I am posting on here means yes I have missed it. However I have enjoyed my weekends more I have been doing a lot more with the family weekends camping etc.

At the moment I really want o support Saints but because of all the reasons highlighted on this site at the moment there are far better ways for me to spend my time. If the club turn this around soon then I will be back, if they leave it until the close season then they will have lost me forever.
    Exactly the same for me, only I have been just 2 games (Hudds and Wire)

Honestly I wouldn't expect anyone to do this - experience has told me that when you balance principles
    I was very impressed that channel22 actually did try and do something similar - kudos to you

The difference would be if there were hundreds of people and not just one and the fact that Channel22 didn't get a reply
    (as bad as that sounds from a customer service point of view) isn't the same thing - the impact of this type of protest
    comes from the scale of it.
    Also I thought that the reason for protesting was to get something changed - not to get a reply to a mail.

I find the situation at Saints right now to be embarrassing, the coaching, the general play, the playing staff etc. and want things to change
    but I would not base my season ticket purchase decision next year on that, I will wait for a different factor in my life to make that decision
    for me. I have followed this team through fallow times, great times and times when I believe that the wrong people are in charge. But it
    is sport, its not supposed to all be plain sailing.

If people want to base their decisions on other factors - then they are more than welcome to do so - I just think there are other ways
    of letting the club know you are displeased rather than starting to rip the heart out of the fan base and the club itself - you will probably disagree
    as is your right.
    Quite unbelievable.

You really don't seem to have grasped the fundamental flaws in your proposed plan and the consequent outcomes.

It's been a long hot sunny day with too many beers and enjoyment to spoil it by responding fully........so I won't, but for starters if you honestly think that there are enough fans with enough spare cash to buy STs they are not intending to use, to create a critical mass sufficient to budge McManus et al then you are deluded.

Feel free to make your protest in that way if you wish however, your (almost certainly sole) prerogative.

Got A Season Ticket

Principals? What principals?

I'll happily give the money Claire House or Zoe's Place, but professional sports have to earn it.

If EMc can't see the years of garbage recruitment, he needs to be woken up. What was he thinking giving KC a 2 year extension? Was there a queue to sign him? (We wish!!!!).

If it takes falling attendances to bring change, then so be it. Can't come soon enough.

Got A Season Ticket

Quite unbelievable.

You really don't seem to have grasped the fundamental flaws in your proposed plan and the consequent outcomes.

It's been a long hot sunny day with too many beers and enjoyment to spoil it by responding fully........so I won't, but for starters if you honestly think that there are enough fans with enough spare cash to buy STs they are not intending to use, to create a critical mass sufficient to budge McManus et al then you are deluded.

Feel free to make your protest in that way if you wish however, your (almost certainly sole) prerogative.

You do know that in my post I said I Don't expect anyone to do it
    And that I said that I will be renewing my ST no matter what
    Because I don't believe that not renewing your season ticket because of the current coach is the approach to take....I simply put up an alternative but unpalatable way of doing it.
    If people want to protest then find a way to do it that doesn't undermine the club and put us into an even worse position than we currently are in.
    Hope you had a good barbeque

You mentioned that it would take hundreds of fans to do it, hence numbers DO come into your hypothesis so let's not try to
    pretend you didn't say that eh?

PS - what BBQ you on about? Didn't go to one, did you??

Got A Season Ticket

You mentioned that it would take hundreds of fans to do it, hence numbers DO come into your hypothesis so let's not try to
    pretend you didn't say that eh?

PS - what BBQ you on about? Didn't go to one, did you??

I was comparing the effort of Channel22 and the lack of response to the effect that hundreds of same minded individuals doing the same thing would have on a club.
    Any protest has very little effect if done by yourself only hundreds of people doing the same thing for the same reason starts to get recognition and hopefully change.
    All I said was that I wouldn't be one of them....I enjoy going to a match too much...I am not trying to start a movement, just offering an alternative that would still mean I had a Saints team to follow in years to come.
    I know it's been said before but when Wigan went through a similar time...their supporters actually got behind the team and attendance rose....I hate to think that Saints fans wouldn't be capable of doing the same.

I think we all want the same thing mate, but we've all got different ideas of how the club should / could be influenced to get there.

Bloody sad state of affairs we're having to think this way all in all.