Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Cunningham response to critics

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    You might be right about what young fans think if they've only seen KC as a coach, but for anyone else I doubt this will ruin their memories of him as a player. He was a great player, that will never change, and he will always be a St Helens legend. He's just a very average coach and is making himself look like a not particularly nice bloke. A part of it is pressure, and some people handle it better than others, and I reckon in years to come he'll probably look back and wonder why the hell he said some of these things. But, he's saying them, and he's making the situation worse with every interview he gives. He is not coming out of this looking great, but it won't affect my memories of him as a player.
    Nor me,but sadly we are seeing a side of him we never saw as a player,or maybe that side of him made him a great player.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    Nor me,but sadly we are seeing a side of him we never saw as a player,or maybe that side of him made him a great player.
    It's a tough situation and he's certainly under pressure. If you break down a squad you've got different categories of player. We've got some really talented players at the club IMO but we've got others who are way too inconsistent and just aren't doing it at the minute.

Dawson and Owens try hard but they aren't going to break teams down off their own back on the right edge. We've had problems in the centre all season for me and I think it's impacted the way we've played. Percival is a talent who we need fit. If you look at the game on Friday we had plenty of good ball but didn't look like breaking Warrington down. They defended really well tbf to them but when we shift the ball wide, Owens and Dawson aren't going to isolate defenders on their own backs. The effect is that we are relying on our halves to come up with something whether it be a kick or a flat ball to a forward who crashes over the line. We are so easy to defend against and these issues ultimately come back to recruitment and who you're bringing in. We lack that pace and athleticism out wide to really hurt teams. Percival's return may help that somewhat.

I can have sympathy with this to a certain extent. Certain things that get said stay behind closed doors and I understand that other things go on over the course of the season. I love the club and try and judge each game as it comes. When we play well I'll be the first to sing their praises but you have to be realistic and understand that we have big problems at the minute. Confidence is a big thing and right now the players don't have much of it but the club need to show some honesty here. It's poor performance after poor performance and although we are capable on our day we are in a mess at the minute and these little digs at the fans aren't doing him favours. He was an outstanding player and that will never be forgotten but he needs to understand why the supporters feel how they do at the minute and show some sympathy with that.

However you dress it up things need to change. Defensively we are consistently poor and concede too many points. Even when we do attack well we need to score 30 points to win a game and you can't play like that.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Margaret View Post
    It depends how you look at players. To me they are people in a shirt playing a sport I love and for a club I love. If they do the job on the pitch and don't break the law or act terribly off it then I'm not too fussed. And I also don't really care too much about what they are like as people, because I have no right to judge them as men just because I watch them play RL. Whereas, when you're a coach it's so much more than simply about the job of winning games. It's about being one of the faces of a club, being the man in the spotlight and being able to handle alot of things away from matchdays. KC isn't doing too well on this front, but I won't think any worse of him as a player because as a player he was everything I could have ever asked for. A local lad, played hard, played fair, and played to a really high level. What he was like for the other six days of the week back then didn't concern me. What he says and how he acts as the main man at our club between games does concern me now though, but it's two different things for me.

I thought that Cunningham might just try and keep his head down this week.
    But No. Two absolute gems.

“People are like sheep. One person says something and it almost becomes a trend to jump on board"

Actually a lot of people have reflected over a number of years and reached their own conclusion regarding the club
    and its current coach.

“We have done that in the past and ended up with players for two or three years
    when after 12 months we are all thinking ‘What the hell is he doing at this club?"

You are in charge of recruitment so you should know.

I think it is clear Cunningham considers himself bulletproof and actively taunts critical fans.
    Disappointing but not that surprising.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It depends how you look at players. To me they are people in a shirt playing a sport I love and for a club I love. If they do the job on the pitch and don't break the law or act terribly off it then I'm not too fussed. And I also don't really care too much about what they are like as people, because I have no right to judge them as men just because I watch them play RL. Whereas, when you're a coach it's so much more than simply about the job of winning games. It's about being one of the faces of a club, being the man in the spotlight and being able to handle alot of things away from matchdays. KC isn't doing too well on this front, but I won't think any worse of him as a player because as a player he was everything I could have ever asked for. A local lad, played hard, played fair, and played to a really high level. What he was like for the other six days of the week back then didn't concern me. What he says and how he acts as the main man at our club between games does concern me now though, but it's two different things for me.
    I agree,he was such a hero to me growing up,i just so hope his stint as coach won't diminish his status within the club,sadly the longer he stays the more likely it will.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Wasn't Nathan Brown once quoted as saying St. helens fans are some of the most knowledgeable in the game?

Cunningham clearly doesn't think so
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McClennan View Post
    Should never have appointed him in the first place. We all knew that. We were all prepared to give him the opportunity to grow into the role.
    Sorry I wasn't prepared to let him grow. This is a business and I don't pay my money to watch a youth training scheme. I said the role should not have been given to him and I stand by that now still 100%. He was a legendary player, that's it. I want a proven coach not a maybe he will be good. Next time we are having an extension built, maybe a friendly spark could do it? Bollocks!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    To be fair, KC does look like he's eaten 5 loaves.
    Lol. But the trick was there was only one to begin with.. Or was that fish?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Wasn't Nathan Brown once quoted as saying St. helens fans are some of the most knowledgeable in the game?

Cunningham clearly doesn't think so
    I think Nathan Brown did say that.

Paul Anderson used to also the think the same. (See the last sentences in the article) http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ns/6039942.stm

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by antwnsaint View Post
    http://www.loverugbyleague.com/_media/photo_823723.jpg

Perhaps, he's swimming and wondering where all the water has gone?

Signed people for 2-3 years then after 12 months thinking what the hell is he doing at this club..... daft git... thats what everyone is saying about him!😅

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Lol. But the trick was there was only one to begin with.. Or was that fish?
    5 loaves 2 fish Rev ( thought a man of the cloth would have known this!)

Apparently JC fed the 5000 with just those 7 items- well, that's just Tapas surely?

Apparently JC fed the 5000 with just those 7 items- well, that's just Tapas surely?
    I'm not as devout as I once was. Masturbation being frowned on was a problem for me. I'm still a man of the cloth, but usually just for cleaning up.
    Last edited by The.Reverand; 7th June 2016 at 19:21.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

JC fed the 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fishes and KC fed the 10,000 with a load of BS...

I'm not as devout as I once was. Maturation being frowned on was a problem for me. I'm still a man of the cloth, but usually just for cleaning up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    JC fed the 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fishes and KC fed the 10,000 with a load of of BS...

Oh very good! Top marks Sir!

JC fed the 5,000 with 5 loaves and 2 fishes and KC fed the 10,000 with a load of of BS...
    You win at Internets.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

You win at Internets.
    Thank you Father...

Thank you Father...
    No need to address him as Father anymore PL, going off his previous posts he's about to be defrocked!

No need to address him as Father anymore PL, going off his previous posts he's about to be defrocked!
    The frocks always the first thing to go.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    KC - "Looks like these will be the only two things I'll be lifting this year"
    Sav - "Di** Head"
    Joe - "I don't like his trainers"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Can anybody remember a coach from any sport who has slagged fans off for a sustained period like this?

There have of course been outbursts (usually before a sacking) and Mike McLennan's famous tangle with a fan but I can't recall this happening before

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Paul Cullen's Mantra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Can anybody remember a coach from any sport who has slagged fans off for a sustained period like this?

There have of course been outbursts (usually before a sacking) and Mike McLennan's famous tangle with a fan but I can't recall this happening

Long live the king
    “It's been 31 years, since 1974, we last won a major (trophy and) Andrew Johns and Natty (Nathan Wood), our two oldest players were born in 1974 so it's a little bit spooky,”

There is a common trait in teams at this point in the season that they seem to sit back and wait for somebody to win the game for them. And we had too many of our players waiting for someone to win the game.”

"interfacing at the ruck"

"winning the go-forward"

"i thought we won the collision"

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

There have of course been outbursts (usually before a sacking) and Mike McLennan's famous tangle with a fan but I can't recall this happening before

Probably due to the fact he can't seem to answer his critics with what happens on the field. It's his only way of responding. Desperate and in a corner.

Learning All The Songs

Apparently Cunningham sees that there's lots of sparkle about the place! Wonder what he's been polishing?

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saints RFC View Post
    SAINTS face a tough trip to Catalans this Saturday in a game that is vital for their top four hopes.

A win at the Stade Gilbert Brutus would keep them in touch as the regular season enters its crunch point.

But as Keiron Cunningham explains, they will need to be more clinical if they have designs on the two points.

"I thought the effort and enthusiasm in a lot of areas were good against Warrington but we didn't attack well," he said. "You get limited opportunities to take advantage in big games. We were given lots of them but didn't post points. That was one of the side-effects of not having Theo Fages and Jon Wilkin working together for long periods in the build up. We were missing a half which hurt us, but we will get better.

"We have trained with various combinations this week and we already look sharper. Warrington had five chances in the game and took them. We had a lot and didn't take any. It looks like a convincing victory but people don't see how hard the players are working. There are positives in our game at the moment, but we have to transfer them into a complete game. That will will turn us into a real good side.

"We have six games left before the split and the points are vital. There are clubs chasing us down and we'd like to get on some kinda run to chase those down in front of us too. There are lots of tough points along the way to take but we have to start building into something. The signs are good as a group, we are working hard for each other, but we just need to get a complete game together.

"I'd never lose confidence in this group. I believe in what we have here. You look around at the greatness that is still sparkled around the place and the people involved. You can't lose faith in these players.

"They are a good group and are working hard on and off the field but we need that complete package. When we do we will be a good side. There can never be a better week to change things than going to Catalans. The boys are looking forward to playing there."

Ahead of the meeting with the Dragons, Saints will have to go through the concussion protocols for Jordan Turner after he left the field last Friday - whilst Cunningham expects the rest of his injured players to return in the next two to three weeks.

"In an incident like that it is always worse case scenario and we had to take a lot of precautions," Keiron continued. "Fortunately he is ok so we will see how things go. Luke Walsh's injury isn't as bad as we first thought so he will be back well before the split in the league.

"Percy (Mark Percival) isn't too far off as well so in two or three weeks we should have everyone back who we expected to return.

"Everyone is looking at signings at the moment. You have to hold your nerve a little bit and not panic buy especially in a salary capped sport. We have done that in the past and ended up with players for two or three years that haven't worked out.

"We have to be smart about how we do our shopping as the next recruits are the ones that will take us to the promised land. There may be some finances available if the right person came up."

With three losses on the bounce Cunningham knows there is pressure to get back on the winning trail as soon as possible.

"I can't take the criticism personally," he continued. "I'm sure if I could sit down and have a conversation with every fan they would be just as frustrated as me.

"I am a Liverpool fan and I'm sure I have called every Liverpool manager... we are all experts aren't we? People have to understand that behind the scenes me, Eamonn and Mike Rush are working tirelessly hard to get things right at this club. I do believe I am the right man for the job, I know the club inside out and what I don't know about rugby isn't even worth knowing. It has been my life and is all I know.

"I know where we need to head and what we need to do. I am determined, hook or by crook it will happen.

"I knew this year there would be some tough decisions for us and they have come to fruition. It didn't work out with Travis but if you had your time again, and he played like he did at Hull KR, then you would go and sign him. It didn't work out and it's not his fault, or anyone's, now it has got to this point.

"A lot of things get said borne out of frustration. What people want is a resolution into where we are at. That is what we all want. We are working hard to get to that point. We aren't generally far off that and I'm sure if things turn around, we start playing well and get a few recruits then those same people will pat me on the back.

"I am determined to turn everyone's frown upside down and make things a lot better at this club.

"It will happen and I will make sure of that."
    Did he really say that?